History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:03 am 

My scribbled ideas for 'The Lady May', the 'P for Pleistocene' sequel, went missing several years ago. Worse, a lot of the research ( Many, many downloads & web site links ) died with my ex-CAD tower.

I was leafing through some old spiral-bound note-books last night when a sheet of paper fell out of one. Unfolded, that had their 'Not in OUR Kansas any-more' scene. Better, it marked my draft opening and an outline for the early chapters !!

Be six months before I could hope to begin work on it, but that long-lost corner of my life has returned from 'Missing, Presumed.'

Speaking of which, I've also come across the first half of an off-beat tale, working title 'ClubShip LandFill'.

( Yet another 'wake, grabbing for notebook' dream, reverse-engineered, interpolated, extrapolated etc etc... ;) )

You know how 'Third World' countries love to hang weapon racks on their training aircraft and use them for ground-attack ??

Well, the clunky river-boat this pilot went hunting wasn't the 'sitting duck' it seemed...
:twisted:

Another discovery was that my old, old pair of NAS drives, unreadable by Win8, thought trashed by the Big Spring Crash, were actually okay. Though Windows refused to recognise them via the local network, their drive enclosures could also be accessed via USB. Now trailing an A-B cable the length of this desk, the twin drives appeared in moments, read well.

Bad news, given those NAS' slow access and my ex-CAD tower having all its C: MyFiles safely backed up on D:, I'd only archived my tales' text-files plus essential graphics & research. My wondrous Medieval-ish CAD stuff is still lost, lost, lost...
:cry:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:57 am 

Backup early and often.

I'm currently using two desktop external hard drives, one a 2TB mirrored raid, the other a 3TB single drive system. I'm also rotating two portable hard drives to my safety deposit box for off-site protection.

Post subject: Sick drives...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:37 pm 

Sadly, C: & D: in the CAD tower and C: in the 'Browser PC' --Which also failed !!-- were the same brand, model, age.

Lemons. Drove that maker from 'domestic' market.

I had to triage my data rescue, and the enormous CAD/3D directory pulled the short straw for 'Tail End Charlie'.
Didn't make it out...

Then, lots of what I did rescue was blown away by the Great Spring Crash.

Finding my Win8-compatible Seagate GoFlex could not restore to a different PC, had flattened my directory tree and renamed a zillion files as nnnnnn.PTL due poor software made me want to hurl. Added insult to injury when that drive collapsed because it NEVER went to stand-by, though set so !!

Current Synology DS215 is RAID, spends most of its time asleep...

Next PC's C: planned as SSD, with D: as RAID (mirror) twin HDD...

Attachment:
preparation limits.jpg
preparation limits.jpg [ 406.72 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 am 

Did *full* back-up of Nik_Files overnight...

270,284 files in 11,313 folders totalling 35+ GB !!

( I don't compress or zip files due error-recovery issues...)

One (1) file did not copy across as path name was too long...

Uh, how would you go about finding said needle in such hay-stack ??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:24 am 

Generate a list of full file paths and look for the longest one?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:03 am 

Nik_SpeakerToCats wrote:
My scribbled ideas for 'The Lady May', the 'P for Pleistocene' sequel, went missing several years ago. Worse, a lot of the research ( Many, many downloads & web site links ) died with my ex-CAD tower.

I was leafing through some old spiral-bound note-books last night when a sheet of paper fell out of one. Unfolded, that had their 'Not in OUR Kansas any-more' scene. Better, it marked my draft opening and an outline for the early chapters !!

Be six months before I could hope to begin work on it, but that long-lost corner of my life has returned from 'Missing, Presumed.'

Speaking of which, I've also come across the first half of an off-beat tale, working title 'ClubShip LandFill'.

( Yet another 'wake, grabbing for notebook' dream, reverse-engineered, interpolated, extrapolated etc etc... ;) )

You know how 'Third World' countries love to hang weapon racks on their training aircraft and use them for ground-attack ??

Well, the clunky river-boat this pilot went hunting wasn't the 'sitting duck' it seemed...
:twisted:

Another discovery was that my old, old pair of NAS drives, unreadable by Win8, thought trashed by the Big Spring Crash, were actually okay. Though Windows refused to recognise them via the local network, their drive enclosures could also be accessed via USB. Now trailing an A-B cable the length of this desk, the twin drives appeared in moments, read well.

Bad news, given those NAS' slow access and my ex-CAD tower having all its C: MyFiles safely backed up on D:, I'd only archived my tales' text-files plus essential graphics & research. My wondrous Medieval-ish CAD stuff is still lost, lost, lost...
:cry:

Great news! Did we (or will we?) ever see an ending to The Bus?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:02 am 

Nik_SpeakerToCats wrote:
Did *full* back-up of Nik_Files overnight...

270,284 files in 11,313 folders totalling 35+ GB !!

( I don't compress or zip files due error-recovery issues...)

