History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 pm 

Well, we'll see how this goes...

-------------------------------------------------
The Night Watch

Prologue

He looked up from his console and stared at the three people that hustled onto the bridge. Two of them he’d sent off to figure out just what the hell was going on some...ten minutes ago. Had it only been ten minutes?
He could tell by the look on their faces that they weren’t about to tell him anything he’d much like to hear. The third one, well, who knew what that stone face meant. Macos. Always that look.

“So? How bad is it?” Might as well tell me now before it gets worse Lieutenant Wilsk thought to himself.
“Deck five, it’s gone.” said the andorian ensign to the right.
“Th’tavar? What do you mean by gone?” Don’t say it. Please don’t say it.
“Sir” The other ensign spoke.
“V’lok.” said Wilsk curtly. He was loosing patience now.
“The primary plasma conduits suffered a cascading failure throughout the deck. Approximately three quarters of deck five is currently exposed to space.” V’lok continued. “The forward most section by the cafeteria and the aft most one adjacent to the engineering spaces are both pressurized. For the time being”, he added.

Wilsk sat silent for a moment as he tried to face what he had feared but hadn’t wanted to believe.
“The captain?” he said quietly after what felt like an eternity.
“We believe he was in his quarters on deck five at the time of the venting.” Th’tavar again. “We went through the casualties in the mess hall. We couldn’t find any of the senior officers or chiefs there. Chief Nikka is in engineering but he’s the only one. Except you Sir.”

Except me. Even though Wilsk had just gotten the worst news of his career he couldn’t help but feel a bit of relief that Chief Nikka was alive as well, at least someone competent who could take charge of the damage control effort.
Dammit! He swore to himself, if he could get his hands on whoever genius who thought it was a good idea to put the senior officers and chiefs quarters on the same deck... He stopped himself. No time for that now.

“Okay.” Wilsk stood up with a sudden determination. “Computer, list Captain Hernandez and First Officer Seeger as missing in action. Second officer Wilsk acting in command.”
“Acknowledge. Awaiting command code authorization.” the soft female voice of the computer immediately prompted.
“Wilsk pi-gamma-24-45. Authorize command code transfer.”
“V’lok alpha-psi-95-11. Confirm.” V’lok. He hadn’t thought of it but the vulcan was right - naturally - he was second in line of seniority with the remaining command staff gone. He was right, but a brief realization flickered through Wilsk’s thoughts, just as the computer verified that he was now officially in command, that he didn’t like how V’lok had assumed like that.
But it passed. Couldn’t worry about little things. He had to take charge now.

“V’lok, coordinate with Chief Nikka and try to get as complete of a damage report as possible. I want options. What we can do, not what we can’t. Ten minutes.” As Wilsk finished his last syllable V’lok nodded and quickly walked out through the bridge door.
“Th’tavar...” but he didn’t have time to say anything else Th’tavar interrupted him. “Sir, what if they come back? We should prioritize getting weapons back online. Shields!”
Wilsk paused and looked at the andorian. He hadn’t seen him like this before. He was young, Competent, but young.
“Ensign.” Wilsk began this time, stressing the younger officer’s rank a bit more than was usual. “We don’t even know who“they” are. Right now the only thing I do know is that the first battle - if you can call it that when we didn’t fire back - with them lasted all of twenty-two seconds with our shields up and this is the result!” He waved with his left arm in a wide arc towards the bridge displays. Half of them black, the rest showing a great deal more bright red than usual. Cool it. Can’t afford to get worked up.
“Once I get a report from V’lok we can start thinking about prioritizing.” He continued in a calmer tone. “Right now I imagine the damage control parties have their hands full just keeping us in one piece.” He paused again.
“What I need from you right now is an analysis of what they hit us with, and if there’s anything we can do to mitigate its effects.” Get him working. He’ll settle down once he gets into his routine.
Th’tavar looked as if he was going to say something, then nodded and went to the tactical station.

“Captain.” He’d almost forgotten about the Maco. Wilsk winced at the Staff Sergeant using the honorific. “Please. Not yet.” Captain Hernandez was only missing yet after all.
“Lieutenant then.” The Maco still had the same look on his face. As if unmoved by everything around him. Combat vet, Wilsk remembered, he was probably in his routine now. Anson. Wilsk read it from his name tag, he hadn’t had time to memorize his name yet. He'd remember it now.

