History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bright
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm 

This one's a Netflix original movie, directed by David Ayer (Fury, but also Suicide Squad). It's a buddy-cop action movie in an urban fantasy version of modern-day LA with elves and orcs (and dwarves mentioned once in dialogue). Will Smith does Will Smith things as the senior, grouchier member of the buddy-cop formula; his partner is the first orc police officer in US history. The racial metaphor is about as heavy-handed as you might expect, but it's also tolerably even-handed (orcs seem to be as hostile to the idea of an orc cop as humans are), and generally less smug and self-congratulatory than usual when Hollywood tries to address race.

There's a big divide between critical and audience ratings of the film (currently sitting at 29/100 and 7.3/10 respectively on Metacritic, and no, I don't know why they use two different but trivially-convertible scales). I enjoyed it: the world and characters felt believable (and also reminded me of the setting of Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I. novels, which are among my favorites), the action was fun, and Will Smith's schtick still hasn't worn out its welcome (IMO, at least). They left themselves plenty of not-quite-tied-off threads to weave into a sequel, and when/if that comes I'll probably watch that as well with every expectation of enjoyment.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Bright
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

Looks like a poorly done Shadowrun rip off by someone who doesn't know what made that setting so appealing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:15 pm 

The few minutes I watched the other day were so filled with cuss words it was stupid. Despite the intriguing concept it won't make it on my main list for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm 

Beastro wrote:
Looks like a poorly done Shadowrun rip off by someone who doesn't know what made that setting so appealing.

That's about as apt as calling Shadowrun a poorly done Tolkien ripoff by someone who doesn't know what made that setting so appealing: literally* the only thing Bright has in common with Shadowrun is the presence of Elves and Orcs. Bright is closer to "What might Middle Earth look like ~2000 years after the War of the Ring (assuming that at least some Elves didn't sail off into the West)?" than it is to "What if we started with Shadowrun, but dramatically reduced the general magic level and eliminated all of the cyberpunk stuff, all of the post-nation-state/rise of the megacorps stuff, all of the seedy "runner" underworld stuff, all of the non-metahuman magical creatures..." Just... No.

* Not figuratively.