History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:17 am 

FWIW, I like math, always have. Why?

1. Because of my excellent foundation, and genetics (My dad solved math problems in his head most people today could not handle with a calculator) I've always been very good at it.
2. It's pure, at least until you get to your second semester of Calculus :lol: :lol: :lol:
3. It's logical and I'm a logical person.
Logic is the foundation of mathematics. Without logic there would be no mathematics.
4. Math enables you to become a problem solver
and capitalism pays well for that.
5. Math, to me is really fun.
I'm good at it. and it exercises my single malt, marinated mind which gives me pleasure .
6. Mathematics is life.
Try to think of the things you do everyday. Though you don't think you are using "formulas" with variables like x and y,
you really are. You face situations and need to make decisions, analyze and weigh things regarding its relevance.
All of these things are related to Mathematics.

I thank God I had the great good fortune of being taught math by the Sisters of St. Joseph in a Private school system that did not have to prostitute it's core function of teaching by social Engineering, feel good, vote buying government BS policies. We kids were pushed very hard. The standards were very high. Minor discipline problems were handled by corporal punishment. Major discipline problems that interfered, in any way, with efficient education were handled by immediate dismissal. Our parents thought so much of the education they were willing to pay out of their own pockets even though the public schools were funded by their Tax dollars. They backed the Nuns to the hilt and made sure we did our homework.

We were a very self disciplined bunch who knew:
1. How to study efficientlyeffeciant
2. How to take and and pass an exam
3. The key to success was within our control and that meant hard work
4. The world was hard but smart, disciplined people would succeed
5. Loyalty to your God, Your Country, Your family and friends was a key virtute that paid great dividends
6. There really is EVIL in the world and it is up to each of us to recognize and reject it.
7. The greatest evils cloak themselves in Humanist BS that sounds really fun but in fact is just a way for evil men to control you for their profit.

The result was an excellent education in Math, English, Science, languages, Geography, US and Western World History.
Love of God and our country, in that order, was inculcated into us every day.

That is why I get so POed when i read PC BS like the following.

Professor claims 'meritocracy' in math class is a 'tool of whiteness': report

A math professor at Brooklyn College wrote an academic paper contending that meritocracy in math class holds back racial minorities and is a tool of “whiteness,” Campus Reform reported on Monday.

Professor Laurie Rubel, a former high school teacher, wrote the article in the Journal of Urban Mathematics Education. She reportedly contends that meritocracy is oftentimes associated with hard work, but it ignores “systematic barriers” that prevent the opportunity of success.

Rubel reportedly recommended that math teachers use more social justice issues during lessons. Rubel, however, warned that teaching “social justice” can also be a tool of whiteness if teachers are ignorant to the experiences of their minority students.

Campus Reform linked out to a PDF file of the article where Rubel cites another scholarly article to make the case that, “Teachers often view participation of marginalized students as off-task, unproductive, or distracting, even when it reflects students’ membership of and competence in another social context, unbeknownst to the teacher.”

Rubel wrote that math teachers who claim to be color-blind are not doing the minority students any favors.

“By claiming not to notice, the teacher is saying that she is dismissing one of the most salient features of the child’s identity and that she does not account for it in her curricular planning and instruction,” she wrote, citing another education theorist.

Campus Reform reported that it reached out to Rubel but did not immediately receive comment.
IMO Typical Progressive coward

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 pm 

Senior Chief, I totally agree with you.
Such PC-ish notions are akin to the benighted state legislature who infamously voted through re-definition of Pi = 3.00000000, 'for the convenience of artisans'...

Math is Math is Math. True, different students need different approaches, there's no 'One Size Fits All'. It falls to the teacher to find the key to each student's thinking.

Thanks to maternal grandfather who was an artisanal cabinet maker, and both my parents loving arithmetic, I tackled stuff from both the 'geometric' and/or 'arithmetic' vectors. Other students were more 'analytical'. Some were brilliant. A quorum were utterly, totally hapless beyond basic 'Sums'...

I *loved* Math, could literally taste its power and beauty. I loved the classic 'Scientific American' 'Puzzles & Diversions' column, even if stumped. Remember the wondrous article on Piet Hein's 'Super Eggs' ?? Half a century on from that 'City' special edition, it's 'Squared the Circle' and solved my 'intractable' CAD problem...

