History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Where/Are you involved with a Scouting type youth group?
What's Scouting? 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never joined as youth or adult 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Was in another outdoors/leadership development organization 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Scouting youth member, but stopped before Eagle Scout 44%  44%  [ 26 ]
Eagle Scout (or rough equivalent for other organizations) 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Children joined, but I didn't 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Adult membership in Scouting 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Adult Leadership in Scouting 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Adult Leadership in other similar youth organization. 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 59
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:57 pm 

As a result of the discussion about the BSA in the Politics board, I thought I find out the involvement of the board members with either scouting or similar youth organizations. For the adult leadership, I mean as something more than obligatory showing up because the son or daughter was in the respective group.

Please explain responses for other organizations or for foreign members to provide context.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:07 pm 

I was in the standard boy scouts outfit for a while here in Sweden.
Quit as I didn't quite find it to be my thing.

I help a bit (hence I checked the adult leadership box) with what I think is a much better option here from when you've turned 15, the Homeguard youth organization.
You get outdoors training and also fun stuff such as a first aid, comms, CBRN, and get to shoot, .22LR until you're 17 then 7.62x55. From age 17 you can also get leadership training and such.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:13 pm 

I made it up to First Class in BSA before life got too busy to continue- I enjoyed it, but by the end I was just going through the motions.
I also participated in Sea Scouts for a little while. That was on borrowed time as soon as there ended up being the situation of "Me and the other members were on time. The leadership of the (small) troupe however, were 4 hours late."

But, it taught me a lot, and I wouldn't really trade that for anything else if I could, it was a great time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 pm 

I was a Cub Scout for two years. Don't remember much of it, though I did run into my old Pack leader a few months ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm 

Was a Cub for a few years. Decided that I didn't want to progress on to the Scouts when I reached the age limit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am 

I wish people would be more careful with their acronyms - I've been thinking that Hillary Clinton joined the scouts for the past week!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 am 

I actually completed the requirements for the Queens' Scout Award - so far as I can tell, the nearest British equivalent to Eagle Scout - but was clearly on my way out of the organisation then so never formally requested the award. Ho hum. I'm now looking to come back in as an adult leader.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 am 
Mockingbird

Two years as a cub scout. Decided it wasn't for me.

Now I'm officially a girl scout. Apparently, I'm the only dad in my town who meets the following requirements:

1. First aid and CPR certified
2. Can ice skate
3. WILLING TO DO IT and
4. Is a girl scout.

So, every year the girl scouts in my town do an ice skating event. You need a certain number of chaperones who meet all four of those above mentioned requirements. The first year, I volunteered and they told us that I had to be a girl scout. So my wife went and filled out the paperwork and sent in a check for the dues. The check number was 666.

So I do the cookie dad thing and do the ice skating chaperone thing. I've helped chaperone a couple of meetings as well.

There's a serious issue with volunteerism in my elder daughter's grade. There's three people who do all the work, the troop leader, the assistant troop leader and my wife the treasurer. None of the other parents are interested in helping. Its both sad to see and really annoying to me. But trying to get others to volunteer is next to impossible.

On the plus side, my wife got me a t shirt that says "Man enough to be a girl scout".

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am 

I was a Cub Scout for a few years, but went into the Royal Canadian Army Cadets. Humping through the bush with a ruck and no sleep appealed to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

My father had been an Assistant Scoutmaster for about a year when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. He dropped out "because of the politics." Perhaps as a result, he never encouraged me to get into Scouting. I spent my youth with a couple of f(r)iends trying to invent Scouting.

When I was in ROTC, my Mil Sci professor roped me into taking an Assistant Scoutmaster slot in a local troop. Our Scoutmaster was SM in name only, he wasn't well enough to go into the field. He was an interesting old coot, though. During WW-II ge was a Fallschirmjager.

His unit would drop behind Russian lines and exfiltrate out, gathering information as they went. "The last time we jumped, we had to walk 500 km to get yo German lines, including swimming the Vistula in the winter. When we got to German lines, we kept walking until we reached American lines."

