History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 12 O'Clock High
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm 

Today my class watched a scene from this movie, where Brig General Savage (played by Gregory Peck) takes over as commander. In it, he berates the gate guard for just waving him through (because he was in a staff car), demotes a sergeant to private (who was typing a report without his uniform blouse on) and demotes the cowardly XO to flight commander whose crew will be every misfit in the unit.

I found it interesting of the twelve of us in the class, I was the only one who thought everything he did was appropriate and correct. I could tell they were all looking at it from a 2017 perspective, not from a 1943 "the unit is in shambles and needs a kick in the ass to kill nazis" point of view. I just wish I could have been able to show some real life examples of things like this happening, but I couldn't find anything before the end of the discussion.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: 12 O'Clock High
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:12 pm 

History is a foreign country, becoming more foreign with each passing moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:14 pm 

The average ELOI Snowflake today, would be curled into a ball SOBBING just from watching the movie, god help them if they actually had to go through a REAL war.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 pm 
SAC-trained killer

S. Murray wrote:
Today my class watched a scene from this movie, where Brig General Savage (played by Gregory Peck) takes over as commander. In it, he berates the gate guard for just waving him through (because he was in a staff car), demotes a sergeant to private (who was typing a report without his uniform blouse on) and demotes the cowardly XO to flight commander whose crew will be every misfit in the unit.

I found it interesting of the twelve of us in the class, I was the only one who thought everything he did was appropriate and correct. I could tell they were all looking at it from a 2017 perspective, not from a 1943 "the unit is in shambles and needs a kick in the ass to kill nazis" point of view. I just wish I could have been able to show some real life examples of things like this happening, but I couldn't find anything before the end of the discussion.

I do not in the slightest exaggerate when I say that had you run that scene in front of a SAC NCO Academy class, the response would have been complete understanding.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:46 am 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
S. Murray wrote:

I do not in the slightest exaggerate when I say that had you run that scene in front of a SAC NCO Academy class, the response would have been complete understanding.

Mike

I believe it.

So, I had never seen the movie, so I watched it this afternoon. I still stand by my original view that General Savage handled the take over of the 918th correctly. I was surprised that he actually survived--I fully expected him to die in the final mission. But having the mental break was more effective, I think. An excellent film all together.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

I have long thought that we need our own Somme (while desperately not wanting one) to burn out the Turtle Fat.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill