History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lindybeige
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 pm 

I just came across some lectures by a very amusing Brit called Lindy Beige.
He'a a fan of Harry Flashman, one of my favorite comic history fictional characters so he can't be all bad. ;)

He has a lot of vids lectures on The Roman Legions/Army. Although "Imperial Governor" is one of my favorite historical novels (I reread it about once a year) and I really like the first half hour of "The Eagle"; I'm not in any way an expert. I still get very confused when someone is writing/talking about the Legionaries because I default to the early Empire with the Lorica Segmentata, square scutum, Spanish Sword and pila and many times the Legionaries are from an earlier or later period.

I've seen some pretty entertaining Youtube videos by an Italian called "Metatron". He seesm to know what he is talking about but I can't swear to it.

Can any of you advise me?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Lindybeige
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm 

I can only advise you to apply Flashman’s teachings to the modern era. They seem singularly applicable to the existing crop of politicians ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:23 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

Quote:
I've seen some pretty entertaining Youtube videos by an Italian called "Metatron". He seesm to know what he is talking about but I can't swear to it.

Welcome to the little youtube historical circle!

Id also recommend scholagladiatoria and also Shadiversity too, though I find the latter annoying at times.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
I can only advise you to apply Flashman’s teachings to the modern era. They seem singularly applicable to the existing crop of politicians ;)

Why am I not surprised that you, "Craiglxviii" old man, would be a Flashman Fan? Did you ever read "Flashman and the Redskins? IMO, Fraser knew quite a bit about the real West, especially West of Mangas Colorado's Apaches, of Kit Carson, Custer and Spotted Tail, of Crazy Horse and the Deadwood stage, gunfighters and gamblers.

However, his version of Little Bighorn is quite dated now given the Forensic archaeology conducted since.

"Craiglxviii" old man, I've heard that Fraser left some notes and a partial outline of the long promised Flashman in the American Civil War and that his estate was considering turning them over to another writer to use as a crib for another "official" Flashman novel. Have you heard anything about this?

I'd love to see Keith Thompson, author of "Scoundrel!" ,give it a try. He is the closest thing to Flashman I've come across. He's suppose to be a big Flashman fan. IMO, his writing and humor is very much in the same style as Fraser's. True, he's an American, but for a book about the American Civil War that might be a real plus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 am 

I’ve read most but not all of the Flashman Papers- I really should finish them off. I used to work in Rugby (well, someone has to) and I once took the opportunity to walk from the pub to the school, across the fields, that Flashman was carried on his hurdle when beastly drunk... always thought it a shame that the movie wasn’t successful either.

No, not heard that any cribbing notes existed. He’s a smashing character to read, just because he’s such a cad :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm 

Craig and other friends of Flashman might find this of interest.

It's from an OB of George MacDonald Fraser, Flashman's "father". :)

How did this rotter win our hearts?
Might help if you have a fairly Black heart to begin with eh Craig?

First, he tells a rattling good yarn, whether of great battles or Canterbury Cricket Week
Second, because the character is set in the 19th century, the author can get away with attributing to Flashman a bloodcurdling political incorrectness towards women and other lesser species, which delights modern closet chauvinists.
Third, Flashman also loses none of his old school-bully tastes, relishing the spectacle of his would-be murderer suspended over a precipice until his grip slips: "As you know, I'm a cruel bastard, and if there's one thing I enjoy, it's seeing another cruel bastard get his cocoa."
Fourth, Although the old rogue is a tremendous coward, his alleged autobiographies are irresistible, because his accounts are shamelessly truthful about his own behaviour. Caddish charm gets Flashman everywhere.
Fifth,He achieves unfailing success with the girls - even Queen Victoria, though Fraser is too careful of lese majeste to allow her enthusiasm for the whiskered hero to get beyond a little decorous eyelash-fluttering and regular invitations to Balmoral.
Sixth, Though he mocked Victorian hypocrisy and told tales in which the nice guys finished last - or, more often, dead - everything which he wrote was suffused with love for and pride in British history and the British Empire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:06 pm 

As black as the cover of “Smell the Glove” ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:23 pm 

The guy is funny. He teamed up with Nick Moran aka The Chieftain and also with a Brit living in Switzerland. On that occasion he was shooting several WW2 rifles including a K98. He slammed the bolt forward, the empty stripper clip fell to the ground and he said: " That's loud. An American might hear that."

That was pure comedy gold. And I'm watching way too much YouTube to get that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 pm 

I've been following Lindy for years. He's a wonderful source of intriguing hypotheses, a few of which are even true.