History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 am 

Or possibly the Senior Chief's... :lol:

Attachments:
pinochet.jpg
pinochet.jpg [ 63.63 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
 Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 am 

S. Murray wrote:
Or possibly the Senior Chief's... :lol:

Nah, that's Poobah's niece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 pm 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 pm 

What worries me is that the poor kid got an F and a "See me after class".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Stuff like this has been going on for a long time. I'm particularly upset about teachers sanctioning kids for being too advanced. Stuff like this:

I remember my daughter had a math homework assignment involving equations with two unknowns. The taught method was some goofy thing that involved guessing one of the unknowns. I taught her to solve the problem directly using simultaneous equations. She wasn't allowed to used that method because "we didn't teach it to you." She was quite upset, because simultaneous equations was an easier method. :(

Attachments:
Cursive.jpg
Cursive.jpg [ 28.44 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

edgeplay_cgo wrote:
Stuff like this has been going on for a long time. I'm particularly upset about teachers sanctioning kids for being too advanced. Stuff like this:

I remember my daughter had a math homework assignment involving equations with two unknowns. The taught method was some goofy thing that involved guessing one of the unknowns. I taught her to solve the problem directly using simultaneous equations. She wasn't allowed to used that method because "we didn't teach it to you." She was quite upset, because simultaneous equations was an easier method. :(

That is definitely visit the school time for the parent. If the school senior staff won't cooperate then go to the school board. If they won't cooperate go to the local newspaper and if ultimately necessary find some point where the teacher is with the class and you can be there legally as well and embarass them in front of the class by pointing out what an ass they are. Oh and re-mark the homework to correct for the teacher's stupidity and have the child take it into class, with a letter pointing out that any negative consequences accruing to the child because of the incident will be dealt with through maximum application of ridicule, disciplinary procedures and if ultimately necessary withdrawing the child from the school.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm 

Eh, I'm not too upset by whacking people for using cursive on forms, especially if the handwriting is bad and/or the form says 'print.'

Illegible handwriting is a major problem on official documents. If you can't read it, it's useless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

All of the above, plus lawsuit, both against the school, and individually against the teacher.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Eh, I'm not too upset by whacking people for using cursive on forms, especially if the handwriting is bad and/or the form says 'print.'

Illegible handwriting is a major problem on official documents. If you can't read it, it's useless.

Putting on my teacher's hat, my position would be, "If I can't read it, it is wrong, so write or print legibly."

-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:41 pm 

edgeplay_cgo wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Putting on my teacher's hat, my position would be, "If I can't read it, it is wrong, so write or print legibly."

It's got to be legible to anybody and everybody. That's why we print on plans and drawings, after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
edgeplay_cgo wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

It's got to be legible to anybody and everybody. That's why we print on plans and drawings, after all.

The kid isn't lettering notes on plans, he is submitting an assignment. I need to be able to read it. This applies mostly to essay type answers.

-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

Francis Urquhart wrote:

It's a situation I'll admit I know very little of and have always been wary of looking into given the bias' surrounding him and Chile at the time.

What I know of was the country was going to go Communist through elections until the coup happened, then some nasty purging happened that is in the air if it was helpful or not or cruel necessity to purge Communism from the country to keep it from falling back to it once Pinochet stepped down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 am 

edgeplay_cgo wrote:
The kid isn't lettering notes on plans, he is submitting an assignment. I need to be able to read it. This applies mostly to essay type answers.

Yeah, but you're double-hatted. You're not just teaching the to ace the test; you're teaching life skills, and one of the most important is always be clear.

Illegible handwriting gets people killed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
edgeplay_cgo wrote:

Yeah, but you're double-hatted. You're not just teaching the to ace the test; you're teaching life skills, and one of the most important is always be clear.

Illegible handwriting gets people killed.

I think most people have about the same ability to decipher sloppy penmanship, so I think my standard of "If I can't read it, it's wrong," is probably reasonable. We're not training calligraphers or draftsmen, here. I'm trying to remember, is penmanship subject to a grade? It was when I was in elementary school. A f(r)iend of mine repeated the fifth grade because of sloppy penmanship. He flunked in the last year of steel pens and inkwells. He once said, "If they hadn't gone to ball point pens the next year, I'd still be in the fifth grade."

-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 pm 

The widespread adoption of the personal computer saved me. I was the kid told to type all of the handwritten assignments.

My handwriting is little better than doctors writing prescriptions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:16 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

gtg947h wrote:
The widespread adoption of the personal computer saved me. I was the kid told to type all of the handwritten assignments.

My handwriting is little better than doctors writing prescriptions.

I'm in a similar situation but still don't like the way things have gone.

My handwriting is terrible and has never changed, but I appreciate the things I learned to make it less terrible.

I did get a good chuckle a month ago cleaning the house and coming across from old homework from around 6th Grade of my half-brother's my mom saved, it was exactly the same as mine was and largely still is. There must be something genetic to it since we didn't grow up together given his troubled childhood moving out and lack of our father being the one to help either of us do our school work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 pm 

edgeplay_cgo wrote:

It's clearly not a legibility issue, but a control issue. She's been told to print for some arbitrary reason and is challenging the teacher's Authoritay. And people say the fifties were conformist.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:

I can see the 'see me after class', as we really ought to be encouraging fair trials and lawful execution for Communists rather than just throwing them out of helicopters. But the 'F' is definitely unfair, as the assignment was successfully completed.

As far as handwriting is concerned, Dennis's standard was more or less the one applied when I was in school. If it was illegible, it didn't get marked. The issue I had in primary school was that I showed up aged five and able to read - my parents were criticised for having already taught me, so they didn't bother with my younger brother. I did it for them. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 am 

RLBH wrote:
The issue I had in primary school was that I showed up aged five and able to read - my parents were criticised for having already taught me, so they didn't bother with my younger brother. I did it for them. :twisted:

They'd have had a conniption if I had shown up, since I was reading at age two...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 am 

RLBH wrote:
I can see the 'see me after class', as we really ought to be encouraging fair trials and lawful execution for Communists rather than just throwing them out of helicopters.

That's really a damning condemnation of the teacher. This would have been a perfect teachable moment to discuss the importance of fair trials and lawfully execution.[/quote]

Quote:
But the 'F' is definitely unfair, as the assignment was successfully completed.

I would have said a D or an E would have been in order since its a terrible drawing of a helicopter.

Quote:
The issue I had in primary school was that I showed up aged five and able to read - my parents were criticised for having already taught me, so they didn't bother with my younger brother. I did it for them. :twisted:

That, again, is an appalling damnation of the educational system in place then. It seems to me that the only mature and responsible person involved was you.