History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:36 pm 
Offline
Mockingbird

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 am
Posts: 3960
Location: BB-16, BB-62
Yep. Need to find a good cheap laptop. The kids are starting to get to the age where they're going to need/want a computer for school.

Maybe need to find three or four of them. Or five. The wife's laptop was bought 4 years ago.

I'll certainly check out all the possible options. The sister in law works for Microsoft, so she may be able to get me a discount of some sort.

Belushi TD


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 7560
Location: BM-9, BB-30
One thing to watch out for: the computer that is wonderful and top of the line on everything, bleeding edge in some areas even...but which has an integrated graphics chip.

You do not want an integrated graphics chip.

You can have dual core 3.33ghz processor, 1TB hard drive space, and RAM for days, but if you have an Intel graphics chip, you can forget about playing anything more graphically strenuous than Terraria, and even that is going to lag...

_________________
RLBH wrote:
I'm sorry, but I prefer to carpet-shark my enemies. Much more mayhem, though it must be admitted that the laser-guided shark is cheaper.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:41 am 
Offline
Mockingbird

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 am
Posts: 3960
Location: BB-16, BB-62
Wifey has her undergrad degree in computer science. She's enough experience to steer me clear of that sort of folly!

But thanks for the advice. Always good to keep that fresh in the mind.

Belushi TD


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 4052
Location: On the shores of Lake Armstrong
So right now, in a PVE match, I was caught between a DD and a squadron of Torpedo Bombers. Took six torpedo hits, sprung a leak and lost health down to 321 of 43800. Survived, barely, and then was torpedoed again, only to barely managed to turn away and have the fish go past on both sides. Had cooldown on DC Parties so with no health I was then cornered by a Battleship. ONly that the AI chose to fire at a nearby cruiser instead of me, so I managed a few good hits and took him down...

_________________
“Ancient astronauts didn't build the pyramids. Human beings built the pyramids, because they're clever and they work hard.”

-Gene Roddenberry


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:31 pm
Posts: 246
Warspite is supposed to go back on sale on the EU server. I expect it will return to the NA server sometime after that.

I haven't played since Tirpitz went on sale. You can't get in a tier 6 or 7 match without seeing more Tirpitzes than flies on doo-doo. I'll probably wait a while until the fascination with the newest premium wears off...


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 4052
Location: On the shores of Lake Armstrong
SpookyZ wrote:
Warspite is supposed to go back on sale on the EU server. I expect it will return to the NA server sometime after that.

I haven't played since Tirpitz went on sale. You can't get in a tier 6 or 7 match without seeing more Tirpitzes than flies on doo-doo. I'll probably wait a while until the fascination with the newest premium wears off...


I bought Warspite. Nothing quite like one-shotting a cruiser at 10 km distance. :D

And she is quite the good-looking lady, I must say.

Even with the Supermarien Walrus as a spotterplane.

_________________
“Ancient astronauts didn't build the pyramids. Human beings built the pyramids, because they're clever and they work hard.”

-Gene Roddenberry


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 7560
Location: BM-9, BB-30
SpookyZ wrote:
Warspite is supposed to go back on sale on the EU server. I expect it will return to the NA server sometime after that.

I haven't played since Tirpitz went on sale. You can't get in a tier 6 or 7 match without seeing more Tirpitzes than flies on doo-doo. I'll probably wait a while until the fascination with the newest premium wears off...


From watching The Mighty Jingles' videos, it would seem that the cure for Tirpitzitis is running a properly kitted destroyer, launching torpedoes, and smiling as all the newbies in their shiny wunderwagens keep sailing in straight lines...

_________________
RLBH wrote:
I'm sorry, but I prefer to carpet-shark my enemies. Much more mayhem, though it must be admitted that the laser-guided shark is cheaper.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:51 pm
Posts: 309
Sounds like the new Soviet destroyers are the cure to the Tirpitz problem. Also let them eat Yamato, Iowa, and Montana.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am
Posts: 6361
Location: Cambs, UK
I would like to have seen Montana...

sorry, that thread was a week ago now.

