History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:46 pm 

Quote:
Sounds like 95% of Hollywood. Given the disaster that was this year's movie box office, I'm wondering why any producer is going out of their way to insult half their audience.

Because, they are morons and ass-kissers with utterly no skills fitting their jobs?
Eg - they just replaced the director of SW Ep IX -- by whom? Why, JJ Lensflare!.... SW is doomed as a saga. To quote someone, Watch this...
AND, they had to throw the two douchebags doing the Han Solo movie off the train. Why? My goodness, their idea for the NUANCED peoples was to do THAT as a comedy! Just what every Solo fan curious about his backstory wants!!

None of these assclowns, are qualified to do a Kids PUPPET show. With SOCKS

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:52 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

TBH Star Wars was screwed after Empire Strikes Back the way Lucas was taking things. All that's changed now is he' out of the picture and others are able to drive it into the ground.

If you wanna know more check out SF Debris series, Shadow's Journey. http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/shadowsjourney.php

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:26 am 
SAC-trained killer

...I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that CBS is intentionally trying to kill their side of the ST franchise - it's split between CBS for TV and Paramount, which does movies.

They have repeatedly lied about what the show was going to be like - as opposed to artful misdirection to build interest, see also 'John Harrison' - they have made it clear that the show will be a politically correct screed that will tell us how bad Certain Political Viewpoints are, it's being broadcast on a platform that you have to pay above and beyond for, and (perhaps worst of all) they have blown canon to hell and gone just to prove they can. They couldn't possibly WANT to do real Trek - they have to be looking at it as a hindrance to more 'relevant' programming, and there has to be an attitude that they would be better off without having to worry about it. I can only assume that CBS wants to be in a position for the foreseeable future where they can say, "Look - we tried Trek, and it didn't work. Wudn't our fault, now siddown and watch 'NCISFBIKGBCIAGRUOSI: Upper West St Louis...."

I had such high hopes, especially after seeing the McQuarriePrise in that first teaser trailer.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 pm 

The Bushranger wrote:
Well we've always known the Klingons were the good guys anyway, right? :twisted:

F... the good guys! Credible villains are what a tv show/movie needs. And yes, I'm looking at you Stargate movie! :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 pm 

M.Becker wrote:
The Bushranger wrote:
Well we've always known the Klingons were the good guys anyway, right? :twisted:

F... the good guys! Credible villains are what a tv show/movie needs. And yes, I'm looking at you Stargate movie! :geek:

Well to be honest TNG started out with giant space jellyfish and Ferengi bad guys but then it improved. You never know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 pm 

The über-capitalist Ferengi might not have been evil but they were certainly fun. Very refreshing un-PC fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 pm 

The funny thing there is that as I understand it the Ferengi, originally, were essentially intended to fill the role the Cardassians wound up filling, the 'the next Klingons' antagonist role, as opposed to being the Comic Relief Ultra Plutocrats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm 

The Borg filled in the Klingons after the Ferengi failed. The Cardassians were more a side step seeking to make another antagonist but not one at least equal to the Federation. So much of what we saw involving the Cardassians in TNG was the Fed going out of its way to avoid a war they could win, but still wasn't worth the cost that led them into barely avoiding outright appeasement.

IMO< on its own it was terrible, but given that it receded DS9 and the Dominion War, I find it an awesome middle finger to the spirit in the Federation best represented by Picard that was dangerously naive and weak minded, something with continued to remain relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 am 

jemhouston wrote:
MikeKozlowski wrote:
Quote:
“The Klingons are going to help us really look at certain sides of ourselves and our country,” moonbat Aaron Harberts told Entertainment Weekly. “Isolationism is a big theme. Racial purity is a big theme.

....Yeeeeeeeeeeah, isolationists want to conquer and control other races and parts of the galaxy. You know how I know he's never SEEN a TOS episode?

And BTW, are we sure that's 'Harberts' and not 'Herberts'? From the nice people at Memory Alpha:

"...The term "Herbert" was an uncomplimentary slang term used by the acolytes of Dr. Sevrin. The basis for the term was a minor official named Herbert, notorious for his rigid and limited patterns of thought..."

Mike

Sounds like 95% of Hollywood. Given the disaster that was this year's movie box office, I'm wondering why any producer is going out of their way to insult half their audience.

The show's creators literally cannot comprehend or believe that any part of their audience would be insulted by this. Not only are they themselves not Trump supporters, they most likely don't even know anyone who is. Not a single one. That's also why their idea of what "Trump supporters" are like is such a ludicrous caricature (see: "racial purity"). Hand in hand with this: Proggies in general are really bad at drawing a distinction between art and artist, so that they cannot even imagine enjoying a work created by someone whose values differ from their own in even the smallest degree. They then assume everyone else is psychologically crippled in the same way that they are.

Further, (in their minds, at least) Star Trek has always been basically about Progressivism, dontcha know? So why would Trump's irredeemably deplorable masses ever want to watch a show like that anyway? Obviously they wouldn't!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:43 am 

Beastro wrote:
The Borg filled in the Klingons after the Ferengi failed. The Cardassians were more a side step seeking to make another antagonist but not one at least equal to the Federation. So much of what we saw involving the Cardassians in TNG was the Fed going out of its way to avoid a war they could win, but still wasn't worth the cost that led them into barely avoiding outright appeasement.

