History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Dark Earth: 1947
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am 

Cheers; glad to be of service.

Notes:
- The arcanoscope is a fairly rare piece of kit
- Harper's Boys anti-tank rifle is a bit different from what we'd be familiar with, having a calibre of .700 and a larger magazine.
- Sergeant Payne is based on Harry Andrews' character in 'A Hill in Korea', Sandy Young is from 'The Wild Geese', Jerome Garvey is a portmanteau of Jerome Flynn and Paddy Garvey and Martin Fraser is from 'Fraser of Africa', a 1960/61 comic strip featured in Eagle.
- The Alpine Redoubt doesn't turn out to be a phantom here.
- The SS Kriegszauberen are a group that will crop up again; they have been mentioned obliquely in a few other tales.
- Sharpe capturing a battle standard...
- The mention of Spanish-Maya wars petering out in the late 1600s is something that will be expanded upon in time.
- Schmerzeilen's incantation is based on Mike Oldfield's bizarre Piltdown Man vocals at the end of Tubular Bells.
- The Guardian's words translate as "Midnight sorcerer, you die."
- Their destination is a fictional Mayan lowland city; Harris is a bit off on the time, with their arrival taking place in 912 AD.
- Xamaniqinqe's incantation would be very familiar to Catweazle and his use of something very similar to the Kalachakra Mantra of Tibetan Buddhism gives Harris all types of ideas; the connection between ancient civilisations has some meat to it here.
- Sharpe sees the rise of the Maya, Teotihuacan, the Olmecs and the earliest proto-Mesoamericans. The notion of a primordial fear of the sea comes from the fall of Atlantis and subsequent tsunamis.
- The Emperor of Atlantis's Great Matter is a war with Mu, which ends in disaster.
- Scérorbri = Skara Brae and Yaghir = Tierra del Fuego.
- Bochica, Enki, Con-Tici, Osirith/Osiris are all Atlantean survivors who become legendary figures and over time serve as the foundation of myth.
- The reference to stones of power is a hat tip to David Gemmell's Sipstrassi stones.
- Some day we will find the Cities of Gold...

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 am 

Ahem. It should be SS-Kriegszauberer (singular and plural). Zauberer however is more along the lines of a stage magician in the Geman language. Magier would be better.

A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm 

Quote:

With the Condor in flight?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

Bernard Woolley wrote:
Quote:

With the Condor in flight?

Waaaayyyyohhhwayohwayyyyyohwayyyohwayyyyohwayohwayohwayyyyyy-eyyyyy, Citieeees of Gooo-owowowollllllddd

Pretty much JUST like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:29 pm 

Glad to see the Cities of Gold references did not go astray. This won't be their only appearance.

Jotun, I'll fix the plural. I initially tossed up using Magier, but wanted to go for something deliberately jarring to show the linguistic differences between Dark Earth and our own world, whereby some words have different meanings or shades of meaning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:45 pm 

Simon, anyone who grew up in the '80s will never forgot The Mysterious Cities of Gold. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 am 

Of course. They were a marker of a certain subsection of a generation; mention it to those in the know and a wistful smile will be the beginning of the response. It was one of the television shows that was formative of many of my interests, sparking off a lifelong interest in Mesoamerica for one, and providing a number of plot lines I've incorporated into Dark Earth, albeit in a modified manner. To combine it in one tale with hints of Tolkien and David Gemmell is a pleasure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:02 pm 

Can you fit in Willy Fogg, Dogtanian and Ulysses 31? :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 pm 

Ulysses 31 has already been an influence on Space: The New Frontier and some future planned works. Alas, neither of the other two were broadcast here during my callow youth, so I know them not; adventurous dogs and cats make frequent appearances in many tales.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 pm 

Simon Darkshade wrote:
Ulysses 31 has already been an influence on Space: The New Frontier and some future planned works. Alas, neither of the other two were broadcast here during my callow youth, so I know them not; adventurous dogs and cats make frequent appearances in many tales.

But not all were all for one and one for all!

Seriously, it’s a classic..!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Simon Darkshade wrote:

Muskehounds are always ready!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

Missed out on the cities of gold myself - where I live they sent Les Mondes Engloutis (known in English as Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea)

Discovery Channel's rocket scientist:
"A rocket has to be versatile and cost-effective: it must be designed specifically for the task at hand."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:02 pm 

That one I do know and remember fondly; it also has a bearing on the space tales. Some of the more childlike elements don't make it, though.

Any comments or queries about the substance of the last few updates that aren't related to children's television from the 1970s and 80s? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 pm 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Simon Darkshade wrote:

Amusingly it is the most faithful adaptation of the Dumas novel I've seen. Other than the cast being dogs and cats obviously. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 am 

After watching an introduction and a few clips, I can see why youngsters would have liked it at the time, but neither really work in the circumstances of 1947; this isn't to say that they won't appear at some point in the backstories later down the line.

The last part of Part 9 will be 'House of Hell', a change of pace into the realm of Hammer films, Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and a little horror, mystery and adventure.

The remaining parts of the story, as I have it currently planned:

Part 10
Caribbean Cruise (Hornblower, pirate gold, Cold War)
Wolf’s Bane (Werewolves in Ruritania)
Indian Summer (History of India and India in 1947)
Pyramid Scheme (Egyptian Mysteries)

Part 11
Arabian Nights (Secrets of the Desert in a very different Arabia)
Battle for the Fjords (Scandinavia, Dwarves vs Orcs, Red Threat)
The Third Man (Strange Happenings in Vienna)
Theirs is the Glory (A veteran of Market Garden returns to the Netherlands)

Part 12
The Road to Mandalay (Burmese Trouble)
Wild Blue Yonder (USN, South Pacific, Indonesia, Antarctica)
Chariots of the Gods (Investigations of Strange Events...not Von Daniken, though)
The Iron Curtain (Cold War in Eastern Europe)

Epilogue
Roswell

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13