History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Battle bus part two...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:54 pm 

Spent a few hours this weekend remembering I know how to use Sketchup, and it works pretty well to hack together messes like this, which at least let me look at proportions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qP-LPM ... sp=sharing
Unfortunately screenshots are troublesome, all I could get was a PDF.

I found out part way through the bus I hacked apart to get the base was only 35 feet long, I'd be using a 45 foot bus for this really, which would help the proportions a bit I think. The main guns would be six inch air cannon, with 3 inchers for the secondaries. Conclusion is that a 45 foot bus should work well, looking a bit sleeker since the length to width ratio is better. The bridge by the way, would drop down for transport, beating 13 foot clearances. The goal would be to get a design that requires no oversize loads to transport, for now. Bigger landships would need permits.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:36 am 
SAC-trained killer

...Keep in mind The Hamster tried to build an indestructible land warfare vehicle. Didn't quite work out the way he had planned:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/tv/jerem ... rand-tour/

Or the second time, for that matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trdXpQ0HUE

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 am 

Perhaps a double decker would allow for sponsons. Maybe we could go down the broadside vs end on fire debate for “street battleships”?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 am 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
...Keep in mind The Hamster tried to build an indestructible land warfare vehicle. Didn't quite work out the way he had planned:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/tv/jerem ... rand-tour/

Or the second time, for that matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trdXpQ0HUE

Mike

Good to know the UK can still afford Unkabloomium shells, even if we can't pay for the troops to use them...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:06 am 
SAC-trained killer

pdf27 wrote:
Good to know the UK can still afford Unkabloomium shells, even if we can't pay for the troops to use them...

I almost wonder if Amazon and the good people at W. Chump & Sons, Ltd. didn't get billed for them.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 am 

Hey, neat doodlin' !!

IIRC, armoured train crews learned not to fire synchronised broadsides, but 'ripple' instead...

Um, those little 'side' turrets are neat, but replacing the top, big-gun turret with a pair of twin back-to back auto-cannon, circa 30~40 mm, would allow flank cover without 180' slewing, lower the C/G significantly and generally ease design.

Don't forget the 'combat engineering' prow, and doubled wheels to reduce loading. If necessary, fit solid metal wheels outside larger 'flexibles'. Better handling on firm surfaces, less likely to 'bog' in softer ground...

In fact, you're not looking for an A-Team styled bus, with its 'civilian' lane-width, but a really big, off-road dump-truck, the sort delivered on a 'low boy' trailer with 'WIDE LOAD' flags...

FWIW, given the size of big tractor tyres, you need a hoist...
--

My FIL briefly commanded a troop of 'Scarlet Lancer' Lanchester armoured cars patrolling West of Nile against the chance of Rommel blitzing through. As he said, it would be a short, sharp fight flanking the Panzers' support, but a merry one. Then some-one noticed his docket's comment that he'd been trained as a butcher. He was promptly moved to 'catering' and set to work organising the chaotic kitchens...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 pm 

"briefly commanded"

I've just dug out the family's prized copy of the Lancers' history, found no mention of such vehicles. Nor any on-line reference.
Elderly relative once recalled having sight of that service in his pay-book, so not invented...

Not a clincher but, ten years ago, when I showed FIL a picture of a Lanchester I'd found on wwweb, he identified it at once, describing its baulky handling characteristics with any tanker's mix of love and hate...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:08 pm 

This isn't intended to be a practical (runs screaming) combat vehicle, but a lark intended to simulate naval gun combat. It will have some thick fiberglass on it, but to a great extent the aesthetics are more important than function, because you have to look good when you're having expensive fun.

Turret shapes are not locked in, but there is plan to make one from a much larger chassis, such as from a crane. There will be three or four rates, with battleships at the top and gunboats/frigates at the bottom, and transportability and gvwr will determine your rate. This lets you play with cruisers, since guns will be rated separate from armor. This would be a destroyer or light cruiser, depending on weight, and I don't expect a prototype would have lots of off road capability.

I do have some rules drafted up I anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:51 pm 

Hi !

Which version of Sketchup do you have ? The 'Basic / Free' type has very limited options for import / export. And, .SKP is a proprietary format, so even my registered 3D Object Converter won't touch it...

Import / Export options:
https://help.sketchup.com/sv/article/3000153

That aside, there are some excellent 'free-positories' of SKP model files, no conversions required...
--
For a huge collection of actual off-road vehicles, rather than meshes, see... http://www.unusuallocomotion.com/
Here's a bunch of possibly relevant 'big boys'...
http://www.unusuallocomotion.com/pages/ ... html#page2
http://www.unusuallocomotion.com/pages/ ... html#page2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:47 pm 

I'm using the Web app right now. This isn't serious enough to pull out Alibre, and I don't have remote desktop set up anyway, so I'm not doing much cad during the week.

Current challenge would be funding. I suppose I could challenge the top gear people, but I still don't know where I would get my funding. And if I'm sharing this with a crowd funding community to get it started, how would I share a single big project like this with people scattered across the country and/or world?

Post subject: 'World of Technicals' ??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 am 

Does 'World of Tanks' provide private play-space ? If so, you've 'World of Technicals'...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:20 am 

Here's the mark two, I haven't touched the interior, but this looks decent. I have a 320 ton crane I downloaded, I'm still toying with whether to try a true "battleship."

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... Battle-Bus
Link has a model viewer, so much better than a pdf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm 

Ooh !
Pyro-enhanced paint-ball ! Like the famous warship battles annually re-enacted on that (*) lake, each warship with one recumbent crew member...

*) No, i don't know where, but it always, always makes TV news as a giggle-snippet...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:21 pm 

Not pyro enhanced unfortunately, ATF will probably be enough bother with compressed air. Should be much fun though. If I'd stayed in Seattle, setting this up with 100- 150 foot boats would have been fun.

This is a bit more accessible though, since landlocked schools and teams can participate, assuming we cam find a big enough battlefield.

Here's some brainstorming, if you're interested:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eX6 ... p=drivesdk