History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:50 am 

FWIW, I am still a big fan of 50's & 60's B Sci Fi movies. Area 51 was a pretty common backdrop in some of them. So this article got my attention. I must ask the question.

What is going on at Area 51?

The tragic death of Lieutenant Colonel Eric Schultz last week on a weapons testing range in Nevada has attracted an inordinate amount of interests.

And it’s because of what we don't know.

The US Air Force has pointedly refused to reveal what aircraft he was at the controls of when the fatal accident occurred. It also took them three days to even admit his death.

This is in stark contrast to another accident, at the same range, in the same week. Details of an accident involving two A-10 ground-attack jets which forced their pilots to eject were released within hours.

So what could possibly cause such reluctance to reveal the circumstances of Schultz’ death?

“I can definitely say it was not an F-35,” Chief of Staff of the Air Force General David L. Goldfein stated at the weekend.

He was responding to speculation that this accident involved the highly controversial stealth fighter, and that this was being covered-up to protect its already bruised reputation.

The F-35 Lightning II has recently suffered several engine fires — one of which injured a pilot. It has also been the subject of warnings surrounding its ejection seat which — when combined with the weight and shape of its advanced helmet — could break the neck of its pilots. Any truth in this?

But it wasn’t and F-35. So what was it?

The USAF is remaining tight-lipped.

All we know is the unspecified aircraft crashed about 6pm some 200km northwest of Nellis Air Force Base in the Nevada Test and Training range. This range is also home to the extremely secretive “Area 51” research and development facility.

Everything from crashed alien spacecraft (My BET ;) ) to the next-generation Blackbird ultra-fast surveillance jet are said to be housed here.

But we don’t actually know. It’s secret.

The USAF also admitted the unknown aircraft was being operated by the Air Force Materiel Command. This is the unit that funds and operates aircraft research — and facilities like Area 51 (Groom Lake).

So analysts have been pouring through declassified reports into activities in the Nevada area to glean whatever clues they can.

STEALTH COUNTERMEASURES: It was reported last year that the famous F-117 Nighthawk attack jets — used to eliminate Saddam Hussein’s air defences in the opening minutes of Operation Desert Storm in 1990 — had been brought back from retirement. Aviation enthusiasts captured its distinctive shape in the air, and on the ground, around the Groom Lake (Area 51) facility. Analysts speculate examples of the aircraft may have been reactivated to further test stealth technologies amid fears new Russian and Chinese sensors may have already negated much of the ultra-expensive F-35’s stealth advantage. (Any truth to this?)But the return of the F-117 has not yet been admitted by the USAF. Why would you be using 40 year old technology to test against the Russian and Chicoms latest Anti-stealth sensors?

THREAT EVALUATION: There is evidence the United States may have gotten its hands on one of Russia’s most capable combat jets — the Su-27P. This one I definitely buy because it is operated by Ukrain which means we have access to it any time we want, if "The price is right" :lol: :lol: . A secret really worth keeping would be the Sukhoi-35 or the ChiComm Chengdu J-20 if only to prove just how behind they are. Remember the Mig 25 bugaboo until an enterprising Ruskie "stole" one and gave it to us? Turned out the Mig 25 was fatally flawed especially it's revolutionary engines.While it first entered service in 1985, this jet is the basis upon which many of Russia’s current frontline warplanes have been built. These are widely regarded to be more manoeuvrable than equivalent Western aircraft, such as the F-15 Eagle and F-18 Hornet. At least one of these was seen engaged in a mock dogfight with a USAF F-16 Falcon near Area 51 late last year. The presence of these Russian-built aircraft has not been officially admitted, however, and explaining away a fatal crash involving one could prove an unwanted embarrassment for the Pentagon.

NEXT-GENERATION BOMBER: In January 2016, the Pentagon announced it had chosen a design to replace its ancient fleet of B-52 bombers, as well as its 1980s-era B-1B Lancer bombers. The $55 billion Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider is supposed to be a cut-price stealth design, building upon the technology already established by the B-2 Spirit. But everything about the project — including its true budget — is top secret. Whether or not a flying prototype of the B-21 exists is uncertain, but there was speculation in 2015 that Northrop Grumman had taken the gamble of building one to help it win the lucrative deal. Such a prototype would almost certainly undergo secretive testing in a location like the Nevada range.

