History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:13 pm 
Mockingbird

I bow to correct information.

Now that I ponder it, I believe I recall something about how his right hand man was the Irishman.

Just took me a while to get to it.

Thanks, all.

Belushi TD

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:46 am 

Notes on Chapter 14:

- Lloyd George's 'land fit for heroes' promised a lot, but fell short. There was significant slum clearance and accompanying housing programmes in addition to the expansive Education Act of 1918 and the Unemployment Insurance Act of 1919. There was no Geddes Axe in 1922 due to a somewhat better economic situation, which had some distinct long term consequences for both welfare and defence.
- The offhand reference to the shorter and lighter Great Depression was something of an Easter egg. There wasn't a return to the prewar gold standard in 1925 and the Anglo-Soviet conflict of the late 1920s lead to increased armaments spending, providing a small yet noticeable stimulus to certain industries. The government response to the Great Depression was rather Keynesian, involving extensive public works and defence spending, as gradual rearmament also began in response to the Japanese action in Manchuria from 1932. Broadly speaking, a milder slump between 1931 and 1934 resulted in some very different developments in interwar British politics, society, economics and popular culture.
- The different 'Giant Evils' of the Beveridge Report reflect one aspect of this, as does the platform of the Labour Party.
- Across the Atlantic, the two most consequential tidbits were the slower pace of the movement of African-Americans from the South to the North and the lack of Prohibition. The Second Great Migration from @ is happening, but is slightly less notable demographically due to the larger population. In 1960 historically, African Americans made up 20.6% of the population of the South, 3.9% of the West, 6.7% of the Midwest and 6.8% of the North East; on Dark Earth, those figures were 24% of the South, 2.8% of the West, 4.2% of the Midwest and 4.3% of the North East, which puts the situation somewhere equivalent to the mid-late 1940s. This has had and will continue to have some interesting social consequences. No Prohibition has a lot of consequences, such as less 'organized' organized crime, a lot of cultural differences, a thriving US wine industry, a surviving temperance movement, different development of stock car racing, no National Firearms Act of 1934 and a different evolution of the FBI just off the top of my head.
- Sam shows that he is less familiar with various aspects of American history by being confused about the National Origins Formula, which was still around in 1961 and was replaced by the 1965 law; he assumed that what was to him a very old fashioned system disappeared long before the idealised 1960s.
- Liberia has a larger population of Americo-Liberians from several waves of migration. It is a small but useful US ally.
- Kennedy's Secretary of Defence is not Robert McNamara, but Dr. Clark Savage.
- The global strategic situation is very complex and this will develop further as the story plays out.
- Sam's feeling as he enters the square is not just his imagination, but comes from a minor spell cast by the local wizard. It has no practical effect beyond making those who enter the celebratory area feel a little happier, like a emotional air conditioner.
- Public holidays in Britain are New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, Empire Day, Victory Day (August 25th), Harvest Thanksgiving, Trafalgar Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, along with the relevant patron saints days for England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Lyonesse.
- The Scandian Knights are one of many knightly orders with a long and illustrious history that maintain a military role in the modern period.
- American forces provide a major leap in capability for the defence of Scandinavia, allowing not only the reinforcement of Northern Norway, but also of Sweden and therefore of Finland.
- The new Soviet tank Bailey refers to is the T-64, a 50t second generation MBT armed with a 2A46 125mm main gun and protected by composite armour equivalent to ~24" of RHA against HEAT. The 6.9" gun is the M107 175mm, which has a substantially improved range.
- The Song of Arthur is one of the great epic poems of the English language and is often still performed, along with Beowulf, by bards. The bardic tradition has not died out and remains a small but interesting part of the culture of the British Isles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 am 

Never Had it So Good Part 15

They made their way through the square towards the village green, where a great fire had been stoked in its stone-lined pit and huge joints of pork and two barons of beef turned slowly on a long iron spit above the flames. An ingenious automatic contraption rotated next to it with no clear means of power, loaded with deep golden sausages, sizzling brown chops, steaming baked potatoes and glistening racks of meaty pork ribs, while a large black cauldron bubbled and hissed as a rather stout halfling busily pulled out wire baskets of crisply fried chicken from the gurgling fat. He must be the short order cook, Sam thought with a restrained chuckle.

