History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: World of Warships
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:52 am 

It is a bit uneven isn't it. Works best as part of the pack IMHO, you need plenty of other people around for the enemy to shoot at.

Belfast isn't bad... still a bit soft, but a ton of DPS and HE really underlines why they did the whole AP only business.

shane

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:02 am 

The Argus wrote:
It is a bit uneven isn't it. Works best as part of the pack IMHO, you need plenty of other people around for the enemy to shoot at.

Belfast isn't bad... still a bit soft, but a ton of DPS and HE really underlines why they did the whole AP only business.

shane

Just a bit. I love the ship, fantastic, great tactical diameter (I have the rudder mod)

I'd say that I'll meet you online on Friday, but I'm being forced intowe're having a weekend away in sunny Deva Victrix :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:30 am 

Say hello to Legio II Adiutrix for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 am 

They'll probably nick my alloys ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:50 am 

Craig, sorry i couldn't hang around.

Ok quick first impression on the Perth.

It's a Magister (of the Miles ilk), as in a difficult ship to sail well, but a wonderful learning tool. While its capabilities are 'unique' and so demand developing a different approach, the skills you pick up are just what you need for the RN cruiser line. In some respects its 'easing you in' while in others its shoving you in off the deep end. The smoke is a good example, its not DD smoke, but its not 'Cruiser Smoke' either, rather Perth is half way between. You can use it just like normal Cruiser smoke, and just sit in the one place, but you can also proceed at 1/4 speed ahead or full astern (for a while)* and still stay in your smoke. This might not seem all that helpful. But the trickiest aspects of employing cruiser smoke are positioning and speed control, so this 'Perth Smoke' by allowing movement lets you smoke up, but with a tolerance for getting either aspect wrong.
*going full astern will eventually get you to a speed that out runs the smoke, easy enough to avoid, but teaching you to keep an eye on things when manoeuvre in a smoke cloud, again easing the player into the right skill set.

Where as with the guns, its 12km range really is throwing you into hot water. Forcing you to learn to live up close and personal with the enemy in an eggshell armed with toffee hammers (which is the lot of RN Cruiser drivers in mid and higher tiers). But you've got the HE to again provide the skill buffer and compensation, this time in the form of added flexibility and dps, plus the spotter to reward good tactical placement when smoking up. Yet the spotter still only works within the normal spotting mechanics, so again keeping it real, if in a bizarre way given what is supposed to be happening in the RL sense.

Speaking of the spotter, it comes at the expense of the Repair Party. This, like the HE, is keeping things consistent with normal cruisers, so reducing the impact of change. Yet at the same time reinforcing the development of survival skills and techniques.

Basically I'm very impressed, not with the ship, but with what I can feel is the approach taken in setting it up.

So why arn't I impressed? Well I'm not unimpressed, its just I've only had 2 games in her so I'm reserving my conclusions. Actually I suspect in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, the damn thing has the potential to be quite nasty indeed. I know I've done quite well in her thus far. My one great big raspberry is the skipper. The idea of NOT being able to swap RN skippers into Cw ships... well it makes little sense to me, in the game terms let alone being unhistorical. This is just my opinion of course, but T6 is where you really need a Premium RN cruiser. I'd have been happy to lose the Belfast (as a Premium) in exchange for the Perth. Admittedly the Belfast does have an instructional role for capabilities that an't applicable to T6, but I don't think they really need a ship to introduce them. If you can 'Perth' then adding Radar is hardly a major leap. My gut feeling is they just wanted a token RN ship that could/would be a bit OP just to deflect a bit of criticism, and T7 seemed like the place to do it.

Anyway I'm not going to recommend the Perth as a ship to buy. I only bought her for the obvious sentimental reasons. But I don't regret it.

shane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 pm 

Hello fellow Captains.
I'm a big fan of the German BB's (have a fully upgraded SMS Konig) and find the aforementioned ship to basically be a excellent can of Cruiser be gone. Since I got this ship I've been averaging 3-4 citadels a game. But I do feel that the low tier German BB's are a bit too powerful. Not sure how to nerf them but they do need a bit of a tweak in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 pm 

darthkommandant wrote:
Hello fellow Captains.
I'm a big fan of the German BB's (have a fully upgraded SMS Konig) and find the aforementioned ship to basically be a excellent can of Cruiser be gone. Since I got this ship I've been averaging 3-4 citadels a game. But I do feel that the low tier German BB's are a bit too powerful. Not sure how to nerf them but they do need a bit of a tweak in my opinion.