I was Assistant SM for a troop in Washington State for a while, but got posted to England.

When I was posted by my company to the UK, I became Scoutmaster of a BSA troop in the UK. We used British Scouting facilities, but maintained our BSA identity because the US and UK advancement systems were not entirely parallel, so we opted to stay in the same system the kids started in, and would hopefully finish in.

I later served as Assistant Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster for a troop in Illinois. We were a camping troop. Every month, rain or shine. It was great. I pretty much left Scouting when I divorced, as I learned that my ex-wife was spreading nasty rumors about me. BSA didn't need that.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 pm 

I dated one.

My brother in law worked for both the BSA in California and the GSA in NoDak. He still does high ropes courses for them, but was super happy to quit the GSA when my niece was born. He and another coworker described it as 'escaping' from the GSA. The GSA apparently had major 'hostile workplace' issues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 pm 

When I saw the thread title I was expecting something about boys with Lee Enfield rifles and classic motorcycles. Sadly this is not the case. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 am 

I was a Cub then moved onto Scouts until I was 11 or so, when the local group closed down due to declining membership; the former scout hall is now a martial arts place emblazoned with a sign advertising 'street survival', which is something of a sad comment of the way Australian society has changed over the last quarter of a century.

As a teenager, I was in the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, which was enjoyable and enriching. I was partway through my Gold Award when the combination of the final years of schooling, university and teenage idiocy lead to that petering out.

Looking back, I do wish I had been more involved in both and approached things more proactively.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:41 pm 

Like Simon I joined the Cubs then the Scouts. There were no Eagle Scouts. Next up was Rangers.

I left at about 14 years and later joined the army cadets at my high school. Only one of two state schools in NSW at that time to have cadets.

They were experiences better having than not, seen from the perspective of one 54 years of age.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 am 

I was in Cubs and Scouts. When i was 12 or 13 we moved and the new scout troop were not a patch on the old one and I gave up on them. About the same time I joined the CCF which had the great advantage that it was in school hours. The downside was male bovine excrement spit and polish and square bashing (I don't actually mind drill, within limits), and the uniforms were pretty horrid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:10 pm 

Scouts here, to about 14. I can't remember why I stopped going, probably the shift to high school.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:04 am 

I eschewed the Scouts entirely in favour of my school's CCF contingent. I got to play with LMGs and rifles instead of learning knots. I must say, I don't regret it in the slightest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:25 pm 

I did the full advancement from Cubs all the way up to Eagle. Of course, I had two motivations. One: my parents made getting my driver's license contingent upon earning my Eagle first, so I got it when I was 15. Second, my church (LDS) was a huge supporter of the BSA, so there was some push from that side as well to get that and then go serve a mission. As soon as I got my Eagle though, I pretty much quit doing any merit badges and just hung around to go on the camp outs and other activities.

As an adult, I've been asked to be in various leadership positions for my church group throughout the years.

*edit: spelling and added a sentence.

I must study politics and war, you see, so that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons must study navigation, commerce and agriculture, so that their children will have the right to study painting, poetry and music.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm 

Started as a Scout.
Troop dissolved.
Myself and two other Canadian Scouts picked up for the Cub Scouts.
Did all of the requirements for 1st Class except time and had them signed.
Moved to Va. started with the church troop and they promptly ditched all the work I'd done.
Left and didn't look back.

4-H leader for GeoSciences and Aerospace in Columbia county for 2 years club folded later as there weren't enough kids anymore.
4-H leader for GeoSciences, Modeling, Aerospace in Green County. We go fossil hunting 3rd Sunday in Oct. You're welcome to join us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:24 am 

Started as a Beaver when I was six, carried on through Cubs and Scouts until I hit thirteen and joined the Air Training Corps. I had so much fun as a cadet that I did another four and a half years as an adult instructor before a combination of Uni and internal politics made me decide I'd had enough.

My only regret is not completing Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award. Otherwise I had sufficient firearms and aircraft based fun to keep me very happy.