History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:42 pm 

As it turns out I'm rather likely to be attending a two day exercise next weekend which focuses on squad level combat in an urban environment.
It will take place in a purpose built urban combat "town", which I haven't have the pleasure to visit previously.

Now, those of you who've read earlier posta by me laying out my military experience might foresee a spot of bother or two.
Primarily revolving around the fact that I'm a comms/staff guy and also originally from the artillery which has a general approach to urban combat revolving around the erasure of grid squares and not running around in said environment.

With this I'll be thrust in a situation where I'm supposed to lead my jolly squad of equally inexperienced comms people alongside a bunch of infantry squads who's done this on dozens of times before.
Preferably without making a complete fool of myself.

So, anyone got any smart pointers?
Desperate guy here. ;) :lol:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:19 pm 

I live in Colorado, USA, so I will offer a Colorado centric solution. Get a bunch of pot, distribute it for free to everyone NOT on your team ahead of time. Problem solved. Have extra for your team after the exercise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 pm 

Yep, that's the plan.

I always ask myself "What would NW2 do?" And the answer is inevitably "a great big bowl". 8-)

Failing that, stay under cover. And tape your antennae down...the enemy may be low on ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 pm 

Micael wrote:
As it turns out I'm rather likely to be attending a two day exercise next weekend which focuses on squad level combat in an urban environment.
It will take place in a purpose built urban combat "town", which I haven't have the pleasure to visit previously.

Now, those of you who've read earlier posta by me laying out my military experience might foresee a spot of bother or two.
Primarily revolving around the fact that I'm a comms/staff guy and also originally from the artillery which has a general approach to urban combat revolving around the erasure of grid squares and not running around in said environment.

With this I'll be thrust in a situation where I'm supposed to lead my jolly squad of equally inexperienced comms people alongside a bunch of infantry squads who's done this on dozens of times before.
Preferably without making a complete fool of myself.

So, anyone got any smart pointers?
Desperate guy here. ;) :lol:

Well, I dunno about a commo shop in urban combat, but I did run a commo shop in a simulated earthquake.

Duck a lot. Support your peeps. Keep your comms open. If they're smart, you're going to be evaluated on info flow, not body count. Given your arty experience, you have a good idea of what they need to know.

Project confidence. Lavish praise on your peeps. They're gonna need it. Even if they're absolutely outstanding, they need reassuring. Especially if they're outstanding. The really good peeps often count mistakes, not successes.

You'll be fine. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Plus, it's not like you have to talk to the press :p

Phryne: Fancy that.

Last edited by Johnnie Lyle on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 pm 
Legendary Overlord

drunknsubmrnr wrote:
Yep, that's the plan.

I always ask myself "What would NW2 do?" And the answer is inevitably "a great big bowl". 8-)

Failing that, stay under cover. And tape your antennae down...the enemy may be low on ammo.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 pm 

Nightwatch2 wrote:
drunknsubmrnr wrote:
Yep, that's the plan.

:roll:

None of you are helping.

The poor boy is terrified, like he has to go on air and explain to all Sweden that the Enemy took some Significant Real Estate through a cunning use of mayonaise and government checks to hookers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 am 

From what I remember (having been essentially a mechanic and put through a similar training package at Longmoor, Gibraltar, and a few other places):
  1. Comms are terrible - we had Clansman at the time which is pretty poor, but being in an urban area plays hell with it. Sometimes you can shout further.
  2. This works at a squad/section level as well - you obviously can't see around corners, and in a firefight you can't hear around corners very well either. Don't be afraid of using link-men where necessary.
  3. It's very rough on the hands and knees - you're always crawling through mouseholes or jumping through windows, as fast as you can because both are targets.
  4. They usually added a riot control package in for us. Lots more bruises.
  5. Most of the time you're patrolling around doing not very much, and occasionally they'll throw in an IED or similar. Don't switch off the 5 & 20m checks just because you're in an urban environment

Phil can probably add to this rather more than I can...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 am 

pdf27 wrote:
From what I remember (having been essentially a mechanic and put through a similar training package at Longmoor, Gibraltar, and a few other places):
  1. Comms are terrible - we had Clansman at the time which is pretty poor, but being in an urban area plays hell with it. Sometimes you can shout further.
  2. This works at a squad/section level as well - you obviously can't see around corners, and in a firefight you can't hear around corners very well either. Don't be afraid of using link-men where necessary.
  3. It's very rough on the hands and knees - you're always crawling through mouseholes or jumping through windows, as fast as you can because both are targets.
  4. They usually added a riot control package in for us. Lots more bruises.
  5. Most of the time you're patrolling around doing not very much, and occasionally they'll throw in an IED or similar. Don't switch off the 5 & 20m checks just because you're in an urban environment

Phil can probably add to this rather more than I can...

