History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The End is Here!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 pm 

THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING UNDER THE WATER WEIGHT FROM MELTING GLACIERS, AND IT’S AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS
BY DANA DOVEY ON 1/7/18 AT 8:00 AM

http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change- ... els-772862

So much extra water is being added to the world’s oceans from melting glaciers that the ocean floor is sinking underneath the increasing weight. This ocean floor deformation also means we have miscalculated just how much ocean levels are rising, and the problem could be far worse than previously believed.

Over the past 20 years, ocean basins have sunk an average of 0.004 inches per year. This means that the ocean is 0.08 inches deeper than it was two decades ago. While this small fragment of an inch may not seem much, oceans cover 70 percent of our planet, making the problem bigger than it seems at first glance.

Related: NASA Map Reveals Drastic U.S. Weather Change In Past Eight Years
In a study published online in Geophysical Research Levels, researchers explain how they used a mathematical equation known as the elastic sea level equation to more accurately measure the ocean floor. This allowed them to see how much the bottom of the ocean floor has changed from 1993 to 2014. While they are not the first scientists to look at the ocean floor, this is the first time that researchers have taken into account how additional water from melted ice may have further stretched that floor, LiveScience reported.

The results show that the ocean is changing in ways we didn't realize and is sinking further into the earth’s crust. As a result, scientists have underestimated how much sea levels are rising by as much as 8 percent. The study concludes by emphasizing that future sea level measurement should take ocean floor deformation into account in order to more accurately understand how our oceans are evolving.

Related: Snow In Hawaii? Mauna Kea Covered In Up To 8 Inches Of Snow
All the water on the planet today is all the water that has ever existed on the planet, but not all water is in its liquid form. Recently, rising temperatures have caused much of the frozen water on the planet’s glaciers to melt and join the ocean as liquid. This mass melting of ice has raised sea levels, a problem whose consequences we’re already starting to see. The first people to notice the repercussions of rising sea levels are those who live in coastal areas. Rising waters mean less land to live on. In addition, more water in the ocean means that ocean storms, such as hurricanes, have the potential to be stronger and more devastating, National Geographic reported.

Small coastal areas won’t be the only ones to disappear due to rising waters, and if current estimates are correct, by 2100 the ocean will rise between 11 and 38 inches, a number that could mean that much of the U.S. east coast will be covered in water, National Geographic reported.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: The End is Here!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 pm 

"The ocean floor is sinking, so sea level rise is being compensated for, but you're all still gonna drown from climate change!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 pm 

You should read the comments section at the link. Best one: Add sponges to the ocean to suck up the extra water. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:33 pm 

Just so long as the sinking ocean floor doesn't release the huge amounts of trapped water in the subterranean reservoirs that will make the Earth a waterworld.

Roughly the plot of Stephen Baxter's "Flood" novel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_(Baxter_novel)
I liked it but it was depressing...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Considering that the Earth is not particularly compressible, this means that the land masses have risen .08 / .70 = 0.11 inches.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
Mockingbird

Or perhaps the diameter of the earth has increased by some tiny fraction!

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pm 

Belushi TD wrote:
Or perhaps the diameter of the earth has increased by some tiny fraction!

The shape has certainly changed - there is little or no difference at the equator but quite a lot at the poles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 pm 
Mockingbird

I specifically did not define the direction the diameter should be measured. Polar diameter is something like 30 miles less than that at the equator.

You can choose any variation and make the difference fit whatever number you come up with when you crunch the numbers with a 0.08 difference in ocean depth.

See? I'm learning how to fudge numbers from the environmentalists!

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 am 

nomad990 wrote:
Just so long as the sinking ocean floor doesn't release the huge amounts of trapped water in the subterranean reservoirs that will make the Earth a waterworld.

Roughly the plot of Stephen Baxter's "Flood" novel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_(Baxter_novel)

Loved that, a bit depressing indeed, but the "100m ocean water increase from global warming" scenario certainly seemed less alarming once you came up to 6000m chapter ;)

But I think that water would have come out at some other time if this could happen. The Deccan Traps eruption, Chixculub, other more ancient even more energetic impacts since then erased by geo deformation were not enough -- then I doubt we will be enough to do the trick.

Besides, if it happened IRL it would probably play out over epochal timescales. We would have enough time to find free energy and turn the Earth into a star before water could pull any existential tricks on us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am 

CosmicalStorm wrote:
nomad990 wrote:

Loved that, a bit depressing indeed, but the "100m ocean water increase from global warming" scenario certainly seemed less alarming once you came up to 6000m chapter ;)

But I think that water would have come out at some other time if this could happen. The Deccan Traps eruption, Chixculub, other more ancient even more energetic impacts since then erased by geo deformation were not enough -- then I doubt we will be enough to do the trick.

Besides, if it happened IRL it would probably play out over epochal timescales. We would have enough time to find free energy and turn the Earth into a star before water could pull any existential tricks on us.

I think they've found that there is huge amounts of water down in the mantle but its so scattered and locked in it'll never all leak out at once.

Baxter also wrote a sequel "Ark" and three short stories that tie up things. "Earth II" "Earth III" "Earth 0".