“Looks alright, doesn’t it?” Simon said from beside him. “The boys are always pleased to be home when Master Goodfarthing cooks up his summer feasts. Now let’s strike while the griddle-iron is hot and get in before the rest of the crowd.”

Beating the gathering crowd that was already forming a long, sinuous queue at the lunch fire, they were handed cutlery and two wooden platters loaded with meat and potatoes and walked over to a nearby tree where Victoria and the children were already tucking into their meals.

“You certainly won’t go hungry today, Sam.” Bailey remarked as he sliced up his scarlet roast beef. The afternoon sun shone down through the leafy green boughs of the ash tree above them and a band had struck up a strangely familiar and catchy medieval melody from the other side of the green. A group of children were dancing about, waving bits of cloth, but most of the Ashfordians were following the example of the Baileys and settling down to their expansive luncheon. Sam nibbled thoughtfully on at the crispy crackling on his smoky roast pork rib and then set it down to respond.

“Or any day. It is quite astounding how much you people eat here.” He had been thinking about this for some time. It seemed fairly logical as to how and why there wasn’t a lot of obesity around, given the lack of processed foods and a lot more physical activity and walking, but the scale of it all was quite noteworthy.

“Is it really? I can’t say it seems that way to me. Don’t you have anything special on holidays?”

“It isn’t so much the holiday spread, which is big enough, but in general. I’ve only been here three days now and every one has been full of huge meals! There’s a fair bit more meat than my place as well.”

“I see. The meat conundrum is easy enough – we’ve always ate a lot of it for centuries now, what with the Roast Beef of Old England. Nowadays, it is seen as mark of being well off and comfortable – a mark of privilege, if you like. As to the size of our offerings at home, have you thought perhaps that we’re putting on a bit more as you are a guest and quite a special one at that? As well as the older children being back from school, mind you. They seem dedicated to eating us out of house and home.”

“I see.”

“Not to mention that many people have lived through world war and rationing twice over.” Victoria said quietly but clearly. “Lord Woolton spoke for a lot of us when he said after the war that Britain would never again let food become a weapon against her. So we increased domestic food production and supplies more than the rest of the free world and we enjoy the bounty of it.”

“Oh. That makes some sense.” Sam felt ever so slightly chastened.

“Now don’t take it as a criticism, my dear boy, merely an explanation. You’ve got good reason to have a lot on your mind and this is a bit of a different situation for you. I know what its like.” Simon paused very briefly. “I’ve travelled a lot, after all.”

“A lot of this stuff today seems rather more American – barbecued ribs and fried chicken.”

“Really? I’ve never thought of it like that; there was an old Oxford don speaking on the BBC a few weeks ago who said that quite a bit of our food history came down to the movement of different peoples through the ages, which seemed common sense. We’ve been roasting and smoking bits and pieces of pigs since Celtic times and the Vikings were rather fond of ribs according to a dragon I once met. The frying of chicken is a Scottish tradition that filtered south in the Tudor years, but the barbecue idea is an American one, or rather a West Indian one if I recall my history correctly.”

“It is a bit interesting that the West Indies are so important to Britain, based on what I’ve read. Back home, they were mainly a source of immigration to begin with.”

“Why?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why did they migrate from the West Indies? I can’t imagine it would be on account of the improved weather.”

“Britain had a big demand for labour and they wanted to escape poverty for a better life

“That is quite surprising. The Caribbean has been one of the richest areas of the Empire for a long time. They are the largest sugar exporter in the world, of course, as well as being major producers of coffee, tobacco, cocoa, tropical fruit, flowers, spices, medicinal herbs and the like, but over the last fifty years the emphasis has shifted to minerals as their mountains have been mined deer. The big four have been nickel, bauxite, oil and gold, although there is a goodly amount of shanarium in Jamaica.”

“What’s shanarium?”

“A very precious strategic metal, used for weapons, armour, aircraft engines, electronics, spaceships and a dozen other purposes, as well as being rare and shiny, which counts for a lot in this world. Anyway, suffice it to say that the West Indies are one of many sources of our wealth, as well as being rich in their own right and a wonderful place to live. Plenty of Yanks like to swan off to Jamaica, Cuba and Grand Dracaria for their summer vacations and more than a few Britons have moved there to live there; an old chum of mine has a simply marvelous estate on Oracabessa Bay. They are valuable for military manpower as well. The West India Corps ranks right up there with the Gurkhas and the Zulus and the Royal West Indian Marines would be important in the Atlantic in any future business.”