To add to this:

1. Comms- ensure you have a whistle. NOT an ACME Thunderer, you don't want the pea to get stuck. Orange survival whistle. Paracord it to your right breast pocket. This can be invaluable, whistles can be heard in built up areas over multiple hundred yards even amongst background noise. The shouted orders peter out at 200.
2. If playing OPFOR at any point, ensure that you have an adequate supply of stock death-phrases like "AIEEEEEEEE" and <in your favourite stereotypical enemy accent> "The Swedisher, he fights like ten thousand tigers" etc. Dependent on the nationality your OPFOR is supposed to be of course- scope for some impro here.
3. Bribe/ blackmail your QM and HEAVILY stock up on thuderflashes/ trg grenades. Then heavily use them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 am 

Thanks for the helpful advice guys!
Also thanks for the somewhat less helpful but nonetheless entertaining advice. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Remember that FIBUA is really a three-dimensional environment. That can come at you from left, right, front, behind, above and below. There was an infamous time in Stalingrad when in one particular building the floors were like a layer-cake in terms of control: German, then Russian, then German etc. It's the above and below bit that I understand people have most difficulty adjusting to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 am 

Thinking about it tons of smoke grenades is good to have too - I remember quite a few times when the only option was to cross a street covered by enemy fire, which is where the smoke comes in very handy indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:14 pm 

Gracias, the more ideas the better. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:17 pm 

Keep the prisoners away from the mayonnaise, or anything else greasy. They can slip the cuffs off.

Conversely, if you're captured, ask for extra mayo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 pm 

Micael wrote:

It hasn't been said yet, but communicate /coordinate with the senior NCO of the infantry squads. As long as he knows where you are and where you're moving, he can be of great help in making sure your squad remains covered.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Keep the prisoners away from the mayonnaise, or anything else greasy. They can slip the cuffs off.

Are you kidding me? Some years ago (OK, lots of years ago) our former RSO was with a TA unit who caught a bunch of THEM who were acting as enemy for the exercise. Instead of the expected slapping around, he fed them tea and egg banjos, and in return they gave him chapter and verse on what the enemy were planning. It's only exercise, not war, and egg banjos are a powerful incentive when you're wet and cold eating compo...

KDahm wrote:
It hasn't been said yet, but communicate /coordinate with the senior NCO of the infantry squads. As long as he knows where you are and where you're moving, he can be of great help in making sure your squad remains covered.

And with luck make sure you don't have to do too much of the rough & tumble. 2 days as a watchkeeper is boring as hell but at least it's warm, dry and not getting shot at.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:02 pm 

pdf27 wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Are you kidding me? Some years ago (OK, lots of years ago) our former RSO was with a TA unit who caught a bunch of THEM who were acting as enemy for the exercise. Instead of the expected slapping around, he fed them tea and egg banjos, and in return they gave him chapter and verse on what the enemy were planning. It's only exercise, not war, and egg banjos are a powerful incentive when you're wet and cold eating compo..

Absolutely not kidding at all.

One of my instructors at Basic PIO had to go on TV and explain how a prisoner escaped custody. Turns out he was being moved in cuffs out of the courthouse, and the deputies got him a sandwich. The guy asked for extra mayo packets, used them to grease his wrists, got out of the cuffs, and escaped.

Made for a really funny clip, and a powerful morale booster for us on how to handle having to give embarrassingly bad news.

So yeah, nothing they can use as lubricants. Egg banjos sound good, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm 

Bad idea on exercise though - things can get a trifle rough when people start breaking exercise rules. In reality any PW trying to do that is unlikely to live long enough to escape anyway.

As for Egg Banjos, they're pretty vile normally but after God knows how many hours on exercise/stag they're the food of the gods...
The man who wrote Waltzing Matilda wrote:
"I love my egg filled sandwiches
As I sit here in the sun ,
Sometimes from a loaf or
Even in a bun
I love when the egg runs down my chin
And my mates think its a joke
I look in a nearby mirror
And I'm covered in its yolk
What could I call my sandwich
A word that will be in history
I know what I'll do mate,
I'll name it after me
Mmmmmmm, my egg filled sandwich
See the juices start to flow
I love my egg filled sandwich
My lovely Egg Banjo........."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm 

When my brother was in the RAF (Technical Branch Redacted), he was sent on a fun UXD/IED course. Logic was if you could wire kit unto nasty, you had a much, much better chance of spotting such. And, of course, the chance to 'stick one to your mates' --Or the Civilian Instructors !!-- kept every-one awake...

I will never, ever look at a 'Party Popper' in the same way again...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:12 pm 

Just so you know, party poppers are something totally different over here.

I hope Rob is drinking something when he reads this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:00 pm 

drunknsubmrnr wrote:
Just so you know, party poppers are something totally different over here.

I hope Rob is drinking something when he reads this.

You're not supposed to tell him that until after he's been mocked mercilessly.

Buzzkill.