History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Orville Episode 7
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

Dahhhh... SPOILER WARNINGS PLEASE! :’(

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:40 pm 

OUCH. Sorry about that. Put it on the list of beers I owe you . . ..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
OUCH. Sorry about that. Put it on the list of beers I owe you . . ..

I thought we were doing range time..? ;)

Nah no worries. I’m lucky to have found a website I can get this show on the day after it premieres on Americaland TV.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:32 pm 

Who would have thought that of all people Seth McFarlane would produce quality, thought-provoking space opera?

The world turned upside down, indeed...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:57 pm 
Mockingbird

The Bushranger wrote:
Who would have thought that of all people Seth McFarlane would produce quality, thought-provoking space opera?

The world turned upside down, indeed...

Well, he did spend so much time producing crap, he had to get lucky with one of them.

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm 

Episode 9 was a bit so and so but I'm more in line with Stuart's opinions here than what seems to be the prevailing ones.

I think one thing is being missed with the sex-craze inducing alien. I think MacFarlane is actually pointing the finger at and making fun of the actor playing said alien, likely without the not-too-bright actor realizing what's going on.
Because it is Rob Lowe, and well, remember this part of his resumé?
Quote:
Sex tape[edit]
In 1988, Lowe was involved in a sex scandal over a videotape of him having sex with a 16-year-old girl he met in a nightclub. They were videotaped the night before the Democratic National Convention in Atlanta, Georgia. As the age of consent in Georgia was 14 at the time (until 1995 when it was raised to 16), both were of legal age to engage in sexual activity, although 18 was the legal age to be involved in such a recording.[39] At the time, Lowe was campaigning for Michael Dukakis.[40]
Another part of the same tape was leaked at the time, showing Lowe and his friend Justin Moritt both having vaginal and oral sex with a young American model named Jennifer, who was never identified, in a hotel room in Paris. This part of the original tape was sold as one of the first commercially available celebrity sex tapes, damaging Lowe's public image.[41] Eventually, his career rebounded, and Lowe mocked his own behavior during two post-scandal appearances as host of Saturday Night Live.[42]
Nanny lawsuit cases[edit]

Lowe in 2008
In April 2008, Lowe filed separate lawsuits against three former employees accusing them of breach of contract, defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Lowe accused an ex‑nanny of engaging in a scheme to hurt the couple by spreading "malicious lies". Another former nanny was accused of falsely claiming to have had a personal and intimate relationship with Lowe, and also repeatedly expressing romantic interest in Lowe, claiming Lowe sexually harassed her and that Sheryl Lowe was an abusive employer. Rob Lowe claimed a former chef engaged in sex on their bed when the family was out of town, stole prescription drugs from the Lowes, broke several security cameras, overcharged them for food, and allegedly made statements to various people that Sheryl was heartless, cold and unclean.[43]
Jessica Gibson, Lowe's 24-year-old former nanny, made 12 allegations against Lowe involving sexual harassment claims and labor-code violations. On June 19, 2008, Santa Barbara, California, Superior Court Judge Denise de Bellefeuille dismissed two allegations regarding labor-code violations due to lack of legal basis.[44] The legal battle ended in May 2009, the press reported that court records showed that lawsuits filed by both nannies and Lowe were dismissed in Santa Barbara. Attorneys for both women and Lowe sought the dismissals.[45]

Episode 10 I liked a lot, can't remember last time a "Star Trek" episode caught me like this.
More please.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 pm 

I had an idea of the general direction this was going when Gordon was eaten. You don't usually do that to a regular character. I was rather relived as it meant that Lt. Park, who seems to be an interesting character probably wasn't dead.

When they revealed it was a holodeck episode, I admit I mentally groaned a bit. At least Orville's holodeck wasn't malfunctioning. Mind you,the guys coming in for their turn dressed in costume was a hoot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 pm 

Yeah, I wonder what the Duel was going to be about. Futzing with Bortas might not be the greatest idea :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 pm 

Enjoyed the episode. Best line of the show.

"I spent a hour in Bortis's Colon, do you think that's funny?"

Yes. Yes it is.

They missed a obvious joke that cats really don't offer unconditional love compared to a dog...

Having said that, I didn't like the captain second guessing himself so much, I can understand him being upset with the situation, but I don't think he would be so damn insecure about himself. IMHO. And I don't like how they have basically forgiven his ex-wife infidelity...

The music in 2D sounded like a tribute to the Simpsons 3D Halloween episode from decades back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:54 pm 

I was convinced that Isaac knew way more than he was letting on , and giving Gordo a little of the business.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:55 am 

I enjoyed this one; ranks with one of their better efforts. I began to see why they had been downplaying the John Lamarr - it reflected the character who was basically coasting through life taking the path of minimum resistance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 am 

This was an okay one for me, above average but not quite the best.

Overall it’s looking promising for the next season when they’re able to tweak it a bit with season one in hindsight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 am 
Site Admin

I'm now almost completely caught up. I love this show. At the moment, its the only regular TV I'm watching. I work a 3PM to 11:30 PM shift (11:30 that is if I manage to get the paperwork done on time), so I don't have much time for TV. This week I've been home fighting a major cold, and conjunctivitis. I've concluded I'm not missing anything worth watching. I'm watching Orville on On Demand after reading the positive comments on this thread. You guys have any other recommendations?

I really, really want to see Commander Bortus sing "My Heart Will Go On."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 am 

I suspect Bortus's non-singing will be a running joke for a couple of episodes, I'm undecided if I want the payoff to be a spectacular failure or success.

Any thoughts on what you would like to see for season 2? Since we only got 12 episodes this season, and I suspect next season will be 12-14 episodes, I'd like a bit more information on the Krill conflict, right now Krill seem to be randomly attacking everything not Krill, I'd like to see at least 3-4 episodes showing a progression to war, detailing the strategic situation etc. I don't want the entire season to be like this, but I do think this needs to be addressed.

I'd also like a little more attention on Gordon, he needs a bit more fleshing out. (I'll be honest, I hope for a episode that implies he is a much deeper character, only to find out that he really is the shallow, likable goofball that he appears to be.)

And a episode on some of the implications of the technology, (Body replacement, no money etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm 

Gee

Remember when this show was just supposed to be a laugher?
Bravo Zulu
That was a damn good ending to S1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 am 

I thought it was a subject area that could easily have gone badly wrong but the execution of the idea was brilliant. The ending was superb; for those who haven't seen it yet, please make a point of doing so. It shows how this kind of issue should be handled. It was a balanced, non-preaching episode that told a good story well. Definitely a Bravo-Zulu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:08 am 

DaveAAA wrote:
I had an idea of the general direction this was going when Gordon was eaten. You don't usually do that to a regular character. I was rather relived as it meant that Lt. Park, who seems to be an interesting character probably wasn't dead.

When they revealed it was a holodeck episode, I admit I mentally groaned a bit. At least Orville's holodeck wasn't malfunctioning. Mind you,the guys coming in for their turn dressed in costume was a hoot.

“Am I early?”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 am 

The season finale was excellent, particularly the ending.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I was worried that the show would repeat the more annoying viewpoints of TNG in regards to primitive culture, it was very refreshing for the show to recognize that cultures change and evolve, and that is natural. (I cheered inside when Isaac said he actually didn't have to do anything, and when they pointed out that if Kelly hadn't interfered it would just change the cosmetics of how they evolved, not the nature of it.) Oh, I hope Ed stops being such a putz. Be more like Kirk. That is actually a good motto

Genuine, thoughtful Sci-fi. I suspect it will only get 2 seasons, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.