As a update I now have 3,000,000 credits and this means that I can Keep the SMS Konig and get the SMS Bayern as well. This is great news for me since the SMS Konig is basically a Reichsmark (credits) printer as well as a EXP booster. Love this ship.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 pm 

I'm glad someone likes the German BB's :)

Personally I don't enjoy them that much, and for some reason the German cruiser line hasn't done anything for me either, which is odd as I usually find something to love in any cruiser.

What server are you playing on?

shane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:53 am 

I'm darthkdant on the North Americanserver
I found that playing the German Cruiser gave me valuable lessons for the German BB line specifically "WASD hacks" (I.E. change course and speed constantly.) It helps me that I had a bunch of 300% caption exp flags so I got a 11 point captian by the time I got SMS Konig.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 am 

And obviously the problem with WASD in German BB's is the glacial turret rotation :)

shane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 am 

Poor turret rotation rate be mitigated with planning somewhat. Though there are definitely some "Oh S..t" situations that I have experienced. Usually involving destroyers coming in unexpectedly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:21 am 

I'll keep an eye out for you, D_K ;) I stopped playing German a while back, but for some reason (probably me being utterly ****) I'm finding it all VERY hard. I cannot get on with the Cleveland for instance at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:23 am 

For me I've noticed that German BB's must absolutely be played aggressively in order to be successfuly played. They should be leading the main charge or be immediately behind/off the side of the front line units. Targets should be cruisers, battleships, destroyers, and finally carriers (in order from highest priority to lowest priority targets). Captian skills should prioritize secondaries and superintendent at their 3 (you will need the extra repair party due to the higher amount of normal AP damage but rare citadel hits). Also the upgrades should include the fire control mod 1 starting at tier 5.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:37 pm 

Thanks for the great game Craig. We will have to do it again sometime, hopefully with more luck with our shooting. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:42 pm 

darthkommandant wrote:
Thanks for the great game Craig. We will have to do it again sometime, hopefully with more luck with our shooting. :)

No probs, same goes!! Typically my shooting dramatically improved in my second battle!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:23 pm 

Edinburgh is quite nice, even without the hull upgrade she's just that bit tougher while retaining the line's agility. I'm probably playing them all wrong, but I tend to get stuck in and end up facing a fair bit of focused fire taking early caps and so forth - and this ship is handling it better than the Fiji could. I had a 120k dmg game last night and while that was with 2x torp hits it was still 218 hits with a couple of citadels it is still about as good as I've ever done in an RN cruiser.

DK - just for you (and the River Plate event) I took the Koning out for a run.... and had an awesome game even for a loss. Yet for all that I still don't feel comfortable in her. At close range you end up just being a passenger to a degree I simply don't feel in the Warspite far less any other line of BB's.

shane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 am 

Got back into the game in the last week or two and got the lvl VI US Cruiser, the Cleveland class, and I can't help but say that those quickfiring guns are a barrel of fun.

-Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 am 

All I know is that since the last update SMS Bayern feels more powerful especially at close ranges. (Under 10kms) Plus my secondaries sank an Omaha by themselves by setting him on fire but his torpedo flooded me out. Still I got 79k damage that game and won (on pi day so over 5k experience for me when all was said and done). Before the update I struggled to get 40k damage in the same ship, same captain, same setup. I still am terribad at cruisers and the less said about my destroyer skills the better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:44 am 

Surprisingly enough I tend to be better at cruisers than at BBs, though getting the unholy triforce (Iowa, Yamato, Bismarck) is my goal.

-Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm 

Comments?

https://youtu.be/UTE9YdUstV0

IMO he's he's certainly right that actual armour schemes, actual penetration and artificially short ranges must be a bad mix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next