Anson continued. “Lieutenant Marks is among the missing.”
Of course, the Maco lieutenant had been given a courtesy cabin by the Starfleet officers' quarters when the Macos borded. But so had the platoon sergeant....
Before he could finish the thought Anson spoke again. “I prefer to bunk with my troops.” As if he’d known what Wilsk was thinking.
He continued. “Your doctor and nurse are among the missing. Unfortunately your sickbay is on deck five as well.” This, Wilsk had already realized.
“Yes?”
“My Maco nurse and corpsmen have established a makeshift aid station in the mess hall. One of the few good pieces of news is that most of the serious injuries are plasma burns and we carry a fair amount of medical kit for those among the platoon gear.”

Wilsk realized that he’d hardly thought about the wounded after he’d gotten the word that the captain and first officer wasn’t among them. He brushed off the sudden feeling of guilt.
“Good. You’re in charge of that.” Then he hesitated. He was the only one with any real experience apart from Chief Nikka .“Sergeant” he said much more quietly “We need to keep the crew together now. Keep them busy. If they slow down before they find their footing again...”
Anson nodded, “Understood, I’ll make sure everyone has something to do.” Then he too turned and walked out the bridge door.

Wilsk took a few steps over to the captains chair, sat down and after hesitating for a moment pressed the button for the shipwide.
“This is Second Officer Wilsk. As you probably have already realized many of your shipmates are injured or missing. Among them are Captain Hernandez and First Officer Seeger. As a result I have temporarily assumed command of the Black Prince. We will know more of the state she’s in shortly as we complete damage assessments.
At this time we don’t know who attacked us. I will keep you updated as information becomes available. Until then you are to continue to carry out your duties to the best of your abilities.
Wilsk out.”
He'd never been good at speeches.

He didn't have time to ponder that for long as he saw Th’tavar look up with a concerned expression. “We’ve lost contact with Starbase 278.”
Had the comm array been damaged as well?
The ensign continued, “Subspace communications are up, we can reach the transponder buoys at the outer edge of the system the Starbase is in but we can no longer reach the base itself.”
“Did we get a reply to our distress call?” Wilsk asked, supressing a sense that this day for all the horrors it had already brought might just get worse still.
“’Acknowledge message. Stand by.’ then nothing.”

Wilsk exhaled, not too loudly he hoped.
“Ensign, have you been able to plot the course of the...them, that attacked us?”
Now Th’tavar looked positively distraught.
“Sir...as far as I can tell...it moved in the approximate direction of Starbase 278.” He fell silent.

Crap. Crap crap crap.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 pm 

Find a dark corner of the universe and fix your ship.

Praying will help

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm 

Great job, looking forward to the next part.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 am 
SAC-trained killer

...Very well done - please press on!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am 
Mockingbird

This reads like the kind of story where the last line is "And then they all died"

Looking forward to more!

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:30 pm 

There's a Classic SciFi tale from longer ago than I first realised, 'We All Died At BreakAway Station'...

IIRC, it was a novella subsequently grown to a haunting book. It is one of the very few books that make me cry when I read it...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I hope to have some more stuff up fairly soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:49 pm 

Chapter 1

Warp core diagnostics station, Black Prince

“Chief...” V’lok began before being interrupted by Nikka.
“All right, let’s go.”
V’lok looked sceptically at the Chief as he handed the measuring instrument he had been using to a nearby junior crewmember.
Then he grabbed his coffee cup and growled “Well? What are you waiting for?”

V’lok didn’t say anything at first. He’d tried to get the Chief to come with him to the bridge for several minutes now. The Captain’s deadline had come and gone and had V’lok been subject to human emotions he might have felt frustrated. Frustrated over the Chief first insisting that he had to accompany V’lok to the bridge to deliver the damage report, then in the next breath stating that he couldn’t leave just yet.

The Chief motioned with the coffee cup and V’lok started to walk.
“I believe the hot beverage dispensers are non-functional at this time.” V’lok had decided that he needed to say something, the humans were so fond of this small talk as they called it. He immediately regretted his decision as the Chief abruptly stopped.

“So you think just because I can’t get any coffee to put in my cup I shouldn’t bring it with me?”
Nikka looked him in the eyes and raised an eyebrow.
“I do not see the logic in it.” V’lok stated cautiously, increasingly aware that the ten minutes the Captain had given him to return with a damage report had creeped towards twenty.
“Well then my dear ensign. Allow me to explain the logic behind it.” The Chief held up the cup and twirled it in the glow of the battle lanterns. Double walled steel, once polished but now scratched and dented to the point that most people would have disposed of it and gotten a new one long ago.
“This” he continued, “is not just a coffee cup. This is a reminder that no matter how beat up something gets it can still be useful. It isn’t pretty but it gets the job done.”
He suddenly got a grim expression on his face. “Right now I need that reminder.” Then he continued walking as abruptly as he had stopped.

