History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nice project
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 am 

Just been to visit a labor of love being built by a local architect. He's taken 100 acres of old cow pasture and is planting groves of all sorts of trees on it, and rehabilitating the creek, which over the last 150 years has eroded to a 10m deep bramble and willow filled horror story. He's set up a trust so the thing is not going to turn onto a housing estate any time soon.

One thing he's doing with the creek is emphasizing how if you are prepared to wait for 5-10 years the native plants can fight back against the invasive weeds. (Not the brambles so much, he sprays and burns them). He's turning it into a longitudinal marsh, that is, reed beds and pools all the way along.

http://www.frogwood.com.au/

I was mainly interested in the creek, as our creek is a 4m deep horror story, basically it gets scoured to rock once every couple of years.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Nice project
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:02 am 

The site has quite a planned, artificial look to it. But I applaud the thought and the basic premise.

A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:58 pm 

That was deliberate. I don't understand why he did it that way. Yesterday he said he was more interested in the creek rehab for now than the trees, which are mostly less than 1.5m high, and don't really change much from year to year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:23 am 

Maybe he planted that way for erosion control, wind breaks etc. I have seen it done like that elsewhere.

Jotun, when the trees and shrubs mature the vista will be somewhat less neat than typical Western European vistas.

I like the name. When the marshes are settled there will be a cacophony of frogs! The noise from my pond alone is quite impressive. Should get bearded dragons too.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 am 

I'm thinking about putting a vertical reed bed on one bank, basically a series of channels linked by small overflows. Then i can run the muddy water from the creek through them and get nice clear water. We already have a loud chorus of frogs about as loud as the cicadas. Trouble is the snakes love reeds. And frogs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am 

WarshipAdmin wrote:
I'm thinking about putting a vertical reed bed on one bank, basically a series of channels linked by small overflows. Then i can run the muddy water from the creek through them and get nice clear water. We already have a loud chorus of frogs about as loud as the cicadas. Trouble is the snakes love reeds. And frogs.

And the snakes you have are not the sort of things one wants as neighbors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am 
Site Admin

WarshipAdmin wrote:

So you'll have an active biota. :-)

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 pm 

We've been adopted by a brown snake. I may accidentally put a spade through it if it frightens us again. Brown snakes are better than tiger snakes because they are not aggressive, but they are worse than tiger snakes because their venom is right up there for toxicity, tigers are slightly less so (still bad). I had been wearing gumboots all summer as an anti snakebite measure, but last year the dogs sniffed out a tiger and I saw it rear up to at least knee height so that was a bit of inadequate protection. While we had a cat we didn't see any snakes, I suspect they competed for the same food.

Here's a fun read

http://www.ozemedicine.com/wiki/doku.ph ... iger_brown