History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:12 pm 
SAC-trained killer

Quote:
AND TURN OFF THAT FRAKKING MUSIC!

Let's keep our universes on their respective leashes, thank you very much. :D

Mike

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:01 pm 

Oh that is good, that is really, really good . . . .. .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am 

couldn't get one with the US Capital on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 am 

https://imgflip.com/i/1qiwer

Does this work?

Try this...

Attachments:
IMG_1366.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG [ 61.42 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:19 am 

close enough

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
Quote:

Mike

Why do you think I was demanding that the music be turned off? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:40 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
Quote:

Mike

If GalaxyQuest is a Trek movie, BSG is what Voyager would have been had Moore been assigned to it, not DS9.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:41 pm 
SAC-trained killer

Kirk hadn’t gotten much sleep, but the typically uncomfortable Starfleet Lodging bed was only part of the problem.

It was the quiet.

Not a sound to be heard, just the artificial quiet of a residence that wasn’t even yours. His apartment was a few miles away, with a comfortable bed, and the murmur of San Francisco outside. Something about it just kept your mind on track, kept it in its little boundaries and kept you from thinking about things that you shouldn’t.

She was gone, Kirk thought. I saw her go.

You were wrong, Jim, the voice came back, quiet and friendly. You made a mistake. She’s still there. You got a new Enterprise, and you thought it was all over. Nope.

Starship captains don’t make mistakes. They can’t make mistakes.

Wanna bet? Ask Steve Garrovick. Ask Matt Decker. Ask Ron Tracey. Oh, wait, you can’t. Ron’s been in an asylum for twenty years, and the other two are dead. Think about it, Jim…how many times were you in a position where if the breaks hadn’t gone your way, you would have ended up just like them - or worse, a desk-bound laughing stock until you finally got the message and quit…when they weren’t pitying you and whispering to themselves, “There but for the grace of God….”

Mistakes happen all the time, Jim, and if you’re lucky beings just die and you die with them. If you’re not…well, you get to live with it. What’s our average lifespan today - 120? And as healthy as you are, with your good genes, 130, 140 no problem. That many more years to reflect on what YOU did wrong -

STOP -

- and it was a long, long night.

The alarm sounded as planned at 0800, and Kirk knew he’d slept, but felt as if he hadn’t gotten a wink. Not the first time, not the last. Out of bed, check the message center - Shuttle departing at 1730, show time 1700 - plenty of time to get things together.

Shower, shave, breakfast, such as it was. Bones was already down in the dining hall, tucking into a pile of scrambled eggs and sausage, with orange juice and real Starfleet coffee to wash it down. Kirk just ordered oatmeal from the replicators - normally he had a pretty substantial appetite in the morning, but it just wasn’t there today. Bones nodded as he sat down.

“Morning, Jim. You look like hell.”

Kirk winced. “Good to see you too, Doctor.”

Bones smiled. “Get some coffee in you - doctor’s orders.” McCoy waved down a steward carrying a blue carafe, and pointed at Kirk. The man came over and with a practiced flourish flipped one of the massive handleless Starfleet mugs over, and poured a rich brown-red stream of aromatic coffee into it, snapping the carafe up without spilling a drop, and giving Kirk and McCoy a big grin and nod before moving on. Kirk picked up the mug and sipped carefully, the hot coffee rolling down his throat. Almost at once he started to feel better, more alert, that scratching behind the eyes fading out. More placebo than fact, he thought, but it works.

“You all right?,” McCoy asked around a mouthful of sausage.

“Depends,” Kirk replied. “A lot of the past decided to show up last night.” McCoy nodded equitably. “Not just for you, Jim. Spock’s embarrassed because he doesn’t remember most of it, I don’t remember much more than he does, and Scotty feels like hell.”

“Can’t imagine why.”

Kirk looked into his coffee cup as he sipped for a few seconds, so it took a moment before he realized that McCoy was glaring back at him. “Bones, what’s -”

“Now you listen to me, Captain Kirk.” The Georgia drawl was back, but there was nothing pleasant or welcoming about it. “Scotty thinks he let all of us down - not to mention that to him, Enterprise was even more - well, real, than it was to you. That ship was everything to him, and now after it’s been dead and gone for six years, suddenly her ghost appears and you expect him to be understanding about it? Hell, even Spock was surprised.”

Kirk took a deep breath. His old friend was right; he usually was. “Bones….I’m sorry. It’s just a lot to process. This whole story…Khan, David, Carol….Enterprise. It’s like the past just keeps rising from the…” Kirk paused for a second, unwilling to say the last word, but Bones stepped in. “I get it, Jim. You hang the good moments up in your mind for everyone to see, and the bad…well, you try to bury them. Doesn’t always work, and in your case…well, it’s been a few decades of things that would have filled the life of a dozen other men. Sometimes, it comes back. Face it - deal with it - survive it, just like you always have. Like we always have.”

Kirk smiled gently and replied, “Understood, Bones. I -”

“And while you’re at it,” McCoy said with a grin, “Pass the pepper.”

Kruge took a deep breath as the chill of a transport wore off, and saw K’voch standing at the base of the transporter platform, with another Senior Lieutenant behind him - a squat, stocky officer Kruge had never seen before.

With the red/gold epaulet of Fleet Security on his left shoulder.

K’voch came to attention and said, “Welcome, Commander. This is Senior Lieutenant Karzz…our new Security officer.” Karzz snapped to himself at that, saluting smartly and holding it as Kruge stepped down off the platform, sizing him up. Kruge took his time returning the salute, then asked, “Where is Senior Lieutenant Kast? I trust that since he is not here, he is either ill or dead.”