This story originally appeared in news.com.au

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 pm 
Legendary Overlord

there are lots of "interesting things" that go on at Area 51......

;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Nightwatch2 wrote:

;)

Mainly, distracting everyone's attention away from Area 52. :twisted:

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm 
Legendary Overlord

edgeplay_cgo wrote:
Nightwatch2 wrote:

;)

Mainly, distracting everyone's attention away from Area 52. :twisted:

shhhhhh...................!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm 

I've read something that says that MiG-25 Victor Belenko defected in was dissembled and loaded on to a C-5 to be taken to an airfield in Japan for closer study. It was then given back to the Soviets in pieces. The 'truth' was that it never got to that airfield. Instead, it ended up at Area-51 were it was reassembled, test flown by Belenko against USAF jet, disassembled again, flown back to Japan, and then given back to the Soviets. In pieces because when they tried to reassemble it again they had parts left over and no time to figure out where they went.

Fiction no doubt but who knows? :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:56 pm 

Actually Area 52 is a Portland, OR bar and grill

https://www.yelp.com/biz/area-52-bar-an ... portland-2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am 

Going a tad off-topic here, but I need this clarified. In "Red Eagles: America’s Secret MiGs", the author states that Area 51 is not the name or codeword for the installations at Groom Lake but was originally an annotation on the pilots maps denoting the air space over Groom lake. Can anyone confirm this? Preferably before my account gets shut down and the black Chevvies turn up?

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 am 

Andy L wrote:
Going a tad off-topic here, but I need this clarified. In "Red Eagles: America’s Secret MiGs", the author states that Area 51 is not the name or codeword for the installations at Groom Lake but was originally an annotation on the pilots maps denoting the air space over Groom lake. Can anyone confirm this? Preferably before my account gets shut down and the black Chevvies turn up?

It's adjacent to "Area 15" at the Nevada Test Site; they may have used the terminology to suggest that it was AEC-owned, not CIA/USAF.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 am 

and so nobody thinks about Area B7R.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am 

In 2008 the location got the official name of Homey Airport with the ICAO code KXTA.
Notably the government appear unwilling to reveal where this "Homey" name originates from.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 am 

Marko Dash wrote:
and so nobody thinks about Area B7R.

Ah... I got that reference :P
So long as you don't run across Solo Wing and him....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm 

Well, Area 52 is nothing important. It's just a facility associated with the Deep Space Radar Telemetry Program which has nothing to do with alien artifacts that enable off world travel through wormholes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 pm 

Newsflash: Area 51 to stop all time travel experiments effective yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:02 pm 

Micael wrote:
In 2008 the location got the official name of Homey Airport with the ICAO code KXTA.
Notably the government appear unwilling to reveal where this "Homey" name originates from.

When this was announced/leaked/released however it came out, I looked in the navigation database of the C-17 to see if it was there. Nope.
I recall seeing it on a civil system recently, but that might be due to our Simulation tool which was X-plane. I don't recall whether I saw it on that program (Honeywell Bendix KSN 770), an Embraer, of Gulfstream project.

Airnav.com and Skyvector.com do not list it, though AirportNavfinder.com does. The last is a community supported site specifically for the Sim community and I think that was where our X-Plane tool got its Airport data.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 am 

OSCSSW wrote:

What is going on at Area 51?

Aside from being an illegal chemical dump?

Quote:
“I can definitely say it was not an F-35,” Chief of Staff of the Air Force General David L. Goldfein stated at the weekend.

He was responding to speculation that this accident involved the highly controversial stealth fighter, and that this was being covered-up to protect its already bruised reputation.

The F-35 Lightning II has recently suffered several engine fires — one of which injured a pilot. It has also been the subject of warnings surrounding its ejection seat which — when combined with the weight and shape of its advanced helmet — could break the neck of its pilots. Any truth in this?

But it wasn’t and F-35. So what was it?

The USAF is remaining tight-lipped.