“You’ve certainly got a lot of different marine units going around, far more than us, but having a Royal Naval Division doesn’t seem to make sense.”

“Politics, Sam, politics – the most essential factor in any military calculations. The Andrew has a little bit more pull at Whitehall than the Women’s Auxiliary Balloon Service, the Royal Legion of Frontiersmen or the Imperial Camel Corps and wanted to show that it could play its part in the various brushfire wars around Africa and the Orient, which translates to getting one over on the Army and the RAF after any expansion of the Royal Marines was blocked. Rather silly to ignore the real enemy, though.”

“Who? The Russians?”

“No, they are just the opposition. The Treasury is the enemy!” Simon laughed hard at his own joke and Sam spared his bon mot a brief smile. “It is a bit much, though, given that we’ve had naval brigades in action over the last few years everywhere from Aqaba to the Congo, but nothing larger than that to merit a whole division, not that it actually is a field division. In many ways, we’re fighting the last war; we had to scrape the barrel back in ’56 to cover all of the Middle East flare ups. The Israelis have got a fair bit more of that taken care of now, which makes things simpler.”

“Israel being part of the British Empire is something new for me and reading about it on Saturday morning was quite the surprise.”

“Their army has earned a pretty big reputation since the war. They smashed the Turks around very badly in ’41 and gave the Nazis the same medicine in the big battles at the end. Five years ago, they mobilized fairly quickly and now they’re even stronger.”

“Doesn’t it make things difficult with the Arabs?”

Simon set aside his plate and looked thoughtfully at the rooftops across the green. The children had finished their vittles and ran off to play, leaving their parents to their own devices; it was important to give the adults their own time in order to build up their independence and ability to cope without the supervision of their youngers.

“Probably yes, although both sides have bigger fish to fry. The Arab kings are all fairly pragmatic fellows at the end of the day, we’ve got the Arab Legion and most of the hotheads found themselves rather dead in the late unpleasantness. As long as we remain dominant in the Near East, then all of the states there hold back from going at each other’s throats, but we serve as a nexus of every flavour of pent-up nationalist frustration and revolutionary ambition. Israel itself is quite an interesting case and not really as close to the Imperial bosom as the other Dominions, what with the differing religious and national backgrounds compared to Canada, Australia or South Africa, but they need a great and powerful friend and our interests have run in the same direction since Herzl and Chamberlain and the London Declaration.”

“So they are driven together in the face of an outside threat? That’s quite the opposite from back home – there, it was a proxy battlefield between the Americans and Soviets with Arab-Israeli wars every few years until the late 70s.”

“That doesn’t sound particularly nice. We haven’t had that sort of trouble in the Near East; the closest parallel would be the four wars we’ve had with the Ottomans there since 1914. They’ve had a bee in their turban over losing their empire for the last few generations, although it waxes and wanes according to which faction is dominant in the Sublime Porte. Hard fighters, the Turks, and jolly courageous to boot. Throw in the Soviet threat to the whole region and you can see why a strong Israeli Army is so valuable to us.”

“It is interesting that their armoured division already has Chieftains; their sale was cancelled in my place because of the political question.”

“Good gracious! They’ve got over 400 already and have at least another 2000 on order, both here and there. Whatever did they field instead?”

“A combination of Centurions, M48s and M60s, as well as their own domestic design from the late 70s.”

“I see. A bit of a mixed stew. The Chieftain isn’t the only bit of topline kit they’ve got in the pipeline here - as well as more TSR-2s and Lightnings for the RIAF, they’re on board with the Tornadoes, the Lions and the MACV.” Bailey began to wax enthusiastic, stabbing at the air with the remains of a drumstick as he listed off the various military projects.

“You lost me after Tornadoes.”

“Sorry, Sam, I tend to forget the gaps in your knowledge; it is easy to get carried away when I find someone who is interested in the area. The Lion is the new attack fighter Gloster is working on. It is a real beast of a plane, heavily armoured and packing a bally big autocannon and some nasty rockets; I dare say it will put the dander up the Russians. As for the MACV, picture the offspring of a light tank and an armoured carrier. They are the future and simply everyone worth their salt is working on one.”