One (1) file did not copy across as path name was too long...

Uh, how would you go about finding said needle in such hay-stack ??

Are you saving them as text files?

I believe Windows search can look through the contents of those for specific phrases. If not, there are almost certainly other utilities out there that can. Then start noting those directories and going through those files first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:15 am 

Nic, will we be seeing some continuation or conclusion to The Bus, at all?

Post subject: MoRe: The Bus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:00 pm 

I hope so.

I had half the next chapter written when I went down with 'flu, sending my wits off at a fevered tangent...

FWIW, digging through box-room shelves, I've found a USB-interfaced HDD. It's the one I used to take on holiday to Scotland. I wondered why it refused to play. Then I remembered. This drive enclosure held yet-another drive from that bad batch, died at remarkably low hours...

D'uh...
===

Hmm. I also found a big box of ZIP disks and their drive. Sadly, its parallel-port is not compatible with anything later than XP, so I may have to hit eBay for a USB version to see what I've cached...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:05 pm 

Moving stuff around, I came across an old slide-mount HDD at the back of a shelf.
Huh ?
Opened the tray, dug out my USB HDD IDE/SATA interface, plugged it in...

Yee-hah !!!
Seems I'd backed up a LOT of my CAD stuff from the 'new' CAD tower onto this slide-mount which had been C: in the 'old' CAD tower. Put it away, forgot...

A different make to the 'early expirers', it didn't die horribly...
As it wasn't on-line when that Spring storm trashed most of my hardware, it was unaffected...

So, I've serendipitously retrieved my very extensive, modular suite of Medieval-ish arches, merlons, buttresses, doorways etc etc etc up to mid-2005. Happens that's most of the set.

They're 3DS format for accessibility, plus .TCW for TurboCAD editing. Their carefully crafted 'cookie cutters' and 'moulds' have survived, too.
Attachment:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg [ 58.48 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]

Attachment:
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg [ 64.4 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]

Attachment:
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg [ 55.26 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]

I could cry...

Post subject: I could cry...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:13 am 

You've seen the piccies, so I've *proof* those arch & door files existed a week ago.

Now I can't find their mesh-files in the twisty, twisty labyrinth of the folder tree...

And, yes, I've looked in the recycle bin, am currently scouring the slide-mount drive again...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:55 am 

Bbbbbut... get the Lady May written :D

And I am still on tenterhooks about the band and crew in "The Bus"!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:22 pm 

I actually took a year's subscription to 'Practical Boat Owner', but most are still in their wrappers. Bought a 'Special' on restoring a near-wreck. And I already had a foot of library shelf with yachty books, knots, small-boat handling etc etc...

Long, long ago and far, far away, I had wild-fun getting a 'Limited Day-Boat' certificate tacking and gybing around the old end of Holyhead harbour. Learned in Scimitar open keel-boats & Wayfarer dinghies, staid but reliable. No trapeze stuff. No racing. Problem was the COLD Irish Sea water, even in High Summer. Line handling meant numb hands. Capsize drill was instant hypothermia...

Uh, these days, you go down to the chandlers, get a wet-suit off-the-peg. Then, you had to 'roll your own', make and cut the pattern, bond the seams etc etc. And dry-suits were exotica...

Brrr....

==

Have found those arch & door files again. Yes, they were waaay down a maze of twisty little folders.
Thought I'd accidentally over-written or deleted their directory.
But...
I remembered I'd posted a couple to a 'freebie' site. They still had them, almost a decade later. Down-loading those files gave me the original file-name pattern, which even Windows could locate eventually...

Phew.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:01 am 

Thought to re-install the old turboCAD 9 (Pro) I used to craft most of those arches etc. Program went into x86 okay, then tried to 'phone home' to register. You guessed it, '404'. New registration system, not compatible with such legacy software. And, the company are NOT interested in supporting such legacy software. Now, if it was a $10 version, I'd sympathise, but I had the full, top-end 'Pro' package, complete with a hefty, hard-copy manual...

And, yes, even if 'Pro', v9 was much, much too old to qualify for a discounted upgrade. Gotta buy new. Which would totally blow my software budget...

When I'd finished spittin' a flock of turkey feathers, I hit Amazon for a 'recent' turboCAD 2D/3D v20.

Including postage, $15. Yep, $15. If it works, it works. If not, it qualifies for that discounted upgrade...

Also, even this 'home' version includes a reportedly-nifty suite of architectural tools. Crude & clunky in v9, they have grown up. Better, they would replace the bloat-choked 'FloorPlan' program I also ran. The current versions of that, re-coded and called 'turboFloorPlan', are priced by floor level count; for my high-piled Medieval-ish plan, I'd have to get the 'super-Pro' package. Oh, and despite nearly five years of promises to us FP users, tFP is NOT back-compatible. Honest !! Better to try the turboCAD, with it's nigh unlimited layers...

Aren't computers wonderful ??