Likely a classified asset. The F-117 spent it's first 20 years completely classified

Quote:
Everything from crashed alien spacecraft (My BET ;) )

Maybe a spacecraft, one of ours

...more accurately an X-20 used for crew transfer/resupply

Quote:
STEALTH COUNTERMEASURES: It was reported last year that the famous F-117 Nighthawk attack jets — used to eliminate Saddam Hussein’s air defences in the opening minutes of Operation Desert Storm in 1990 — had been brought back from retirement. Aviation enthusiasts captured its distinctive shape in the air, and on the ground, around the Groom Lake (Area 51) facility. Analysts speculate examples of the aircraft may have been reactivated to further test stealth technologies amid fears new Russian and Chinese sensors may have already negated much of the ultra-expensive F-35’s stealth advantage. (Any truth to this?)But the return of the F-117 has not yet been admitted by the USAF. Why would you be using 40 year old technology to test against the Russian and Chicoms latest Anti-stealth sensors?

Possible, use an existing geometry to evaluate effectiveness of new RAM treatment

And the gap is shirking with RADAR filtering, OPFOR is no doubt exaggerating marginal gains though.

The F-35 and the F-22 were always Diet-Stealth, they were never conceptualized to match the F-117 and B-2. The Lightning and the Raptor were meant to give us a few seconds advantage.

Quote:
NEXT-GENERATION BOMBER: In January 2016, the Pentagon announced it had chosen a design to replace its ancient fleet of B-52 bombers, as well as its 1980s-era B-1B Lancer bombers. The $55 billion Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider is supposed to be a cut-price stealth design, building upon the technology already established by the B-2 Spirit. But everything about the project — including its true budget — is top secret. Whether or not a flying prototype of the B-21 exists is uncertain, but there was speculation in 2015 that Northrop Grumman had taken the gamble of building one to help it win the lucrative deal. Such a prototype would almost certainly undergo secretive

Where's the second corpse? The Raider is a two man bird like the B-2

And I doubt that a "light" bomber like the Raider will actually replace two "Heavy" bombers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 am 

One possibility is that there is an aerodynamic test-bed for the B-21 (I hate that designation) flying to validate the basic design. It's also possible that aerodynamic test bed worked so well it's been weaponized to produce a new light attack aircraft.

Remember also, there's Bomber 37 in the wings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
One possibility is that there is an aerodynamic test-bed for the B-21 (I hate that designation) flying to validate the basic design. It's also possible that aerodynamic test bed worked so well it's been weaponized to produce a new light attack aircraft.

Remember also, there's Bomber 37 in the wings.

Pourqoui?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:51 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Pourqoui?

Because it's massively out-of-sequence, makes a complete nonsense of the designation system and screws up the continuity. B-4 we could have lived with and B2I (which is what I suspect the NG pitch designation actually was) was also livable.

B-21 is just a small example that shows just how monumentally stupid, ignorant and retarded the entire Obama administration (individually and collectively) was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:
Pourqoui?

Because it's massively out-of-sequence, makes a complete nonsense of the designation system and screws up the continuity. B-4 we could have lived with and B2I (which is what I suspect the NG pitch designation actually was) was also livable.

B-21 is just a small example that shows just how monumentally stupid, ignorant and retarded the entire Obama administration (individually and collectively) was.

B-1A I know of, B-1B I know of, B-2 I know of, B-3 I'm ignorant of... B-2I(mproved?) I can kind of get. Forgive my hyphenations if that's a word- I'm into inventing words today.

What is the problem with skipping numbers-in-sequence? It's not like the whole type designations didn't flip-flop around a few times anyway...

(/dons battle bowler and retreats to hard cover)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:
Pourqoui?

B-1A I know of, B-1B I know of, B-2 I know of, B-3 I'm ignorant of... B-2I(mproved?) I can kind of get. Forgive my hyphenations if that's a word- I'm into inventing words today.

What is the problem with skipping numbers-in-sequence? It's not like the whole type designations didn't flip-flop around a few times anyway...

(/dons battle bowler and retreats to hard cover)

Personally I thought it was worse with the F-35 since it re-used an existing NATO designation. Not that there was any real risk for confusion but it seemed rather ignorant and disrespectful.