History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:54 pm 
SAC-trained killer

jemhouston wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
That was . . . not the Klingon tavern I was expecting . . .

No one expects a Klingon Tavern. :lol:

You can't really appreciate Python until you've heard it in the original Klingon.

Mike

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:40 pm 

There was much less drinking, shouting, singing, good-natured gallows humor and ass grabbing than the last Klingon house party . . .

Phryne: Fancy that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 am 
SAC-trained killer

...The barkeep brought over a bloodwine for Maltz, and he and Kruge sipped their cups for a moment, while the others in the bar went back to looking everywhere but at them. It was Maltz who finally broke the silence.

“I could say no.”

Kruge contemplated that briefly. “You could. You’d also not live long enough to tell anyone about it. I have no illusions about you, Maltz. If you thought you could get your honor returned by handing me over to the high command, you would do so without a second’s hesitation. But you know the Genesis Torpedo - at least as well as any living warrior; I have no idea why my brother would have killed the Lady Valkyris for her knowledge and let you live, but it matters not. You have a reason to live…to be victorious.”

“Your trust in me is touching.”

“Thank you.”

Silence, then Maltz put down his cup. “Assuming I agree - and assuming I don’t simply decide to see just how quickly I can kill you in any event - what benefit do I derive from your little conspiracy?”

“When I become Chancellor -”

Maltz snorted. “Gre’thor will freeze over long, long before that.”

“Not if I have the Genesis Torpedo.”

Maltz caught his breath slightly at that, and a shadow passed over a face already deep within others. “None exist, and the plans for one are gone as well -”

“No. The Federation battlecruiser that killed my brother still exists; it was not destroyed on the Genesis planet as was believed. Its computer core is still intact; the plans are assuredly still on it.”

“And you know this how?”

“Friends.”

“You have none.”

“More than you.”

Maltz’ lip twitched, revealing a sharpened incisor. “Have a care, Lord Kruge.” More bloodwine, then, “So, let us assume that your…’friends’…actually know what they’re talking about, that the plans for the Genesis torpedo are in there. How long will it take you to fabricate one?”

“A few weeks at most, and more than one. I have already assembled the needed materials and manpower at a…remote location. Once I have it, we shall return to the Home World, and make our demands.”

“Which are?”

Kruge sipped, and shrugged his shoulders. “My immediate appointment as Chancellor. Or…what is the human expression…’shogun’. Yes, that’s it.” Maltz looked quizzically at Kruge, who replied, “A warlord who holds power while a figurehead sits on the throne. That, in the end, may be the better option, but I can afford to be flexible.”

“So very understanding of you. It does not end there, of course.”

“Of course. Once I have reorganized the upper levels of fleet command, we go to war against the Federation. After you have had your honor restored and been put in your rightful place as a senior Fleet commander.”

Maltz took a swallow of bloodwine. “And of course, the Federations will see the wisdom of your point of view, roll over like a targ wanting its belly scratched, and then submit to the rule of the Empire. My Kahless, you are a genius.”

“Of course not. My brother may have been a strategic idiot, but I am not. Every ship and every warrior we have could never physically conquer and occupy the Federation, but we do not have to. I have seen the contingency plans, Maltz - we can most assuredly take a sufficiently large portion of their space to make it prohibitively costly to recapture.”

Maltz lifted one eyebrow. “And you are sure they will cooperate with your strategic vision? If I remember correctly, the humans alone have a history littered with would-be conquerors who thought they had the final solution.”

“The humans have a weakness right now - they are politically divided over going to war with us. And a good proportion of them believe in peace at any price - most reasonably, the ones closest to our forces. Give them power - or at least the illusion of power - in the occupied zones, let them know that all they need do is obey us.”

“And of course, if they need any convincing, you can demonstrate the Genesis Torpedo.”

“Of course.”

“And when you run out of torpedoes?”

“We will not. The Federations in the occupied zones will submit immediately, and those in Federation Prime will see the wisdom of…cooperation.”

“And when they rebuild the torpedo?”

“They will not. They are unable to conceive of mutually assured destruction. They are unable to bring themselves to understand death with honor instead of submission. We will win. We will prevail.”

Maltz considered this as he threw back what remained of the bloodwine. “Tell me this, conqueror. Who else supports you? How many ships will flock to your banner when you proclaim yourself conqueror?”

Kruge smirked at that, then replied, “Look at those who seek the Chancellor’s throne right now. Bureaucrats…businessmen…not a single warrior among them, though they literally trip over themselves to gain our favor. I command the finest ship with the finest crew in the fleet, and I want nothing less than a Klingon empire that rules what it is entitled to rule. I need not seek followers - they shall seek ME.”

