History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More Car Talk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:16 pm 

For Theo and anybody else looking at new cars (if you've got good credit, now's the time to buy. The dealers are desperate to find customers the finance companies will extend credit to.)

I got the following email today.

Today's the day! The 2010 Camaro is now available to order (production starts early 2009). Starting at $22,995,1 the Camaro isn't just a sports car, but a bold emotion sculpted in sheet metal that drops jaws and inspires envy in those not behind the wheel. Simply put, with its creased, taut lines and unexpected array of standard features, this cutting-edge performance machine is passion — perfected.

So what are you waiting for? Be one of the first to take the wheel of this truly modern performance vehicle. Visit chevy.com/camaro for more in-depth information on Camaro. Download a PDF of available Camaro packaging. Then visit your local Chevy dealer to reserve yours today!

See the 2010 Camaro in its prime-time debut. Tune in to "My Own Worst Enemy," a new series about a spy with split personalities who drives a 2010 Camaro Coupe. Premiering Monday, Oct. 13, at 10 p.m./9 p.m. CT on NBC.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: More Car Talk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:05 pm 

I'll take this one, please:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 pm 

A ZR1 is of serious consideration. Best bang for the buck for there is in a sports car. Detroit certainly knows how to build a great V8, and its not as tempermental as most exotics. Hmmm! Which color?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 am 

It looks very good from the side and the front. The droop in the middle of the boot jars a little.

Is the ZR1 the one with the 422 bhp V8? The blurb seems to indicate that that model comes only with the 6-speed manual but I can't imagine GM foregoing sales to auto only buyers. Porsche offers autos...

What I would like to know is what chassis/floorpan it is using as it looks very Commodore/Monaro sized and to be serious would have to be a RWD :D

"Sticker price" in Oz though would be somewhat north of $A50k though.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:44 am 

JBG wrote:
Is the ZR1 the one with the 422 bhp V8? The blurb seems to indicate that that model comes only with the 6-speed manual but I can't imagine GM foregoing sales to auto only buyers. Porsche offers autos...

The ZR1 is the Corvette with a supercharged 6.2 liter V-8 generating 638bhp. A very fine muscle car indeed and fully a match for European equivalents costing twice as much. ZR1s are going for about US$114,000 at the moment but I'd guess there'll be a price premium on them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:52 am 

The new 2009 ZR1 is manual only and its LS9 engine develops 638HP . The "lower" HP engines are the Z06 LS7 engine which develops 505HP and the 'base" LS3 develops 436HP.

Note that a Porsche GT2 cannot be purchased with an automatic transmission. Both base Corvettes and base Porrsches can be purchased with autos, just not the performance versions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:41 am 

I assumed, in the context of the thread, that the reference was to a performance Comaro, notwithstanding that the Chevy site did not seem to mention a ZR1 with respect to the Comaro.

'Vette ZR1s I have heard of. A **** more power in a classic body and with by all accounts a really good chassis.

Jonathan