History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Dunkirk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:03 pm 

Just come back from seeing it....very underwhelmed.

The BBC TV series previously mentioned was far better.

Three one hour episodes...which the BBC don't seem to have noticed yet.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3l9txr

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3l9v79

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3l85fz

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:53 pm 

One of the people that was there seems to have enjoyed it at least.
Quote:
'It was a strange chaos': Dunkirk movie hits home for WWII veteran who was there

By Alanna Smith
Originally Published: Jul 24, 2017

World War 2 vet Ken Sturdy who was at Dunkirk watched the premiere of the movie about it.Darren Makowichuk / Postmedia

Memories of the “chaotic” Dunkirk evacuation flooded back to 97-year-old war veteran Ken Sturdy as he watched the premiere of the war film on Friday at Westhills cinema.

The Battle of Dunkirk took place during the Second World War, as German Nazi troops forced Allied forces to flee from the beaches of Dunkirk, France.

Over 10 days, between May 26 and June 4, 1940, almost 350,000 soldiers were saved from the shores after an arsenal of small ships sailed to Dunkirk to rescue them.

Sturdy was on one of those ships.

“The only word you can use really is chaos. It was chaos. If you could get off the beach to boats, you did it,” he said.

“Men who had landed earlier in an attempt to confront the Nazis, they had to leave all their armaments behind. All our men who went over to try to save Europe just got away with themselves — that’s all.”

At just 20 years old, Sturdy was in the Royal Navy being trained as a signalman in Portsmouth, England, when they received an urgent message from an admiral in Dover.

All able-bodied men were needed. A fleet of small ships were crossing the channel to rescue soldiers under fire on the shores of France.

“It was not neatly organized — and to some extent it was. You couldn’t just run for a small boat, you waited your turn, you lined up,” said Sturdy. “And whilst this is happening, you’re being bombed and shot from the air.”

“It was a strange chaos, a kind of terror that went on for 10 days.”

There were no men left standing at Dunkirk come June 4, 1940.

If soldiers weren’t rescued, they were either floating in the water or taken prisoner, he recalled. Sturdy remembers lots of bodies.

“There was a real sense of loss,” he said. “There was a great sense of misery amongst the men. I can’t easily put it into words — we went across there to save Europe and we lost.”

Sturdy said the film portrayed those feelings realistically and he left the theatre emotional, thinking of all the men who lost their lives.

“Many of those young fellows we lost were 18, 19, 20,” said Sturdy. “I’ve lived a long, happy life, but I suppose this weekend my thoughts go back to all those chaps who were my age and didn’t live a long life.”

For the soldiers that lived — those who confronted death and felt their spirit flatten at the hands of defeat — victory was felt four years later on D-Day, June 6, 1944.

A decade later, Sturdy moved to Calgary with his wife and has been calling it home ever since. He became an artist after the war and even helped found the Alberta College of Art and Design.

“The miracle of Dunkirk — how all those men got away, I don’t know,” said Sturdy. Despite the very real account of war portrayed in the film, he thinks it’s unlikely people will learn from it.

“The human species is so clever. We can send a man to the moon and back, but we’re dumb when it comes to keeping peace,” he said.

“You’d think after that retreat in Dunkirk, we would have learned something. In a sense we do, but another generation comes along and thinks they can do better.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:32 pm 

Came back from seeing it. Most of the complaints registered in this thread are valid, but it still managed give me that sense of drama, was easy to follow and a great way to spend an evening. Definitely goes on the BluRay to-buy list.

-Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:48 pm 

Quote:
Came back from seeing it. Most of the complaints registered in this thread are valid

Basically, I'd agree with what Trekchu said, also his other comments about the film generally.

I'd add that the intercutting of the different segments and general shifting around got a bit too much, specifically with the bomb-run attacking the pretend HMS Basilisk.

Maybe three straight end to end stories, one after the other, with the characters interacting, could have been easier to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 pm 

I just saw it. I liked it, but have to acknowledge that the skipping narrative got a bit too much at times. And perhaps its just middle age creeping up on me, but I couldn't understand half the dialogue. I did like how personal/intimate the movie got. From a financial backing point of view, I really didn't see the full budget on screen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:37 pm 

Well at least we now, there will not be a sequel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:52 pm 

Lordroel wrote:
Well at least we now, there will not be a sequel.

Don't count on it, the SJWs will demand a sequel with minorities, LGBTQIA, and most importantly no white males. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 pm 

To avoid repeating things already said -

What I liked most about the film was how it showed a large battle as a collection of individually minor actions that interconnect in ways that aren't obvious to the participants. Each man is really fighting his own battle and he never knows how that battle affects much of anyone beyond his immediate line of sight. But it does, sometimes enormously. This is something that's often missing from war films where you usually get the grand narrative and small scale vignettes to varying degrees, but much more rarely how the vignettes combine to form the narrative.

What I liked least about the film was how it underplayed the scale and significance of events. It looked like a few thousand men were trapped and the whole thing was over in about a day. The Germans were a hundred yards from the beach which was defended by a dozen men with rifles. I saw the film with my American girlfriend and I don't think she understood that this was a world historical event. In that respect it was just a disaster movie painted khaki and needn't have been based on real events at all.