Humans. V’lok thought to himself.

Bridge, Black Prince.

Wilsk looked up as the doors opened. He had figured that V’lok had a good reason to be late so he hadn’t bothered trying to reach him on the comms. Lord knows he’d had enough to keep him busy on the bridge anyway.
Nikka. That he hadn’t expected, he’d assumed that the Chief would be barking orders at damage control parties for hours still.
He had time to think that perhaps this meant good news before the Chief snatched away that hope from him.
“Right” he began, “We have to make a choice.”
“Go on.” Wilsk braced himself. Whatever was about to come he was starting to suspect that he wasn’t going to like it.
“I can get us to warp. Say...two hours of work.”
Not too bad.
“Okay, and the choices?” Wilsk was sure he wasn’t going to like this now.
“I'll need to get main power online.” Nikka walked over to the cross section of the ship that was displayed on one side of the bridge.
“As far as I can make out all plasma conduits that were operating at anywhere near full capacity when...whatever that was, hit us are damaged. The ones on deck five took the brunt of the surge but the rest have damaged control units even though the conduits themselves are intact.”

He paused. “I don’t have enough spares. Not when the damage is this widespread.”.
Nikka started to point to the image of the ship which had parts of it highlighted in amber, and deck five in a bright red.
“I can get one of the two main subgrids up and running if I cut a few corners. Propulsion or...tactical.”
Dead in the water and able to shoot or able to move and be defenseless. What a choice.

Wilsk noted in the corner of his eye that Th’tavar had sat up straight when he’d heard this. I can imagine what he’d pick.
“We need to get to Starbase 278 as soon as possible. They may be in need of assistance.” He ignored the puzzled look he got from Nikka.
“Anything else?” he prompted.
The Chief shook his head. “V’lok can fill you in on the rest.”
“Right then, two hours. I’m going to hold you to that.” Wilsk thought he saw a slight smirk before the Chief said “Sir!” and banged his coffee cup twice on the bulkhead as he walked out of the bridge.
Coffee cup?

Th’tavar looked less than pleased but it wasn’t the objection Wilsk was expecting that came when he started to speak.
“Sir, I think I know why the battle was so brief. Why they didn’t finish us off.”
This ought to be good.
The andorian continued, “I believe the enemy...vessel emerged from a type of portal.”
Portal? “A wormhole?” They should have gotten more advance warning of that than mere seconds Wilsk thought.
“No, not that. I’m actually not sure what it was but it appeared suddenly and something came through. Very fast.”
Th’tavar started to look a bit nervous.
“The sensors were flickering in and out after the plasma conduits were damaged but I think it was gradually slowing. From transwarp speed.”
Transwarp?
The ensign firmed up, no turning back now.
“Sir I believe the vessel didn’t stay to finish us off because it couldn’t. The deceleration process was slow and the initial speed it was travelling at was so great that the window of time during which it could reach us was over in a matter of seconds. It could only get one shot off before it was out of range.”
He fell silent.

Wilsk pondered this for a moment. It made sense, at least as much sense as anything else right now.

V’lok suddenly spoke. “Captain, I took a moment to view the energy readings that were recorded in engineering control immediately prior to the overload of the plasma conduits.” Again with the title.
Wilsk ignored it this time. “Anything useful?”
“I believe so. They were erratic, across the spectrum and did not have any discernable pattern to them.” How’s that useful?
“Most energy weapons are designed to achieve a predictable, repeatable effect. One emitting energy of this randomized, unstructured nature would be unlikely to do so.”
Wilsk thought he heard V’lok stress ‘unstructured’ a bit more than the rest. Vulcans.

“Are you saying it wasn’t a weapon?” Get to the point.
V’lok raised an eyebrow. “Not at all Captain. It was most certainly a weapon. I am suggesting that it was a malfunctioning weapon.”
Oh great. I don’t want to know what kind of damage it can do once they’ve fixed it.

Then V’lok looked at Th’tavar. “I believe the tactical officer and I should conduct a joint analysis. We have two indications that the vessel is experiencing difficulties to some degree. The slow deceleration and the malfunctioning weapon. If we are able to verify this we may be able to translate it into a tactical advantage.”
This got the andorian’s attention and he quickly nodded in agreement.