Pause. “You’re quite mad, you know.”

“It is said that if one knows one is mad…then one is not truly mad.”

Before Maltz could reply, Kruge’s communicator buzzed. That annoyed him; he had given K’voch strict orders not to disturb him. It was with more than the usual irritation that Kruge snapped open the communicator and snarled, “Speak.”

“K’voch. There is a complication.”

That, of course, justified the call. “Understood,” Kruge said. “How long until you can beam me up?”

“Twelve tup.”

“Make it happen. I will be alone on this pickup. Out.”

Kruge tucked the communicator away, and turned back to Maltz. “As fascinating as I have found our little debate, my time grows short. Join or die.”

“When you put it so politely, how can I refuse?”

“A wise choice.”

Maltz leaned in, almost nose to nose with Kruge. “However, understand this, my Head of House Lord Kruge - I want my honor back, and I intend to get it. If for even a moment I believe you will betray me, I will take you as my bodyguard to Gre’thor.”

Kruge did not even blink, and for the first time in years, Maltz saw honor in another warrior’s eyes. “If we fail, it will be an honor to go to Gre’thor.” Kruge extended his hand, and they shook. With that, Kruge rose, saying, “ Ready yourself for transport. It may be a few rep yet, but be prepared for my call.”

“We shall.”

Kruge almost did a double take. “ ‘We’ ?”

Maltz nodded amicably. “These men and I share a bond - we are discommended, and through our brotherhood we have survived. I shall not desert them, nor them me.”

Kruge thought for a moment, then said, “Done - on the same conditions as yourself.”

There was no nod, no murmur of assent, just the crash of leather and armor as Maltz and his men came to attention and saluted, and Maltz said, “We declare our faith and allegiance to House Kruge.

“On our honor.”

To Be Continued…..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6NjYsoHkug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 pm 

Root beer is vile. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:05 pm 

Kruge does not know humans very well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:12 pm 

Bernard Woolley wrote:
Root beer is vile. :lol:

Too sweet . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:50 pm 

I tried it once in Florida under the mistaken assumption that it might be what Americans called ginger beer. Never again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:04 pm 

Bernard Woolley wrote:
I tried it once in Florida under the mistaken assumption that it might be what Americans called ginger beer. Never again!

Yeah, no, different things entirely.

Pour some cheap alcohol in to balance the sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:37 pm 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Bernard Woolley wrote:

Yeah, no, different things entirely.

Pour some cheap alcohol in to balance the sweet.

Put some ice cream in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:31 pm 

Bernard Woolley wrote:

Remember what Garak called it. Sweet, cloying... insidious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:42 pm 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Not even a little
Since when pushed, we, can and WILL do things what would make a Klingon scream for mommy

Genocide? Check. Want some? Coming up. Any flavour preference?? :twisted:

No, he knows nothing about Humans

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:11 pm 
SAC-trained killer

KenH wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Not even a little
Since when pushed, we, can and WILL do things what would make a Klingon scream for mommy

Genocide? Check. Want some? Coming up. Any flavour preference?? :twisted:

No, he knows nothing about Humans

As I remember, his older brother had less-than-well-grounded ideas about them as well. :D

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:10 pm 

Except Kirk gave him instruction on what happens when you tick off humans. And he did get grounded right after that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:21 pm 

jemhouston wrote:
Except Kirk gave him instruction on what happens when you tick off humans. And he did get grounded right after that.

No, Kirk killed Kruge.

Kirk gave Maltz instruction in not underestimating humans, and that humans are well aware there are fates worse than death for Klingons - and will be quite willing to inflict them. I'll kill you later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:15 am 

jemhouston wrote:

I thought the ground got him ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:52 pm 

The ACTUAL fall might have, but being incinerated in molten lava sorta ends any arguments
Getting his face bashed in first, was a pure bonus :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:17 am 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Some of his reasoning made me think of the Japanese rationalisations for going to war with USA.

Discovery Channel's rocket scientist:
"A rocket has to be versatile and cost-effective: it must be designed specifically for the task at hand."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am 
SAC-trained killer

pengolodh_sc wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Some of his reasoning made me think of the Japanese rationalisations for going to war with USA.

"This has all happened before...."

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 am 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
pengolodh_sc wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

"This has all happened before...."

Mike

AND TURN OFF THAT FRAKKING MUSIC!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next