“Ah, you mean like an infantry fighting vehicle! I thought you meant something to do with Vietnam.”

“Vietnam? That’s French turf, although a few others seem to be more and more interested in it these days. They seem to have it under control; our concerns lie elsewhere, in my view.”

“That was the first major war to be televised in ‘Australia’. Having the reality of the fighting in their living rooms changed the opinion of many people about the war.”

“Gosh. You’d think that parents would run a better show than that.”

“No, I mean seeing the footage of a modern war and its impact on people.”

“Ah, I catch your drift now, Sam. That simply wouldn’t happen here. There was a lot of television, film and newsreel coverage of Korea, Malaya and the Middle East War, but between the BBC and the Ministry of Information, it was all good, solid stuff that kept the home front behind the boys at the battle front.”

“Sounds like propaganda.”

“That’s because it is propaganda and proper propaganda at that; we can’t let the Russians or other foreign powers play at that game and not respond ourselves. Oh, there are always a few muckrakers and Red rabble rousers who try to drum up a flash story, but the former struggle to get into print and we have strong sedition laws for the latter. When it comes to the defence of the realm, we’re all in this together and the BBC is one of our best weapons.”

“You don’t have any other broadcasting stations then, do you?”

“No, it’s been proposed by some Conservatives a few times since the late 40s, but for every voice in support, there are a few others that criticize it as vulgar and too American; I probably lean towards the latter opinion myself, like Lord Reith. I prefer the wireless and television without any ghastly commercials for soap, tobacco, soap-flavoured tobacco or, heaven forfend, Coca-Cola. Do you still have that stuff?”

“Coke? I’ve seen it once or twice, I reckon.”

“Gah! I had the misfortune of drinking some once when I was on my way to Singapore. Sickly stuff. Thank goodness it is still on the other side of the pond.” The look on Bailey’s face as he remembered it was a bizarre cross between a man who had bitten into a lemon and a Greek tragic mask.

Sam successfully controlled the instinct to smile, although the strange buzzing sensation in the back of his head had made a brief return for some reason that escaped him. In his brief televisual forays over the weekend, he had began to notice the absence of advertising – not that he ever thought he would truly miss it – as well as the very different style of the programmes and films that had been shown. Their style was highly formal, highly patriotic and very traditional and there wasn’t any hint of anti-establishment satire or anything unconventional he had come to associate with the period from fruitful hours wasted on Youtube. He hadn’t heard or seen mention of the Goon Show, for that matter.

“Thinking of other places again?”

“Got it in one.”

“Try to hold onto the here and now. It helps a fair bit, or so I’m told.”

“Really?”

“Yes, an old friend of my father taught me that. Quite a clever old boffin he was, Professor Kirke. He had a wonderful old house down in Berkshire – that’s where we got the wardrobe that’s in your room, you know.” Simon set down his plate on the grass and got up gingerly to his feet. “Now, it is just about time for the entertainment and if I were to sit down any longer, I’d end up stiffer than an Icelandic shark.”

“Simon Bailey, can you kindly not remind me of that part of our honeymoon.” Victoria said in a chill tone, which swiftly thawed as she turned to Sam with a slight twinkle in her eye as she too got up. “We went on a liner across to Newfoundland that called in at Iceland and someone got it in his mind to try out kæstur hákarl, or fermented shark. Not very pleasant, to put it mildly.”

“Just an acquired taste, my dearest. I try to get up there once every six months or so, Sam. It got a bit harder for a while after a dispute over fishing waters, but that has all been fixed up now.”

They began to walk across to the other side of the green, where people were beginning to mill around the vaguely Indian bandstand beside the river. “That was the Cod War, wasn’t it?”

“Not a war, my dear fellow, a dispute with some tit-for-tat measures against civilian travel and existing fishing quotas. We sent up two frigate squadrons and they played around with the Icelandic fleet for a few months before King Sigurd was invited down for a little hunting trip at Balmoral and a fleet review at Scapa Flow. That always tends to put things in perspective. I’m glad it was sorted out with a minimum of fuss; our bases there are vital for control of the Western Approaches, even with the Floating Fortresses in place.”

“What are they?”

