History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:35 am
Posts: 5887
Location: Sweden
As it turns out I'm rather likely to be attending a two day exercise next weekend which focuses on squad level combat in an urban environment.
It will take place in a purpose built urban combat "town", which I haven't have the pleasure to visit previously.

Now, those of you who've read earlier posta by me laying out my military experience might foresee a spot of bother or two.
Primarily revolving around the fact that I'm a comms/staff guy and also originally from the artillery which has a general approach to urban combat revolving around the erasure of grid squares and not running around in said environment.

With this I'll be thrust in a situation where I'm supposed to lead my jolly squad of equally inexperienced comms people alongside a bunch of infantry squads who's done this on dozens of times before.
Preferably without making a complete fool of myself.

So, anyone got any smart pointers?
Desperate guy here. ;) :lol:

_________________
The Night Watch - A Star Trek Story


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 pm
Posts: 405
I live in Colorado, USA, so I will offer a Colorado centric solution. Get a bunch of pot, distribute it for free to everyone NOT on your team ahead of time. Problem solved. Have extra for your team after the exercise.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 2857
Yep, that's the plan.

I always ask myself "What would NW2 do?" And the answer is inevitably "a great big bowl". 8-)

Failing that, stay under cover. And tape your antennae down...the enemy may be low on ammo.

_________________
Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 14541
Location: PCE(R)-857
Micael wrote:
As it turns out I'm rather likely to be attending a two day exercise next weekend which focuses on squad level combat in an urban environment.
It will take place in a purpose built urban combat "town", which I haven't have the pleasure to visit previously.

Now, those of you who've read earlier posta by me laying out my military experience might foresee a spot of bother or two.
Primarily revolving around the fact that I'm a comms/staff guy and also originally from the artillery which has a general approach to urban combat revolving around the erasure of grid squares and not running around in said environment.

With this I'll be thrust in a situation where I'm supposed to lead my jolly squad of equally inexperienced comms people alongside a bunch of infantry squads who's done this on dozens of times before.
Preferably without making a complete fool of myself.

So, anyone got any smart pointers?
Desperate guy here. ;) :lol:

Well, I dunno about a commo shop in urban combat, but I did run a commo shop in a simulated earthquake.

Duck a lot. Support your peeps. Keep your comms open. If they're smart, you're going to be evaluated on info flow, not body count. Given your arty experience, you have a good idea of what they need to know.

Project confidence. Lavish praise on your peeps. They're gonna need it. Even if they're absolutely outstanding, they need reassuring. Especially if they're outstanding. The really good peeps often count mistakes, not successes.

You'll be fine. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Plus, it's not like you have to talk to the press :p

_________________
Jack: So, if the compartment was locked, how did you get in?
Phryne: I hit the lock with me shoe.
Jack: Your shoe seems to have the ballistic capabilities of a .38 revolver.
Phryne: Fancy that.


Last edited by Johnnie Lyle on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 pm 
Offline
Legendary Overlord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:17 am
Posts: 5092
drunknsubmrnr wrote:
Yep, that's the plan.

I always ask myself "What would NW2 do?" And the answer is inevitably "a great big bowl". 8-)

Failing that, stay under cover. And tape your antennae down...the enemy may be low on ammo.


:roll:

_________________
Maybe the problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 14541
Location: PCE(R)-857
Nightwatch2 wrote:
drunknsubmrnr wrote:
Yep, that's the plan.

I always ask myself "What would NW2 do?" And the answer is inevitably "a great big bowl". 8-)

Failing that, stay under cover. And tape your antennae down...the enemy may be low on ammo.


:roll:

None of you are helping.

The poor boy is terrified, like he has to go on air and explain to all Sweden that the Enemy took some Significant Real Estate through a cunning use of mayonaise and government checks to hookers.

