History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: The Falcon Has landed!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:13 pm 

Falcon 9 1st stage has successfully landed on "Of Course I still love You".

Attachment:
4-8-2016 1-54-46 PM.jpg
4-8-2016 1-54-46 PM.jpg [ 53.33 KiB | Viewed 1573 times ]

Attachment:
4-8-2016 1-54-47 PM.jpg
4-8-2016 1-54-47 PM.jpg [ 103.17 KiB | Viewed 1573 times ]

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:32 pm 

I'll cheer more when they do again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:37 pm 

Very good. Of course in a reliability sense, adding the requirement for landing at a very precise coordinate is a risk multiplier, I need to read up on their logic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm 

WarshipAdmin wrote:
Very good. Of course in a reliability sense, adding the requirement for landing at a very precise coordinate is a risk multiplier, I need to read up on their logic.

A risk multiplier in what sense, the recovery of the booster?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31 pm 

WarshipAdmin wrote:

Landing on the barge means they don't have to fish it out of the water, nor deal with immersion of the components (just spray).

IF they can make the 10-20 flight floor for reuse and 100 flight refurbishment numbers work, then it really pays off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:29 am 

Video: https://youtu.be/KsppGGseBow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:25 am 

It was first due to nasa rules about landing at the pad. Later it was because they want the flexibility of where to land--if you can land downrange, you need less delta v for the landing and can thus put it in the payload.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:35 am 

Three thumbs and a frosty mug raised to SpaceX on a job well done! (Wait one...if I'm seeing three thumbs, it might be time to put the frosty mug DOWN! :lol: ).

On a practical note...what's the plan now that the booster is parked on the barge? I can't see the barge moving too fast, and I can't help but wonder just how stable that booster is. Do they bring it all the way to shore like that? If so, how long is the trip? If not, when does an at-sea security team meet up with the drone ship?

On a curious note...didn't the last two attempts at a barge landing come down to starboard before they failed? I notice that this one is offset from the barge centerline, and I'm wondering if that's coincidence, some oddity in the landing system, or some oddity in my memory (or some combination of all of the above).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:37 am 

NASA has posted a series of video's recently by Dan Rasky. He is a senior scientist that worked on the COTS project and worked at SpaceX for several years as a NASA employee to assist SpaceX with the development of the heat-shield for Dragon. Because of his experience working at both NASA and SpaceX he brings a interesting view-point on the differences of culture and how SpaceX works and its culture is different than traditional aerospace companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUiIhyhp0XU
SpaceX's use of Sparse Matrix Engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq-_2fiYiyY
Applying Software Design Process to Aerospace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qgBuIO6n4
SpaceX's collaborative Design approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMLDAgDNOhk
SpaceX's use of rapid prototyping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNvqiFRw0FY
SpaceX's Collaborative work environment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:42 am 

Brother Stormhammer wrote:
Three thumbs and a frosty mug raised to SpaceX on a job well done! (Wait one...if I'm seeing three thumbs, it might be time to put the frosty mug DOWN! :lol: ).

On a practical note...what's the plan now that the booster is parked on the barge? I can't see the barge moving too fast, and I can't help but wonder just how stable that booster is. Do they bring it all the way to shore like that? If so, how long is the trip? If not, when does an at-sea security team meet up with the drone ship?

On a curious note...didn't the last two attempts at a barge landing come down to starboard before they failed? I notice that this one is offset from the barge centerline, and I'm wondering if that's coincidence, some oddity in the landing system, or some oddity in my memory (or some combination of all of the above).

There is a support boat this is nearby, but not to close. After the landing a team goes on-board the drone ship and "safes" the booster and basically welds shoes to secure the booster to the drone ship. After this the drone ship will be brought back to shore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:36 pm 

brovane wrote:
Brother Stormhammer wrote:

There is a support boat this is nearby, but not to close. After the landing a team goes on-board the drone ship and "safes" the booster and basically welds shoes to secure the booster to the drone ship. After this the drone ship will be brought back to shore.

Considering that the booster is mostly a couple empty tanks with most of the mass at the bottom there shouldn't be very much stability issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:24 pm 

The downrange dry landing argument is the big one I think. In interviews Musk seems to be the poster-boy for cocky rich geek, but his companies are continuing to get runs on the scoreboard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 pm 

WarshipAdmin wrote:
The downrange dry landing argument is the big one I think. In interviews Musk seems to be the poster-boy for cocky rich geek, but his companies are continuing to get runs on the scoreboard.

Minor quibble, if he can back up his talk, he's confident not cocky.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 pm 

WarshipAdmin wrote:

With liquid fueled rocket's the only option is to do a dry landing. If the booster landed in the Ocean the booster would quickly break apart under the wave action. The landing hardware has minimal cost and has minimal impact on the payload, about 15% penalty for a downrange drone ship landing. Consider that even with the re-usability hardware SpaceX is offering launch prices lower than anyone else. The key for SpaceX is to show that they can improve their launch tempo. They have a lot of customers that are waiting for their launches.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:00 pm 

That was a "nothing-but-net" landing! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:14 pm 

I'd like to see once a month. Don't have a customer(in could see many launches on their schedule not being ready yet)? You have two options: send up junk plows to clear orbits, or send up tankers. The latter I'd see as a second stage designed to carry as much liquid as possible. Put it in a parking orbit for now, it'll be useful later. Like ocean shipping at the turn of the twentieth or so(as I recall), if you send it, they will come.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:24 pm 

Dragon has been berthed to the ISS. For the first time both a Cygnus and Dragon space craft are docked to the ISS at the same time. This is the capability that NASA wanted years ago when they first started the COTS program.

Attachment:
2016-04-10-150032.jpg
2016-04-10-150032.jpg [ 190.32 KiB | Viewed 1360 times ]

Dragon over Dubai.

Attachment:
CfsHKQYWIAQzwH0.jpg
CfsHKQYWIAQzwH0.jpg [ 440.46 KiB | Viewed 1360 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 am 

WarshipAdmin wrote:

I don't think you'll be able to find much. A friend at SpaceX told me the trades showed this was the way to go, but that the trades in question were proprietary. I remain somewhat skeptical.

Intelligence can be identified by its rejection of self-deception; by its willingness to admit that it might be wrong; by its insistence upon evidence rather than mere impression; by reasoning that cannot easily be assailed. - Orson Scott Card

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:23 am 

ByronC wrote:
WarshipAdmin wrote:

I don't think you'll be able to find much. A friend at SpaceX told me the trades showed this was the way to go, but that the trades in question were proprietary. I remain somewhat skeptical.

Hasn't BO arrived at a similar conclusion for the New Shepard? I do find it interesting that two different commercial space launch companies using private funds arrive at similar methods for booster re-usability.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 pm 

The CRS-8 booster is back on dry land.

Attachment:
2wZGnmR.jpg
2wZGnmR.jpg [ 131.78 KiB | Viewed 1237 times ]

All the critics of SpaceX.

Attachment:
spacexdoingitwrong.jpg
spacexdoingitwrong.jpg [ 131.56 KiB | Viewed 1237 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next