History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:03 am 

This is a new Finnish war movie that seems to be really, really good. Only seen raving reviews so far and it's selling out theaters in Finland. I'm hoping it'll come to the Swedish theaters soon.

It is based on a 1954 novel by the same name by Väinö Linna which follows a machine gun platoon from 1941-1944. Linna was an NCO in the Finnish army during the war. This is the third film that has been made based on the book.

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 am 

Quote:
Second world war epic 'The Unknown Soldier' breaks Finland box office record

The Unknown Soldier

Second world war drama The Unknown Soldier (Tuntematon Sotilas) has broken the opening weekend record for a local-language film at the Finnish box office.

Aku Louhimies’ historical epic, the most expensive Finnish film ever made at an estimated €7m, drew 170,213 viewers across previews and weekend screenings.

The debut marks the third-biggest opening ever in the territory behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Spectre, both of which went on to make more than $7m in the market, which has a population of only five and a half million.

The Unknown Soldier, which screened at 140 locations, is the story of an infantry unit’s tour of duty that lasts for more than three years during the second world war.

Louhimies produces alongside Mikko Tenhunen.

”We’re extremely proud that a Finnish film can compete at the box office with the biggest film productions in the world,” said Timo Räisänen, head of theatrical distribution at distributor SF Studios.

”I’m happy that so many people wanted to see The Unknown Soldier,” added director Louhimies.

”Our film has clearly reached different generations, and it’s being widely discussed in the media, social media and elsewhere. On behalf of the crew, cast and everyone else involved in the making of the film, I’m thankful that people have embraced this film.”

Beta Film handles international sales on the historical drama and will be screening it at the AFM in Los Angeles this week

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 am 

Looks like it’ll open in theaters in Sweden but the running time will be cut down from around three hours to 2-2:15. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 am 

Let us know how it is. Its a shame you get the cut down version, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm 

So, it opened in theaters here yesterday and today I was able to go watch it.

The running time was listed as 2 hours and 47 minutes, 12 minutes less than the listed time for the original cut so not too bad.

It's a very realistic, very nitty gritty portrayal of the continuation war told from the perspective of the soldiers oon the ground. Unfiltered even.
Apart from a couple of explanatory text frames it is unnarrated and one likely benefits a lot from having a basic clue about world war two, operation Barbarossa and so on as you're pretty much on your own in following the events on the large scale.

Overall I would put it among the absolute best war movies I've seen in the sense that it succeeds the best in conveying that down to earth perspective of war, both the combat aspect and the everyday life of the troops.

In other words you should try to watch it if you get the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 pm 

Thanks Micael, I'll look out for it.

I still remember Talvisota (spelling?) quite vividly like I just watched it yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm 

Sukhoiman wrote:
Thanks Micael, I'll look out for it.

I still remember Talvisota (spelling?) quite vividly like I just watched it yesterday.

Yeah Talvisota is also a good Finnish war movie, this is a good modern day equal to it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am 

Turns out it also beat the explosives record.
Quote:
Finnish war movie 'Unknown Soldier' sets explosives record, watch video (exclusive)

Unknown soldier

Finnish war epic Unknown Soldier has taken more than $14m at the local box office, making it the biggest film ever in the territory since modern records began in the 1970s. In the same period, the 830,000 admissions for the movie are second only to Titanic. The film also drew 20,000 people to its Swedish debut last weekend, also a record for a Finnish film.

Box office records aren’t the only milestones the film is crossing.

Aku Louhimies’ historical epic, which cost around €7m, has also smashed the Guinness World Record for the most high-explosives detonated in a film take.

In one shot, the team used 64.8kg of high explosives with a TNT equivalent of 70.5kg.

The June 2016 simulation of an artillery bombardment of a Russian bunker included eleven ground explosions and fifteen tree explosions. The explosions were carried out on a military base in an area where trees were due to be culled for construction purposes.

Spectre currently holds a separate record for the largest movie stunt explosion.

Unknown Soldier’s special effects supervisor Duncan Capp, whose credits also include Batman Begins and Troy, told Screen: “At first we didn’t know we had set a record. It was a wide shot and we just used the amount of explosives needed in order to cover the shot. We knew we had used a lot, but it wasn’t until we finished shooting and talked about it that we realised we had used a massive amount compared to the previous record.

“Most war films use a lot of kerosene to create fireballs [as was the case with the Spectre stunt] which look very big. The amount of actual explosive needed for a fireball is relatively small. Also, a lot of films use different cuts to allow time to setup, shoot and move cameras etc. Aku [director Aku Louhimies] wanted these explosions to be shot in one take using eight cameras.”

Adapted from one of Finland’s most popular books, Unknown Soldier is the story of an infantry unit’s tour of duty that lasts for more than three years during the second world war. Louhimies is currently overseeing the adaptation of the film material into a ‘5x50’ TV series, which will also be handled by Beta Cinema.