History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:56 pm 

The Cassini Space Probe died today after spending 20 years traveling the solar system. Running low on fuel, it was deliberately flown into Saturn's atmosphere to prevent it from contaminating any future discoveries since it is possible that the moons Enceladus and Titan could be habitable for some form of life.

For about a minute, Cassini was able to transmit new data about the planet's composition as long as its antenna remained pointed toward Earth, with the assist from small thrusters. Then, the spacecraft burned and disintegrated due to the heat and high pressure of the hostile atmosphere. It became part of the planet it set out to explore. On Thursday, Cassini took its last images and transmitted all the data on its recorder to prepare for the final plunge.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:10 am 

One can't help but feel sorry for the valiant robot that is commanded to destroy itself as its final act after decades of loyal service. Same for the Mars rovers, not helped by NASA having one of them play itself 'Happy Birthday' every year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:55 am 

I remember staying up late in college to watch the orbit insertion.

Farewell, Cassini...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Meanwhile, I've seen reports the V...ger has definitely entered interstellar space, and has reported that deep space is pervaded with a prominent radio hiss.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:16 pm 

The Onion's Take

Quote:
Cassini Probe Realizes Too Late This Was A Setup All Along

SATURN—Breaking apart as it plunged through the heat and crushing pressure of the planet’s atmosphere, sources said Friday that the Cassini probe realized far too late that its entire 20-year mission to Saturn had been a setup all along. “Those assholes!” the spacecraft reportedly screamed, now fully aware that the “backstabbing sensually caresses” at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory had directed it to plummet toward the planet at 77,000 mph to disintegrate. “They told me we’d meet up to refuel at a rendezvous point out near Alpha Centauri A—I’m such an idiot! They were just using me this whole time for my cosmic dust analysis and magnetosphere imaging. I mean, I delivered the Huygens probe to Titan for you, you bastards! You lying scientist bastards!” At press time, communications from Cassini had gone totally silent, prompting everyone at mission control to burst into applause.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:29 pm 

A huge thank you to the men and women around the world who designed, tested, built, and controlled Cassini–Huygens. Some may have been working on it for almost 30 years.

edit: I posted this link back in July. A great collection of some of the photo returned.
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/ ... rn/529482/