History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: World of Warships
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:55 pm 

So I got into the closed beta and have been playing a fair amount. It's decently fun if a bit slow sometimes, but reasonably worth it to much of this crowd if you can get your hands on a beta key.

There's no American battleship line yet, but with the time I've invested, I've managed to acquire it.

The most legendarily beautiful warship ever to grace the oceans.

Gentlemen,

I give you:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Actually, I'm going to out myself as a heretic - I don't think Fuso really looks that bad - certainly not compared to the B-40 design (called Myogi in game):

I'm still at low tiers on the Japanese cruiser and destroyer lines and don't have any port slots left to get any more ships at this point, which is a big annoyance so far, but the game is interesting and I'm waiting to see where it's going to go.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:12 pm 

I was/am a Closed Alpha Tester for this (and others, I have time, so..), and you should have seen the game before they applied the CBT patch.

It was a beautiful game. I liked it as much as I loathed World of Tanks (that's a lot).

Now, in comparison, it's not quite a steaming pile of excrement, but it's nothing like it was. I just don't understand why they did what they did. They basically had avoided the mistakes of WoT (so they should, they had literally years to learn what they were), and then in one mega patch they just made it WoT on water, with all the faults contained therein.

It just doesn't make sense.

It does still look beautiful though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 pm 

That's interesting to hear - what made it different, in your view, and what did they change? I didn't get a chance to play the alpha so I don't have a point of comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 am 

Probably shouldn't even have made the post as what happened in Alpha apparently stays under NDA.

They changed the usual things, messed with the matchmaking, and gave destroyers what are effectively cloaking devices. I've had them disappear on me at 1km range, after I set them on fire and whilst they're shooting at me, never happened before the last big patch. Lots of other bits and pieces, but being torpedoed in broad daylight by an invisible destroyer when radar is (apparently) working and I have a scout plane up, is just not on. Apparently nobody has any working optics on my ships.

Overall, it was just more fun previously, they've sucked a lot of that out and made it more like work. Not good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:48 am 

I had high hopes for World of Warships. Started off with WoT back in '10 and, at the time, really rather enjoyed it. Not a great player and not a stat-padder but it was quite fun. Then the British line came out and I thought, yippee, CENTURION!!! However- such was not to be. Everything was dominated by Soviet tanks. Shoot a T-54... ping! Away my AP shot bounces. Front, side, doesn't matter. Even better, shoot a T-54 from 500m away, ping, he comes my way and before I can get a 2nd or 3rd shot off, he circle-strafes me to death.

I stopped playing WoT earlier this year and moved to War Thunder, where distances and projectile velocities actually MEAN something at the very least- and also, as I understand it, where never-built vehicles don't grossly outperform tried and tested vehicles as in WoT.

So, after all of this, I predicted that WoWS would turn into WoT on water- and it looks like it's happening. WG have a huge Russian, Chinese and Middle Eastern player base, more than enough to satisfy their bank accounts, and they will work to appease them first. US, UK and EU players will champ at the bit waiting for their ship lines to turn up and then be generally disappointed, with just enough exceptions to provide argument.

So don't go expecting your SoDaks, NCs or Iowas to stand up to superior Sovietskyy Soyuz armour/ armaments, it just won't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:32 pm 

That's the way it goes in "sim" games, though. Because the game developers are creating both the simulated system - whether it's some kind of vehicle, or entire socio-economic systems as in Civilization - and the laws of the environment in which the system will operate, it's very very easy for the developer to (intentionally or unintentionally) put a thumb on the scale. "Developer's Pets" that unrealistically dominate all opposition seem to be more the rule than the exception.

And indeed, this is an issue with computer simulation in general - by itself, all it does is demonstrate what could happen if the phenomenon being looked at has been modeled correctly. The nice thing is that simulation lets you run lots of iterations of slow, complex, and/or expensive processes within a reasonable time; but you have to keep checking the results against real data, or all you've got is the Information Age equivalent of, "If my theory is correct, then my theory is correct."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 pm 

In the case of WoT, the deliberate decision to skew distances (in some cases to 1km square maps)... To allow the tank a spotting distance limited to 500m... Was really what ruined it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm 

Here's an example of matchmaking that I ran into yesterday. Again I didn't run into anything this extreme before the big CBT patch.

No I didn't win, and no it wasn't any fun.