“The keys to the North Atlantic, or more precisely, four heavily armoured seadromes covering the middle of the ocean with planes, missiles, RDF and ASDIC. They should be all complete and in place by 1967 or so. Perfect solutions for a 1942 problem, albeit twenty five years late, but the Admiralty says that their air cover reduces our escort requirement for any future conflict by almost a quarter. Some others say they are…”

“Fighting the last war all over again?” Victoria remarked sweetly. “Remind you of anyone else?”

“Touché, darling.”

As they arrived at the bandstand, the bard was playing an entrancing and intricate melody on his harp that swelled majestically as it gradually quickened. All of the audience, men, women and children alike, stood entranced as it swept forth and fell back, swept forth and fell back. Then he began to speak his tale in a steady chant and as he did, tiny motes and sparks of light and colour began to spin forth from his fingers and the strings of the instrument, drawing in the mesmerized attention of his listeners.

Later on, Sam could not for the life of him remember any of the specific words and lines of the piece or how long it went for. It was as if he had been in a trance, captured in the rhythm and beauty of the words and music. Instead, he could conjure up vivid images of ancient war in a troubled land, of a wandering wizard and a mighty sword in a stone. If he closed his eyes, he could see him clearly - a young and valiant king holding the blade aloft before a kneeling crowd as the glorious sun blazed down through grey and broken clouds like veins of gold, bringing forth a memory light long lost. And, just as he had in the memorial service that morning, he felt a strange warmth in his breast.

It took some time afterwards for the feeling to fade and a proper grasp of reality to return, yet when it did, he was struck by a brief but intense longing to be in that wondrous moment once more. The remainder of the afternoon passed in something of a blur as the crowds gradually ebbed away home to prepare for normality on the morrow and eventually Sam and the Baileys followed as well, the children chatting and bubbling in excitement. Only after baths, tea and nightfall did he fully regain his senses, although he was only able to pick at his dinner of spinach soup, baked cod, cold roast beef and rhubarb crumble and he eschewed any thought of television in favour of an early bedtime.

As he lay in the gathering darkness, listening to the rustling of trees, the whispering of the wind through the hills and the distant bark of a dog, Sam Johnson gradually drifted off to sleep after this, the longest day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 am 

Chapter 15 Notes

- The strange medieval melody bears a very strong resemblance to the theme music to the 1975 television serial The Legend of Robin Hood.
- Food wise, Bailey is partially right about some of the history of the dishes he is consuming. The ribs are a distant cousin of the Norwegian dish of juleribbe (removed by around a thousand years), consisting of spare ribs, belly meat and crackling that is smoked and then crisply roasted. His belief that fried chicken has a Scottish origin comes from a common mistake stemming from Boswell and Johnson; earlier recipes from the first half of the 18th century can be found in Hannah Glasse's The Art of Cooker Made Plain and Easy (1747). In Dark Earth, this can be further traced back to the late Tudor period, but our characters are not necessarily gastronomical historians.
- Historically, there was a push for greater food self-sufficiency in postwar Britain, which is increased here with the greater availability of arable land in Ireland and Lyonesse. On the kitchen front, at least, the spectre of blockade has been almost entirely dispelled, but the overall threat and nature of future conflict has radically altered.
- The West Indies are rather better off and, for a variety of reasons, there hasn't been the same wave of Commonwealth and Imperial migration to Britain between 1945 and 1961, as discussed in the Imperial Almanac thread.
- Grand Dracaria is an island between Porto Rico and Hispaniola around the size of the former.
- The chum with an estate on Oracabessa Bay is Ian Fleming.
- The Royal Naval Division is more of a headquarters unit, with four naval brigades nominally on current strength, two cadre units at home and two deployed abroad.
- In the Middle East, things are different and muddled given the results of 1956, which will be detailed in due course. There isn't yet a vacuum to be filled.
- Sam should have included the Tornado in his list of the lost, as it is rather different here. It is a strike fighter based on an enlarged AFVG, accompanied by the larger Thunderbolt strike bomber, which is around the size and role of the FB-111G/H. The Lion is a British attack fighter based around European and Middle Eastern missions and the MACV is halfway between an FV432 and the FV510.
- The Ministry of Information and the BBC are very closely intertwined.
- No commercial television creates a fair few divergences, even if that state of affairs doesn't last forever.
- There is no Goon Show, among other developments.
- Professor Kirke and his wardrobe feature in other stories...
- The Cod Wars never quite take off given the differing power relationship between Iceland and Britain.
- The Floating Fortresses will lower escort requirements by more than 25%, but there is still a major gap between what is needed and the current inventory of active ships and new construction vessels; the frigates and destroyers in reserve are rapidly aging and will lose their utility against 1960s Soviet subs, both nuclear powered and conventional.
- We end on a note of something strange, with a few hints for the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:43 am 

Quote:
There is no Goon Show, among other developments.