I've not played in a few weeks or more as much else has kept me busy- work, planning the boat build, new car project etc... but I'm guessing that the new Soviet destroyers will sweep everything before them, just as the T-54 does in WoT...

_________________
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured, tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:31 pm
Posts: 246
As an aside, Armored Warfare goes into open beta on the 8th. That's another free to play tank game, picks up roughly where WoT leaves off so there is some small overlap. Somethings are done differently, but it plays very similarly. Also has a PVE element rather than being all PVP.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:37 pm
Posts: 544
darthkommandant wrote:
Sounds like the new Soviet destroyers are the cure to the Tirpitz problem. Also let them eat Yamato, Iowa, and Montana.

It's a huge advantage, you know, not being tied down to anything that ever actually existed (even on paper).

Speaking of which, apparently the German and Soviet navies are both going to be in with full tech trees before the RN, rather than after the French and Italians as would be more appropriate.

_________________
"Gotta say, doctor, your talent for alienatin' folk is near miraculous."


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 pm 
Offline
Official Board Weasel Nut
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:24 pm
Posts: 7026
Location: The Island
Philistine wrote:
darthkommandant wrote:
Sounds like the new Soviet destroyers are the cure to the Tirpitz problem. Also let them eat Yamato, Iowa, and Montana.

It's a huge advantage, you know, not being tied down to anything that ever actually existed (even on paper).

Speaking of which, apparently the German and Soviet navies are both going to be in with full tech trees before the RN, rather than after the French and Italians as would be more appropriate.


Navyfield did something of the same starting with the USN, RN, IJN and KM, then later adding the Soviets and finally French, but no Italians, iirc.

_________________
Image
"It is easy to do nothing. And to do nothing is also an act; an act of indifference or cowardice."
-Admiral H. G. Rickover


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:29 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am
Posts: 6361
Location: Cambs, UK
SpookyZ wrote:
As an aside, Armored Warfare goes into open beta on the 8th. That's another free to play tank game, picks up roughly where WoT leaves off so there is some small overlap. Somethings are done differently, but it plays very similarly. Also has a PVE element rather than being all PVP.


Have you tried War Thunder? If not I urge you to do so. Armour seems to be accurately modelled, ranges are actual scale (no being tied down to 540m), tanks can take 15-20 rounds or be one shotted dependent on where they're hit- no points-based "health", it all depends on what the projectile, copper jet or spalling hits inside the tank. The only downsides that I can see are a) it's really easy to skid any tank- driving model needs work; and b) the learning curve is somewhat steeper than WoT.

Both PvE and PvP in the same battle. Assault guns and TDs are treated the same, there is no playable arty- but you can call for arty strikes, and you can "jump" into air support once you have enough kills in the current battle (anything from a Gladiator to a B-17).

Of course it's another Russian game, so there is definite bias, but nowhere nearly as obvious as WoT (at least on the ground; in the air is a different beast).

_________________
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured, tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:31 pm
Posts: 246
Yep, as I mentioned previously (probably in the WoT thread), War Thunder is my sim fix. I tend toward the more arcade style games, WoT, WoWs and now Armored Warfare. Though if I want a aerial combat game, WT is definitely the place I hang out.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 pm
Posts: 1596
Just FYI the RN has <finally> gone on sale. The timing sucks, I just unlocked the Iowa and was about to go sub-10 in Ranked battles, but hay nothing is free.

I've made it to the Danae (T4) thus far, and I'm reasonably happy.

The lack of HE is a problem, the added difficulty it brings when dealing with DD's and other cruisers is one thing, but when facing BB's it is a right pain and torps are about the only option. I've seen it take 3 or more RN CL's to pummel a Kongo to death. On the other hand, these babies go like raped apes, agility might not be armour but the bat out of hell acceleration is damned nice all the same.

Alas I get the impression that the RN in WoW has something of the same feel as the British line in WoT, that lack of general all around utility. It's a bit early to draw any conclusions, ubt to this point, I get the feeling that, while I could do really well in it, I wouldn't want to have to carry a game in an RN cruiser.


shane

_________________
Actually, I know Foucault about postmodernism


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:38 pm
Posts: 2370
I haven't played WoWS in a while. I actually stopped shortly after the Soviet destroyers went online. Did they go the way of the T-54?