Things may have changed for the better, hopefully, by open beta and ya'll can make up your own minds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:14 am 

Been in this Warships Beta since it opened. I've noticed that matchmaker seems wildly inconsistent. Can't speak to any particular patch, but: Destroyer smoke screens are ridiculously effective at the moment. Torpedo bombers are a bit over powered, especially at lower levels when AA armament was light to nonexistent. Torpedos are also over powered for a game. If this were a sim, I think they'd be pretty much spot on, but it's not, it's game.

With regards to the spotting range in WoT, the devs have stated that 500m is the furthest out the engine will let them render non-scenery. Is that an excuse or outright BS? Can't say. I still play and rarely have any issues with penetration of enemy vehicles. That said, I don't have the Centurion I yet and I tend towards heavies and tank destroyers. So I've been strafed to death many times, but usually by those damned auto-loaders. I think the accusations of Soviet bias are only slightly true. I've had no problems killing most Soviet vehicles, IS7 excepted.

My UID in both games is SpookyZ on the NA servers, it makes it easier for my friends to find me. Feel free to send me a friendvite, but I really suck at Warships right now and my performance in Tanks has also been wildly erratic of late.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:48 am 

Spooky,

if you enjoy tanks, give War Thunder a go. I urge you, please. Even in Arcade mode it feels like how I always wanted WoT to feel; it has no arty; it has most of the same vehicles as WoT (but only US/ Ger/ Sov so far); it has SPAAG AND you can hop into a jabo and do some ground strafing if you want.

Aside from all of that it is as free to play as WoT is. The learning curve is no sharper either. The main exceptions are that there is no arbitrary view range restriction (dependent on crew skill only) so targets can be spotted and engaged out to 2000m+; tanks do not have hitpoint pools and must be hit (and penned) in a vital spot before they're destroyed (which makes it annoyingly easy to be one shotted by something you'd not expect to be able to); you can respawn multiple times in one match if you like (and have spare tanks to use). Victory conditions differ from WoT but the overall feel is much more "realistic", even on the arcade mode.

I understand that the devs are working to combine Air and Ground right now, and have Naval on the plans too. It looks good.

I'm in the UK but I might log into WoT again and add you. It just winds me up soooo much... if you've not played Brit tanks on it you might not appreciate the irritation of T-54s swarming and totally destroying AFVs that IRL, took them to pieces in short order!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:24 pm 

I play War Thunder infrequently...mostly when I want my sim fix. I enjoy the arcade-like play of WoT and WoWs. It's a nice distraction for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:53 pm 

Warships closed beta progress has been wiped with yesterday's 0.4.0 patch. Open beta is expected to start next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:03 pm 

It has begun...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:57 pm 

Holy Crap this game is a lot of fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 am 

Have begun also and have now got my first tier II schip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:32 pm 

I've been playing this since about midway through the the CBT, lots of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:11 pm 

Got two tier 2 ships. This game is really fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:55 pm 

Got my first BB last night, but I am finding that I might do more damage to other ships, I score more points with my St. Louis given the greater number of guns and the faster reload times. AS near as I can figure, you get more experience for hitting a lot than you get for destroying a few or one.

I am always up for being in a division.

In game name is Mologue.

It's not Waarthog since that account was tied to my WoT account on the iphone and by the time I figured out how to merge it to the main PC based site, I had already signed on for WoT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 am 

Surprisingly much more fun than WoT. Only been team-killed once so far. Ridiculously low spotting range- a carryover from WoT I presume, mind you 12000m is better than 540... but quite a lot of fun.

Forget what my username is but likely something along the lines of James Bigglesworth, which is usually more amusing in a flightsim than land/sea combat :-P

I log into the US server as I can't be hassled with all the Comm... Russian types spamming fire (and weird typeface) everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:58 pm 

The NA server gets the Russians once in a while. No real issue with spamming unless it's torps (been sunk once or twice because of torp spam).

I've been playing infrequently since I've been messing with Assassin's Creed:Rogue (nice 18th century naval aspect to that game as well), but I did just get into the St Louis. That's pretty much the only lower tier ship I kept in CBT, because it's just too fun. My first game in OBT was a killer game in my Arkansas Beta. She's not very fast but having six main turrets adds a serious punch at that tier.

Waarthog, I'll send a friend request next time I'm on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next