_________________
Jack: So, if the compartment was locked, how did you get in?
Phryne: I hit the lock with me shoe.
Jack: Your shoe seems to have the ballistic capabilities of a .38 revolver.
Phryne: Fancy that.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:45 am
Posts: 5201
Location: EGUD
From what I remember (having been essentially a mechanic and put through a similar training package at Longmoor, Gibraltar, and a few other places):
  1. Comms are terrible - we had Clansman at the time which is pretty poor, but being in an urban area plays hell with it. Sometimes you can shout further.
  2. This works at a squad/section level as well - you obviously can't see around corners, and in a firefight you can't hear around corners very well either. Don't be afraid of using link-men where necessary.
  3. It's very rough on the hands and knees - you're always crawling through mouseholes or jumping through windows, as fast as you can because both are targets.
  4. They usually added a riot control package in for us. Lots more bruises.
  5. Most of the time you're patrolling around doing not very much, and occasionally they'll throw in an IED or similar. Don't switch off the 5 & 20m checks just because you're in an urban environment

Phil can probably add to this rather more than I can...

_________________
War is less costly than servitude. In the end, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am
Posts: 6473
Location: Cambs, UK
pdf27 wrote:
From what I remember (having been essentially a mechanic and put through a similar training package at Longmoor, Gibraltar, and a few other places):
  1. Comms are terrible - we had Clansman at the time which is pretty poor, but being in an urban area plays hell with it. Sometimes you can shout further.
  2. This works at a squad/section level as well - you obviously can't see around corners, and in a firefight you can't hear around corners very well either. Don't be afraid of using link-men where necessary.
  3. It's very rough on the hands and knees - you're always crawling through mouseholes or jumping through windows, as fast as you can because both are targets.
  4. They usually added a riot control package in for us. Lots more bruises.
  5. Most of the time you're patrolling around doing not very much, and occasionally they'll throw in an IED or similar. Don't switch off the 5 & 20m checks just because you're in an urban environment

Phil can probably add to this rather more than I can...


To add to this:

1. Comms- ensure you have a whistle. NOT an ACME Thunderer, you don't want the pea to get stuck. Orange survival whistle. Paracord it to your right breast pocket. This can be invaluable, whistles can be heard in built up areas over multiple hundred yards even amongst background noise. The shouted orders peter out at 200.
2. If playing OPFOR at any point, ensure that you have an adequate supply of stock death-phrases like "AIEEEEEEEE" and <in your favourite stereotypical enemy accent> "The Swedisher, he fights like ten thousand tigers" etc. Dependent on the nationality your OPFOR is supposed to be of course- scope for some impro here.
3. Bribe/ blackmail your QM and HEAVILY stock up on thuderflashes/ trg grenades. Then heavily use them.

_________________
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured, tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:35 am
Posts: 5887
Location: Sweden
Thanks for the helpful advice guys!
Also thanks for the somewhat less helpful but nonetheless entertaining advice. ;)

_________________
The Night Watch - A Star Trek Story


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm
Posts: 2687
Remember that FIBUA is really a three-dimensional environment. That can come at you from left, right, front, behind, above and below. There was an infamous time in Stalingrad when in one particular building the floors were like a layer-cake in terms of control: German, then Russian, then German etc. It's the above and below bit that I understand people have most difficulty adjusting to.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:45 am
Posts: 5201
Location: EGUD
Thinking about it tons of smoke grenades is good to have too - I remember quite a few times when the only option was to cross a street covered by enemy fire, which is where the smoke comes in very handy indeed.

_________________
War is less costly than servitude. In the end, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:35 am
Posts: 5887
Location: Sweden
Gracias, the more ideas the better. :)

_________________
The Night Watch - A Star Trek Story


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 14541
Location: PCE(R)-857
Keep the prisoners away from the mayonnaise, or anything else greasy. They can slip the cuffs off.

Conversely, if you're captured, ask for extra mayo.

_________________
Jack: So, if the compartment was locked, how did you get in?
Phryne: I hit the lock with me shoe.
Jack: Your shoe seems to have the ballistic capabilities of a .38 revolver.
Phryne: Fancy that.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 5813
Micael wrote:
With this I'll be thrust in a situation where I'm supposed to lead my jolly squad of equally inexperienced comms people alongside a bunch of infantry squads who's done this on dozens of times before.

It hasn't been said yet, but communicate /coordinate with the senior NCO of the infantry squads. As long as he knows where you are and where you're moving, he can be of great help in making sure your squad remains covered.