Ah, Dark Earth is truly a dystopia then. Without the Goons so much comedy will probably never happen. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:17 am 

Not quite dystopic, on a number of levels.

Firstly, Sam has only been around over a long weekend and not heard any radio programmes on regular weekdays. Secondly, he has fallen into the trap of supposing that there is nothing similar that has emerged from a similar basis and roots as the Goon Show; even without the same circumstances as 1950s Britain in @, there is still a long tradition of absurdist humour. There isn't the basis for the same sort of avant-garde surrealism, given some fairly large cultural differences and evolution, but whatever develops will come from the line of Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear and be slightly less anarchic.

Something like the Goon Show is around and this will lead to descendants akin to The Goodies as culture develops - silly fun, but without the same degree of irreverence. Monty Python isn't a starter, given the lack of the satire boom and some of the social preconditions that lead to their emergence.

I'd contend that other trends and circumstances counterbalance the absence of certain comedic development, ranging from the eradication of numerous diseases, long lifespans, better general health and nutrition, less poverty and social deprivation, an earlier demise of direct racism, a better situation for the environment and many animal species, widespread social cohesion, the lack of a generation gap and some better fortunes in many parts of the world that had rather a wretched time in the Cold War.

The whole world is neither a utopia nor a dystopia, but has elements of good and bad that reflect its different circumstances. Never Had it So Good provides one means I like to explore that dichotomy, with Sam viewing things through our eyes and expectations; the title itself is ironic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:29 am 

In the next installment, Sam will encounter some different aspects of village and British life in a day at the fair, including some of the other sentient species. Some threads will begin to come together; if there are any features that people would like explored or detailed, then I'd be happy to oblige.

Bernard's earlier point did inspire me to reflect upon which television programmes of the 1950s, 60s and early 70s would or would not occur. Direct equivalents would be around in some cases, whereas others are less likely to occur. Here is a little list:

Yes
The Great War
Blue Peter
Dad's Army
University Challenge
Comedy Playhouse
The Forsyte Saga
Jeeves and Wooster
Dixon of Dock Green
Civilisation
This is Your Life
Match of the Day
The Benny Hill Show
The Two Ronnies
The Black and White Minstrel Show
Zoo Quest
The Sky at Night
African Patrol
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Adventures of William Tell
Sword of Freedom
Songs of Praise
The Good Old Days
World of Sport
Richard the Lionheart
Sir Francis Drake
An Age of Kings
The Sooty Show
Biggles
Play School
Danger Man

A British equivalent to The Big Picture

No
Doctor Who
Quatermass
Adam Adamant Lives
The Avengers

The first three wouldn't be made, even if the ideas were around, due to the important positions held by their eponymous characters. In the last case, divergent social mores point towards markedly different developments in the 1960s. There may well be some sort of series with a well-dressed secret agent and a female sidekick, but it won't be very similar.

The Prisoner
Apart from The Village existing, the general themes and plot would be too subversive to make it past the censors of the Ministry of Information

Z-Cars
Gritty social realism is not a favoured genre of the powers that be.

Beyond the Fringe
Monty Python
Fawlty Towers
One thing leads to another, or not, in this case. To expand in a non-facetious way, the lack of the same type of Goons, different social consequences stemming from the events of 1956 and the dearth of the satire boom and a loosening of restrictions stymie the growth of Python and their antecedents.

The War Game
Not a hope of being made, let along released later down the line.

Top of the Pops
Unlikely without the meteoric rise of pop music and associated youth culture.

Till Death Us Do Part
So many different factors make it unviable.

Maybe
Coronation Street

Some sort of version of Sherlock Holmes is possible, even if he is a living historical figure, as his adventures stretch back to the Victorian period and are quite famous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9