Karzz politely replied, “Kast was notified of a sudden illness in his family, and Fleet graciously gave him leave to join them.”

Kruge didn’t miss a beat. “Kast has never spoken of a family.”

Karzz smiled, or at least tried to. “Our shipmates have many things in their lives they do not speak of. In any event, he will not be rejoining the Dragon before your departure. Which, I am led to understand, will be soon.”

Kruge’s upper lip twitched, but he held his temper. “We will perform one more orbit, and then we depart. See to your stations. By the way - where is Senior Lieutenant Kast? I should like to send my hopes for his loved ones’ swift recovery.”

“Sadly, Commander, I am told that he cannot be reached.” Karzz inclined his head, then stood straight and saluted once more, turning smartly on one heel and striding out. Kruge said nothing, but K’voch finally broke the silence. “Someone suspects.”

Kruge nodded. “Admiral Kumerian. In fairness, he is a brilliant officer and a good judge of character - especially mine.”

“What do we do? Kast knew everything, and should they decide to question him…” K’voch let that trail off. They both understood that if Fleet Security decided to have a chat with Kast, it would be neither brief nor pleasant. Kast was a good warrior and loyal, but even the best had their limits.

“We continue. You know the old saying about no battle plan ever surviving contact with an enemy? Well, that -” Kruge pointed down the passageway - “is the enemy. Let us therefore make a new plan. In the meantime, bring our friends up from the surface on the next pass - use the cargo transporters, lock them out from the rest of the system. As soon as they are aboard, we shall depart.”

“And Karzz?”

“I have no doubt he shall do his duty. And I shall see to it personally.”

To Be Continued….

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:10 pm 

Klingon duty: To die well?

I wonder how many nights Kirk's ghosts come around to visit. He has a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:30 pm 

That was like a scene right out of Wrath of Khan. Kirk's exhaustion, Bones' abrasive concern. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm 

A Klingon who puts death ahead of duty is a taHqeq.

I don't think Kirk has too many ghosts. David, certainly, because the choice was David, Saavik or Spock, and David took the choice away. But ghosts represent mistakes. Things you could have done differently. Most of those lost under Kirk's command were casualties, but not realistic alternatives.

Of those who haunt him, Gary Mitchell and Finney are probably paramount. Or, perhaps, Elizabeth Dehner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 am 
SAC-trained killer

Johnnie Lyle wrote:

I don't think Kirk has too many ghosts. David, certainly, because the choice was David, Saavik or Spock, and David took the choice away. But ghosts represent mistakes. Things you could have done differently. Most of those lost under Kirk's command were casualties, but not realistic alternatives.

Of those who haunt him, Gary Mitchell and Finney are probably paramount. Or, perhaps, Elizabeth Dehner.

Without question, he's haunted by David - he knew about him, was never a part of his life, and when he does meet him discovers that the lad is remarkably like him...just in time to see him die. But then Carol Marcus would have to be one of those ghosts too, because he never knew what he could have had if they'd stayed together.

Mitchell, oh yes. And Dehner too, if for no other reason that collateral damage. But Finney? I don't know about that one. He might have felt bad about the initial report that sent Finney on a downward spiral, but an instance bad enough to go to the bottom of the promotion list (yet still remain in StarFleet) must have been pretty grim indeed. And then Finney's I'm-not-dead-yet stunt (that not incidentally threatened Enterprise as well - had Finney's plan worked, the computer glitch almost certainly would have led to a catastrophe in the near future) on top of that? I don't think after that point Jim Kirk ever lost a moment's sleep over Ben Finney. :)

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:00 am 

I keep saying it, but this has gravitas. It's like reading a Nick Meyer movie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am 

I suspect some of the people that died under his command do haunt him.

Once this is done, any chance of getting a pdf version?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 am 
SAC-trained killer

jemhouston wrote:
I suspect some of the people that died under his command do haunt him.

Once this is done, any chance of getting a pdf version?

Jem,
Absolutely.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:05 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Without question, he's haunted by David - he knew about him, was never a part of his life, and when he does meet him discovers that the lad is remarkably like him...just in time to see him die. But then Carol Marcus would have to be one of those ghosts too, because he never knew what he could have had if they'd stayed together.

Mitchell, oh yes. And Dehner too, if for no other reason that collateral damage. But Finney? I don't know about that one. He might have felt bad about the initial report that sent Finney on a downward spiral, but an instance bad enough to go to the bottom of the promotion list (yet still remain in StarFleet) must have been pretty grim indeed. And then Finney's I'm-not-dead-yet stunt (that not incidentally threatened Enterprise as well - had Finney's plan worked, the computer glitch almost certainly would have led to a catastrophe in the near future) on top of that? I don't think after that point Jim Kirk ever lost a moment's sleep over Ben Finney. :)

Mike

Dehner and Kelso more than Mitchell. Mitchell was a casualty of war, but Dehner and especially Kelso died because Kirk chose poorly in how to handle Mitchell.

Finney is absolutely somebody Kirk thought about, because he failed to detect the man going bad. That almost cost Kirk his career, ship and life.

Interesting that Terrell didn't come calling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 am 

Having just rewatched Wrath of Khan on the BIG screen (damned impressive that), Kirk has only one ghost - what could have been, and wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:43 am 
SAC-trained killer

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Having just rewatched Wrath of Khan on the BIG screen (damned impressive that), Kirk has only one ghost - what could have been, and wasn't.

Well put.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16