_________________
(English doesn't) just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.--James D. Nicoll


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:45 am
Posts: 5201
Location: EGUD
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Keep the prisoners away from the mayonnaise, or anything else greasy. They can slip the cuffs off.

Conversely, if you're captured, ask for extra mayo.

Are you kidding me? Some years ago (OK, lots of years ago) our former RSO was with a TA unit who caught a bunch of THEM who were acting as enemy for the exercise. Instead of the expected slapping around, he fed them tea and egg banjos, and in return they gave him chapter and verse on what the enemy were planning. It's only exercise, not war, and egg banjos are a powerful incentive when you're wet and cold eating compo...

KDahm wrote:
It hasn't been said yet, but communicate /coordinate with the senior NCO of the infantry squads. As long as he knows where you are and where you're moving, he can be of great help in making sure your squad remains covered.

And with luck make sure you don't have to do too much of the rough & tumble. 2 days as a watchkeeper is boring as hell but at least it's warm, dry and not getting shot at.

_________________
War is less costly than servitude. In the end, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 14541
Location: PCE(R)-857
pdf27 wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Keep the prisoners away from the mayonnaise, or anything else greasy. They can slip the cuffs off.

Conversely, if you're captured, ask for extra mayo.

Are you kidding me? Some years ago (OK, lots of years ago) our former RSO was with a TA unit who caught a bunch of THEM who were acting as enemy for the exercise. Instead of the expected slapping around, he fed them tea and egg banjos, and in return they gave him chapter and verse on what the enemy were planning. It's only exercise, not war, and egg banjos are a powerful incentive when you're wet and cold eating compo..

Absolutely not kidding at all.

One of my instructors at Basic PIO had to go on TV and explain how a prisoner escaped custody. Turns out he was being moved in cuffs out of the courthouse, and the deputies got him a sandwich. The guy asked for extra mayo packets, used them to grease his wrists, got out of the cuffs, and escaped.

Made for a really funny clip, and a powerful morale booster for us on how to handle having to give embarrassingly bad news.

So yeah, nothing they can use as lubricants. Egg banjos sound good, though.

_________________
Jack: So, if the compartment was locked, how did you get in?
Phryne: I hit the lock with me shoe.
Jack: Your shoe seems to have the ballistic capabilities of a .38 revolver.
Phryne: Fancy that.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:45 am
Posts: 5201
Location: EGUD
Bad idea on exercise though - things can get a trifle rough when people start breaking exercise rules. In reality any PW trying to do that is unlikely to live long enough to escape anyway.

As for Egg Banjos, they're pretty vile normally but after God knows how many hours on exercise/stag they're the food of the gods...
The man who wrote Waltzing Matilda wrote:
"I love my egg filled sandwiches
As I sit here in the sun ,
Sometimes from a loaf or
Even in a bun
I love when the egg runs down my chin
And my mates think its a joke
I look in a nearby mirror
And I'm covered in its yolk
What could I call my sandwich
A word that will be in history
I know what I'll do mate,
I'll name it after me
Mmmmmmm, my egg filled sandwich
See the juices start to flow
I love my egg filled sandwich
My lovely Egg Banjo........."

_________________
War is less costly than servitude. In the end, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:48 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: UK
When my brother was in the RAF (Technical Branch Redacted), he was sent on a fun UXD/IED course. Logic was if you could wire kit unto nasty, you had a much, much better chance of spotting such. And, of course, the chance to 'stick one to your mates' --Or the Civilian Instructors !!-- kept every-one awake...

I will never, ever look at a 'Party Popper' in the same way again...

_________________
'P for Pleistocene' A camp-out goes impossibly wrong...


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 2857
Just so you know, party poppers are something totally different over here.

I hope Rob is drinking something when he reads this.

_________________
Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 14541
Location: PCE(R)-857
drunknsubmrnr wrote:
Just so you know, party poppers are something totally different over here.

I hope Rob is drinking something when he reads this.

You're not supposed to tell him that until after he's been mocked mercilessly.

Buzzkill.

_________________
Jack: So, if the compartment was locked, how did you get in?
Phryne: I hit the lock with me shoe.
Jack: Your shoe seems to have the ballistic capabilities of a .38 revolver.
Phryne: Fancy that.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group