History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:47 pm 

ByronC wrote:
Mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I hope they're using as much payload as they can for things which might actually be useful. If they're going to Mars, I'm sure there are loads of people who'd be happy to throw something together. On the other hand, there's probably a limit to how much useful stuff you can do on a rocket that has a good chance of blowing up. And in that case, why not do something silly?

Well considering that SpaceX was founded because Musk felt the Russians were charging to much for a couple of ICBM's to launch a greenhouse to Mars......

In all seriousness it is more interesting than just launching a mass simulator. The first Dragon capsule payload was a giant wheel of cheese.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm 

And when it comes to public perception, that's more than half the battle (and one reason Apollo got truncated, nobody cared anymore). Launching a wheel of cheese or the boss' car is quirky, gets attention, and starts people talking; launching a mass-and-volume sphere of lead does not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:28 pm 

My problem was not with doing something silly and interesting, it was the opportunity cost of not doing something productive with the mass instead. On second thought, though, 'fly experiments as your mass simulator' is going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. I withdraw my partial criticism.

Intelligence can be identified by its rejection of self-deception; by its willingness to admit that it might be wrong; by its insistence upon evidence rather than mere impression; by reasoning that cannot easily be assailed. - Orson Scott Card

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 pm 

ByronC wrote:
My problem was not with doing something silly and interesting, it was the opportunity cost of not doing something productive with the mass instead. On second thought, though, 'fly experiments as your mass simulator' is going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. I withdraw my partial criticism.

I think at some-point the decision was made that with all the delays with the FH that they wanted to go with a payload from SpaceX and not involve any outside parties. Keep everything in-house, they just need to get the rocket off the pad at this point. The first D-IVH launch failed to make its intended orbit. The FH is what going on three years late at this point?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 pm 

Sooo, what does everyone think of this?
The battle for Mars has begun? :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm 

Fuel depots and orbit sweepers. If there was a brain, NASA would give a bounty for either. Not enough to pay for it necessarily, but to take some sting out. Theu wpul d benefit SpaceX too.

Very useful payloads, which we will need lots of eventually, and as test payloads standardized designs would be pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 am 

Another one up, another booster down.

And one more scheduled for the year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:56 pm 

Kunkmiester wrote:
Fuel depots and orbit sweepers. If there was a brain, NASA would give a bounty for either. Not enough to pay for it necessarily, but to take some sting out. Theu wpul d benefit SpaceX too.

Very useful payloads, which we will need lots of eventually, and as test payloads standardized designs would be pretty cheap.

I agree 100% of fuel depots. There has been internal studies within NASA showing that fuel depots would be a cheaper route than developing a SHLV (SLS rocket). However these were suppressed in favor of the big rocket solution.

Going BEO, over 50% of your mass is fuel. It is basically a propellant moving exercise. Fuel depots would give a lot of flexibility and allow more partners to participate etc. However instead we get a monster rocket.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:43 am 

Falcon Heavy Getting Closer

Attachment:
DRezf3BU8AASJRT (1).jpg
DRezf3BU8AASJRT (1).jpg [ 172.03 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Attachment:
DRezf3EVAAAqm2s.jpg
DRezf3EVAAAqm2s.jpg [ 213.74 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Attachment:
DRezf3DUEAAubA3.jpg
DRezf3DUEAAubA3.jpg [ 262.59 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:40 pm 

Looks like the FH payload is ready to go.

Elon has placed the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" in the glove Box.

Attachment:
DRqkjTlUEAEi6fb.jpg
DRqkjTlUEAEi6fb.jpg [ 119.88 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

Attachment:
Roadster2.JPG
Roadster2.JPG [ 118.05 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

Attachment:
Roadster4.JPG
Roadster4.JPG [ 87.2 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

Attachment:
Roadster7.JPG
Roadster7.JPG [ 112.26 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:19 am 

Am I the only one amused by last night’s SpaceX launch causing half of LA and indeed the western US to panic over aliens and North Korean nukes? :D
It was pretty spectacular though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:20 am 

[quote="Micael"]Am I the only one amused by last night’s SpaceX launch causing half of LA and indeed the western US to panic over aliens and North Korean nukes? :D

Well Micael it is LA, like San Francisco and Seatle, nothing outrageous or really really dumb they do surprises me.
Now if something factual and that actually made sense panicked that lot of brain dead fools I would be very, very surprised.

Just another case of "What would you expect from a PIG but a GRUNT?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:44 pm 

OSCSSW wrote:
Micael wrote:
Am I the only one amused by last night’s SpaceX launch causing half of LA and indeed the western US to panic over aliens and North Korean nukes? :D

Well Micael it is LA, like San Francisco and Seatle, nothing outrageous or really really dumb they do surprises me.
Now if something factual and that actually made sense panicked that lot of brain dead fools I would be very, very surprised.

Just another case of "What would you expect from a PIG but a GRUNT?"

Plenty of people in the LA basin new exactly what it was. Even my local Neighborhood Watch facebook group we have a couple of postings by people asking what this was and they were quickly informed it was a Falcon-9 from Vandenberg.

Of course I have to point out that the Falcon 9 was designed and built in LA. :D

Of course the usual pot stirring by Musk.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 30.81 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hang on, he may be right. Thank about it logically and Kim Jong-In being a space alien would make a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:40 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Hang on, he may be right. Thank about it logically and Kim Jong-In being a space alien would make a lot of sense.

What if he’s the only human leader left as the rest of the worldwide political leadership have secretly been replaced by aliens, and the aliens are framing him to get rid of him? :D
*Plays Twilight Zone theme*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:13 pm 

Micael wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

What if he’s the only human leader left as the rest of the worldwide political leadership have secretly been replaced by aliens, and the aliens are framing him to get rid of him? :D
*Plays Twilight Zone theme*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:45 pm 

Navy: "Hold muh beer and I'll draw a dick in the sky!"

Elon Musk and USAF: "We see your dick in the sky and raise you a giant space sperm."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:16 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:

Did you think Team America: World Police was fictional?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm 

Any we have gone vertial for a fit check.

Attachment:
FH0.5-Small.jpg
FH0.5-Small.jpg [ 405.83 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 am 

If "if it looks right, it flies right" holds true, that bird will fly like a dream.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next