Hearing about the Soviet tanks being "somewhat" OP in WoT prevented me from ever trying my hand at that one.
I have also heard that the high-tier German tanks in Armored Warfare suck something fierce, read lots of enraged posts about that and not only by Germans ;)

_________________
A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:37 pm
Posts: 544
Is the preferred tactic in WOWS still to cap your own T?

_________________
"Gotta say, doctor, your talent for alienatin' folk is near miraculous."


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 7560
Location: BM-9, BB-30

_________________
RLBH wrote:
I'm sorry, but I prefer to carpet-shark my enemies. Much more mayhem, though it must be admitted that the laser-guided shark is cheaper.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am
Posts: 6361
Location: Cambs, UK
The Argus wrote:
Just FYI the RN has <finally> gone on sale. The timing sucks, I just unlocked the Iowa and was about to go sub-10 in Ranked battles, but hay nothing is free.

I've made it to the Danae (T4) thus far, and I'm reasonably happy.

The lack of HE is a problem, the added difficulty it brings when dealing with DD's and other cruisers is one thing, but when facing BB's it is a right pain and torps are about the only option. I've seen it take 3 or more RN CL's to pummel a Kongo to death. On the other hand, these babies go like raped apes, agility might not be armour but the bat out of hell acceleration is damned nice all the same.

Alas I get the impression that the RN in WoW has something of the same feel as the British line in WoT, that lack of general all around utility. It's a bit early to draw any conclusions, ubt to this point, I get the feeling that, while I could do really well in it, I wouldn't want to have to carry a game in an RN cruiser.


shane


Our last game together Shane was my last game fullstop in WoWS or indeed anything else. Real Life kicked in somewhat. Pahhh.

Might be around over the weekend if you're on.

_________________
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured, tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am
Posts: 6361
Location: Cambs, UK
Jotun wrote:
I haven't played WoWS in a while. I actually stopped shortly after the Soviet destroyers went online. Did they go the way of the T-54?

Hearing about the Soviet tanks being "somewhat" OP in WoT prevented me from ever trying my hand at that one.
I have also heard that the high-tier German tanks in Armored Warfare suck something fierce, read lots of enraged posts about that and not only by Germans ;)


They are broadly along the same line yes. I watched a Bogatyr protected cruiser, 12 x 6", 6500 ton, gun two BBs to death at what would be long range in the game (~8000m) for the cruiser.

It isn't so much that the Russian/ Soviet kit is OP, its that it all seems to never suffer any obvious weakness with only a few exceptions (KV-5's driver's cupola for instance). Their tanks have utterly crap gun depression (some tanks have no depression below 0 degrees) but due to the modeling constraints that's not a problem. E.g.:

WoT has a maximum draw distance of a square (from memory) 500m on a side, centred around your commander's viewports. So the maximum that you can see is the diagonal of that square (540m from memory). So the whole of reality fades away after half a klick.

Maps are similarly small, some maps are as little as 3.5km per side, some are bigger but none go much beyond 5km/ side.

Tanks use a points health system. One-hit kills are possible but almost always due to doing large hitpoint damage rather than calculated physical damage. So very rarely will one shot from a tank's gun kill an undamaged enemy tank. "Game balance" you see. This immediately puts the later Western tanks with the 105mm guns at a disadvantage as those guns were designed to one-shot-kill Soviet tanks IRL at very long range.

Soviet tanks are generally faster and more maneuverable than their Western counterparts.

As you can probably appreciate, this means that any tank with a long reload time is at a disadvantage against another tank with a short reload time, all things being equal.

So the preferred tactic is for the Soviet tanks to take the enemy shot, maybe take the damage, and in the 9-12s of reload time rush to close the distance to their opponent to where they can circle-strafe him to death, negating the heavy frontal armour of the Western tanks.

It should come as little surprise to see the same generalities carried over to WoWs.

_________________
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured, tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group