History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:02 pm 

It was my understanding that the operational version, theF-11F-1 had an after burning J65 engine, and that was why it had M1.1 speed, and a high altitude performance hump, though much smaller than the F-100, for example. Is that incorrect?

Something like this F-11F-1 is the main USN production version with 199 built.

F-11F-1 SAC here http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F11F-1 ... e_1957.pdf

Shows a J65 with something like 7500lb dry and 10,000lb thrust with reheat.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:19 pm 

The developed version was the F11F-2* which had an afterburning J79 (Dry thrust: 12,533 lb; thrust with afterburner: 17,000 lb) replacing the J65 which would have boosted the aircraft to Mach 2.04. This was the version that was being offered to the Japanese in competition with the F-104 and to the US Navy in competition with the F8U. It lost in both cases. My understanding is that the main problem was that the engine was fuel-thirsty compared with the J65 and the aircraft had short legs as a result. I also understand it was a very pleasant aircraft to fly, docile yet responsive.

* The prototype was converted from an F11F-1 and was designated the F11-1F.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:30 am 

Yes, well aware of the M2.0, J79 powered SuperTiger, beloved of whit-if merchants and and frequently propounded alt history carrier/ light carrier fighter for the 60's.

I think Wabpilot on warships1 did the best job of discrediting it when he pointed out that when ASM went down to low level, USN fighters with 1960's radar technolgy had to go lower to see them, look up and out of the clutter, hence two seats were essential, one to fly low and one with the head in the hood.

I was refering to the F11F-1, which while only M1.1, and only fitted with an asthmatic reheat, J65 should still have a significant performance edge over 30,000ft v the period threats, compared to a number of Hunter variants at least. 30mm Aden guns are no help if you cannot make an interception, nor easily get in a position to make an attack.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:48 am 

Ah wabpilot. A very interesting man indeed. His story about the Schraeder valve letting go was... amusing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 am 

Stupid question inspired by musings of making a Blackhawks movie: is there enough data on the Grumman Skyrocket to plug into this model?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am 

Poohbah wrote:
Stupid question inspired by musings of making a Blackhawks movie: is there enough data on the Grumman Skyrocket to plug into this model?

I'll look into it, see what I can come up with. The problem is that the aircraft changed radically during its development period as a result of early deficiencies and its disentangling which performance datums apply to what,