Sadly, I never could work Calculus beyond the basics, which killed my hopes to do Electronic Engineering, ChemEng and/or Oceanography. I did 'Organic', but barely used my 'official' skills beyond 'High School' level, specifically 'How Soap Works'. My Uni first-year's mini-course on 'Nuclear & Radio-Chemistry' with 'seeded precipitations' etc was real-handy for bench testing stuff. My hobby of Electronics & Robotics, which segued into Astronomy & Programming served me very well...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

The dystopian social engineers are desperately trying to make the characteristics of success; education, diligence, perseverance, hard work, integrity ... into disreputable "whitey" characteristics. They are desperately trying to widen the divides between the racial and ethnic groups to Balkanize the country.

We really should have had mass executions in the 50s. We will need to liquidate so many more, now. But not as many as they would liquidate of us.

Democrati delenda sunt. No price is too steep to pay.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 pm 

edgeplay_cgo wrote:
The dystopian social engineers are desperately trying to make the characteristics of success; education, diligence, perseverance, hard work, integrity ... into disreputable "whitey" characteristics. They are desperately trying to widen the divides between the racial and ethnic groups to Balkanize the country.

We really should have had mass executions in the 50s. We will need to liquidate so many more, now. But not as many as they would liquidate of us.

Democrati delenda sunt. No price is too steep to pay.[/i]

Yup Edge, I think you have a point about the "dystopian social engineers". When will the morons realize the "A" Hole social elites and especially the real powers behind the Deep State and Globalization have use the "Race card" to keep them poor, ignoarnt and powerless.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

OSCSSW wrote:
edgeplay_cgo wrote:

Yup Edge, I think you have a point about the "dystopian social engineers". When will the morons realize the "A" Hole social elites and especially the real powers behind the Deep State and Globalization have use the "Race card" to keep them poor, ignoarnt and powerless.

Sadly, most never will. But the percentage of minorities voting Republican was apparently up during the 2016 election.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm 

That article is so badly garbled from the original as to be nonsensical (although to be fair the original here isn't exactly easy reading).
If I've understood it correctly, however, what it's saying is that teachers who put what they're teaching into the context of the lives of their students will help them understand what is being taught better than those who do not (a statement of the blindingly obvious), and goes on to note that many of the teachers in the study don't live anywhere near or spend time in the neighbourhood that the school is in so don't know very much about their students. I suspect that the nuns who taught the Senior Chief probably had a lot more in common with his background and lived closer to his school than the teachers in the study, several of whom commuted long distances to teach in the school and had never lived in an inner-city environment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:48 pm 
Mockingbird

I think the journals have gotten too specific.

"Journal of Urban Mathematics Education"

What?????

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

"Whiteness" is code for power.

Postmodernism is consumed with the obsession with power and assumes all are like postmodernists, that no one believes in truth and objectivity, those are just tools to get power over everyone else like they do.

Your eye rolling and sighing over this is just a sign that you're upset that they aren't buying into your power grabbing tricks.

When you realize that they believe what they say in this framework it all makes sense when they accuse people of the very things they themselves are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 pm 

Math like engineering is the ultimate in truth and objectivity. Get it wrong, people can die.

Do the PC crowd realize that or don't they care?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm 

jemhouston wrote:
Math like engineering is the ultimate in truth and objectivity.

And that's where the train skips the tracks, because to them there is no such thing as objectivity; truth is whatever you believe it to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm 

"...truth is whatever you believe it to be."

Or convince a befuddled jury....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:05 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

jemhouston wrote:
Math like engineering is the ultimate in truth and objectivity. Get it wrong, people can die.

Do the PC crowd realize that or don't they care?

To them you're just pushing your tactic to get power over them, they ignore it to not fall for it. It's also why they focus on attacking and accusing, never defending themselves because that's simply going on the defensive when they want to maintain the initiative and keep their foes reacting to them, not acting against them.

The nearest thing I can think to that mentality is Mirror Universe Star Trek.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 am 

Beastro wrote:
Postmodernism is consumed with the obsession with power and assumes all are like postmodernists, that no one believes in truth and objectivity, those are just tools to get power over everyone else like they do.

They very much do believe in truth, but that 'truth' is subjective and experiential. To them, a poor black inner city youth's 'truth' about their experiences of education is very different from the 'truth' of the educators, and both are equally valid.