“Very well.”
Wilsk leaned back in the chair and watched the mismatched couple get to work. Still no reply from Starfleet Command. That was the first thing he had done when he the realization dawned on him that things had gone from bad to worse.
Sent them a message with priority CRITIC and after a brief hesitation he had included a THREAT LEVEL: OMEGA-ONE as well. If that didn’t wake the brass up he didn’t know what would.
Omega-one. The Starfleet code for a previously unknown hostile with what his command course teacher had once jokingly described as ‘god like powers’.
He suspected that the big shots hadn’t expected that a lowly Lieutenant would be the first to use it for real though.

Wilsk felt tired. He looked at the chronometer. His night shift wouldn’t even have been over yet had this been a night like all the others. One where he got to train the most junior bridge crew members the way he felt like it.
He’d volunteered to Captain Hernandez a couple of years ago when he first came aboard.
Let me have most of the nights, he’d said. I’ll be able to train the rookies and do my paperwork at the same time.
Hernandez had agreed, why wouldn’t he? With the more experienced Wilsk on the bridge the chances of him being woken up in the middle of the night by a nervous fresh watchstanding officer with a question was dramatically reduced.

And so Wilsk got his own kingdom where he reigned supreme. But now his Night Watch was all that was left.
He stopped himself. No point in going down that path.

Right. What’s next?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 pm 

he's made a good start. He's listen to his people and made a plan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 pm 

Is this Mikeyverse II: Electric Boogaloo?

Do the villains sound Swedish?

With engineering spaces on deck five, is she just a saucer and engines, or a primary/secondary hull configuration?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 pm 

Someone mention a starships night crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

Featuring two actual Enterprise Captains.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:53 am 

Mmmmm, I'm liking this!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am 
SAC-trained killer

...The bit about the coffee cup is PERFECT. Press on!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 am 

jemhouston:
Might be that he'll need his good start.

Johnnie Lyle:
1. I think you're doing the glorious Mikeyverse a disservice by comparing this to it. This is comparatively a speck of dirt. ;)

2. Not quite. But yes, or wait... 8-)

3. There is no secondary hull. The Black Prince is a fairly small, compact design. A rough analogue would be a larger, older version of the Enterprise-E's Captain's yacht.

Jimbeamer5:
That's disturbing. :) But pretty funny. :lol:

Craiglxviii:
Thanks man! :D

MikeKozlowski:
Thank you very much. There's a possibility that that's not the last we'll see of that coffee cup. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:22 am 

Micael wrote:
jemhouston:

Johnnie Lyle:
1. I think you're doing the glorious Mikeyverse a disservice by comparing this to it. This is comparatively a speck of dirt. ;)

3. There is no secondary hull. The Black Prince is a fairly small, compact design. A rough analogue would be a larger, older version of the Enterprise-E's Captain's yacht.

Jimbeamer5:

Craiglxviii:

MikeKozlowski:
Thank you very much. There's a possibility that that's not the last we'll see of that coffee cup. ;)

YAVW!

The coffee cup needs to become a set piece all of its own- nay, a character. It's quite likely that it has either (if the ship is old) served every Senior Chief aboard for the life of the ship, or been in the Senior Chief's family going back to the days of the old Earth wet navy............

If we're getting all Trek here, we do need to know what ship type the Black Prince is. 5 decks implies a saucer-and-nacelle-only design of some sort, perhaps a frigate (FFG if we're staying with the SFB-theme of the Mikeyverse?) sooooooooooo pics or we don't believe you :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 am 

1) Brilliant story so far.

2) Whats the Mikeyverse?

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 am 

Andy L wrote:
2) Whats the Mikeyverse?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20413

enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 am 

When I searched for Star Trek Frigate, this was one that popped up
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/19 ... eptor1.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Micael wrote:
jemhouston:

Johnnie Lyle:

Jimbeamer5:

Craiglxviii:

MikeKozlowski:

YAVW!

The coffee cup needs to become a set piece all of its own- nay, a character. It's quite likely that it has either (if the ship is old) served every Senior Chief aboard for the life of the ship, or been in the Senior Chief's family going back to the days of the old Earth wet navy............

If we're getting all Trek here, we do need to know what ship type the Black Prince is. 5 decks implies a saucer-and-nacelle-only design of some sort, perhaps a frigate (FFG if we're staying with the SFB-theme of the Mikeyverse?) sooooooooooo pics or we don't believe you :D

Heavy war destroyer:

Perfect for these kinds of missions.

Though a TOS-style Miranda has a certain swagger:

Attachments:
GT1bj.jpg
GT1bj.jpg [ 387.18 KiB | Viewed 402 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am 

Micael wrote:
Johnnie Lyle:

It has the same gritty edge of space feel to it as Mikey's POSEIDON scenes.

Great, rampaging space Danes. Just what we need :p