IMO< on its own it was terrible, but given that it receded DS9 and the Dominion War, I find it an awesome middle finger to the spirit in the Federation best represented by Picard that was dangerously naive and weak minded, something with continued to remain relevant.

Yeah it was with the arrival of the Borg that TNG got a proper enemy. I never cared much for the Cardassians, I always felt that a real scifi enemy should pose a terrifying existential threat which I don't think they did.
The Borg and Species 8472 are up there though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:06 am 

I'll admit it might be because I 'wasn't there at the time', but watching TNG now I...not just don't find the Borg frightening, I can't. All I see is "hello, I have arrived on your bridge and now I will flop my arms around."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:45 am 

The Bushranger wrote:
I'll admit it might be because I 'wasn't there at the time', but watching TNG now I...not just don't find the Borg frightening, I can't. All I see is "hello, I have arrived on your bridge and now I will flop my arms around."

Ha, watch them through the eyes of a 13yo who KNOWS that NCC-1701 is real and you'll be scared.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
The Bushranger wrote:

Ha, watch them through the eyes of a 13yo who KNOWS that NCC-1701 is real and you'll be scared.

Something like that :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 am 

The Bushranger wrote:

When the Borg were first introduced, they were legitimately terrifying. A decade later, they had been reduced almost to a punchline. And it's mostly Voyager's fault, or at least the lazy writing staff on ST:Voyager.

After their debut, every subsequent appearance of the Borg showed the audience more about them - over time, this stripped away their mystique (and also exposed just how little thought had actually gone into their initial creation). Instead of a mysterious, implacable force of unknown (perhaps unknowable) power and possessing bizarre abilities, the Borg became a known quantity. Almost old hat. Additionally, many of these later appearances noticeably reduced Borg capabilities compared to BoBW, and thus also reduced the threat the Borg posed: while the first Borg Cube to hit Federation space single-handedly wrecked most of Starfleet, by the end of Voyager's run a single small Federation ship single-handedly wrecked the entire Borg Collective, including uncountable numbers of the "unbeatable" Borg Cubes, with the Borg being unable even to attempt any response.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 am 

That's true, but it's still the BoBW Borg that I can't take seriously, primarily because of their appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm 

The Borg were an imposing threat to me, one that was all the more interesting because they didn't go out to their way to explain themselves like so many Trek antagonists do. They were an actual alien race for once, not just a human culture with a funny forehead and different customs, one that didn't care about the things we did or anything like it, and all the more so in TNG before the brain bug of assimilation reduced them to being simple bio-technological hive insects.

All say one thing, the Borg Cube trashing Star Fleet at Wolf 359 isn't all that imposing an event when the premire class of Federation capital ship, the Galaxy's, came with a pair of phasers and a handful of forward and rear firing torpedo tubes. They were the equivalent of Dreadnought armed like a peace cruiser, IMO.

The Bushranger wrote:
That's true, but it's still the BoBW Borg that I can't take seriously, primarily because of their appearance.

It was terribly silly in TNG. Unfortunately their face lift came hand in hand with their neutering.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 pm 

Micael wrote:
Beastro wrote:

Yeah it was with the arrival of the Borg that TNG got a proper enemy. I never cared much for the Cardassians, I always felt that a real scifi enemy should pose a terrifying existential threat which I don't think they did.
The Borg and Species 8472 are up there though.

The Romulans came to be the Klingons for TNG. A rewatch of the 3rd season TNG episodes where they appear, namely "The Enemy" and "The Defector," is very fruitful. Throughout TNG, the Romulans are the primary antagonist.

The Borg are completely different. "Q Who?" is one of the most terrifying Trek episodes out there, though it lacks the true horror of the Borg - assimilation. That taps into very deep-seated human fears of loss of autonomy and the one refuge you always have left. It's a very effective trope, from the brainwashing of the 50s, through the Manchurian Candidate, to the Borg and on into Mass Effect, to just cite a few.

Had they not used the Borg in "I, Borg" and "Descent," we'd have been left with a much more terrifying antagonist. While Alice Krieg is a very talented actress, the Borg would have been better without her queen, or the Data/Queen interactions in First Contact. Just leave them as an unknown, unknowable, unfathonable, but remorseless force of ultimate evil.

The Mikeyverses show how you use the Borg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:43 am 
SAC-trained killer

Quote:
Johnny Lyle: The Mikeyverses show how you use the Borg.

Thank you, sir. Suffice it to say you ain't seen nothin' yet. 8-)

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:19 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
Quote:
Johnny Lyle: The Mikeyverses show how you use the Borg.

Thank you, sir. Suffice it to say you ain't seen nothin' yet. 8-)

Mike

You're using the Borg in the classic horror sense. Men meddling in things they do not understand.

Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm 

I did watch the first episode and it was good. I'm still not paying to watch the rest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next