History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am 

Micael wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Huzzah! More!

And of course Klingon great houses have patches. They are the Dan Draper of advertising. What's the point of being a great warrior if nobody knows who you are?

Yup, got to build that brand up. ;)

Phryne: Fancy that.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:05 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:
Interesting isn't it that the saucer remains pretty much standard across the DD- DW- NCL- NCA- CA range... from memory the DN saw a much deeper saucer.

The same way all Klingon ships have that long neck.

At least in the description of the NCA, the NCA and NCL explicitly use the same saucer. It makes sense from a mass production standpoint.

But... that neck was only shared between D6 and D7. Other ships had the feature but used different structures. It worked for them, sure, but they can't have achieved the same economies of scale that the UFP did.

The Bird of Prey. One basic design, scaled up to allow . . . . erm . . . . cheap editing, and mass production of . . . um . . . . stock footage.

Key war work, dontcha know? Hmm? What?

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
jemhouston wrote:
I dug out m copy Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology, the chapter on Warp 4 Cruiser USS Tritium, it had three nacelles and failed because of it.

Not many three shaft ships worked, so I'm wondering how they work on star ships?

Loads for Trek at least in SFB. All the Dreadnoughts are 3 nacelle; Klingon B and C series battleships/ heavy battlecruisers are; many Romulan modular cruisers are; Kzinti frigates are (actually I sometimes lose count of how many warp engines Kzinti ships have). Certainly 3- nacelle designs work.

My understanding it was wasn't the number of nacelles but the number of warp assemblies. Post 1701B, all Enterprises have two assemblies per nacelle. Therefore a smaller ship could have two assemblies but only one nacelle. Its an odd number of warp assemblies which causes warpfield problems, not an odd number of nacelles. Is this right? (Roddenberry stipulated an even-number of warp drives, and later modelmakers got round that by re-interpreting what the 'warp-drive' bit actually was - it was the bright fiery swirly thing at the front of the nacelle. 1701D has two bright fiery swirly things in the front of each nacelle, so that would mean four warp assemblies)

Maybe 'swirly' would become shorthand amongst Starfleet's engineers for a warp assembly? ("Captan, Ah cannae garantee full powerrrrrr on swirly two, I'll have tae take the mains off line")

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 am 

Chapter 5

Shuttle One.

Chief Nikka couldn’t say that he was particularly happy being pressed hard against the side bulkhead of the shuttle’s rear bay but it also didn’t bother him all that much. At least the suits created a bit of space between him and the group of Macos blocking his view in every other direction.
There was enough space in the bay to fit them all but the Sergeant had made everyone except for one squad push as far into the bay as possible, the squad that was left would be the first one through the airlock to the Starbase and they needed room to move he’d said.

So here Nikka was, two corpsmen to his left and the Sergeant himself to his right plus the second squad in front of him. Anson had made it very clear that he expected the Chief to stay close to him and do exactly as he was told.
For some reason he hadn’t seemed pleased when Nikka with a grin assured him that he’d done plenty of boardings back in the day, and how did he think he’d come by all these patches anyway?
No sense of humor.

“Contact! Mating docking collar.” The voice over the comms came from the shuttle pilot and was underscored with a simultaneous shudder that could be felt through the deck.
She’d reversed the shuttle towards the airlock a lot faster than the regs stipulated but Nikka wasn’t going to complain about that either, the less time they were exposed the better.
The hatch in the aft bulkhead opened and the first squad started to move through it into the airlock. A bit of a misnomer at this point of course since the area on the other side of it was exposed to space.
No air left to lock in.

Once the first squad had gotten through the inner hatch as well and taken up positions on the other side the second squad started to move through and continued further in while being provided cover by the first one.
And then it started over again with each squad taking turns advancing and give cover.
Seems straightforward enough.

Anson observed the two squads advance and at the same time made sure that himself, the Chief and the two corpsmen stayed with the rearmost squad at any given time.
Everything went smoothly so far but he knew that this would be the easy bit, enclosed corridors with limited potential for any sort of hostile ambushes or other surprises, plus the hatches slid open without even an override command.

“Doesn’t that bother you?” He heard the Chief’s voice in his helmet for the first time since they’d entered the Starbase.
“What?” Anson felt a mild sense of irritation, he’d told Nikka to keep quiet unless it was important.
“No lockdown in this area. When a Red Alert is called at a Starbase all the exterior access points are locked down automatically in case of hostile boarding parties.” He pointed to a wall panel flashing in an annoying red color. “Red Alert. But no lockdown.”
Anson thought about that for a second. “So what does that mean?”
“Well, it could just be that the systems were damaged and the lockdown failed to initiate.”
“Or?” Anson was starting to feel a bit uneasy. Nikka seemed focused, his tone of voice almost solemn.
“Or...” Nikka paused. “Well, we picked this entry point because this was the airlock area that was the most undamaged. If someone was trying to get off the station it would also be their best bet. Perhaps someone overrode the lockdown so they could get out.”
“That’s a good thing. That would indicate survivors.” Why did the Chief seem so unnerved.
“There were docked shuttles at the adjacent airlocks and the path seems to be clear, the override worked, if that was what it was.” Nikka paused for a second time. “So where are they?
Now Anson understood.

Bridge, Black Prince.

Again Wilsk had been forced to ask V’lok and Th’tavar to take things step by step. I must be getting old.
“Yes Sir.” V’lok spoke first. “The disruptive energy signatures that is preventing us from scanning the Starbase interior are continuing to emit at a continuous rate, showing no signs of abating.”
He looked at Th’tavar who continued.
“We observed that the signatures are located on one side of the Starbase and appear to be superficial. Either by the exterior hull or in the few cases where they are further towards the interior they coincide with major hull breaches.”
He brought up a graphic on a display.
“I analyzed the positions on the assumption that they formed a dispersal pattern with a single point of origin.”
“Say what?” Really old.
The graphics on the display shifted and dotted lines started to shoot out from an image of the tattered Starbase before all intersecting at a point to the side of the Starbase about twice as far away as the height of the station.
“Projectiles? A ballistic weapon system?”
V’lok carried on. “That can’t be ruled out but taking into account the energy weapon that damaged the Black Prince it would seem unlikely that they would also utilize such a primitive system.
We believe that the more likely explanation is that it is a type of boarding capsules that are fitted with the means to disrupt internal communications and situational awareness of their target.”

Wilsk once again found himself staring at the display.
“How large, and how many?”
“It’s difficult to estimate their size given that we can’t scan them but based on some impact damage we can observe visually we calculate a rough mass of two to three times that of our shuttles.”
Th’tavar pressed some buttons and the display changed again listing calculations.
“We can detect nineteen individual energy signatures.”

Wilsk was silent at first. Then he asked a question he already knew the answer to.
“Can we get this information to the boarding party somehow?”
“No Sir, we lost contact once they entered the Starbase.”
Wilsk felt his grip around the railing he was leaning on tightening.

Don’t you dare not come back.

Starbase 278, Atrium.

They’d cleared the initial corridors and moved through some technical spaces without incident but now they were at a point which had concerned Anson when viewing the Starbase schematics.
There were several large open spaces aboard, and they’d just reached one of them. One of several atriums surrounding the inner sections which thery needed to get to.

By now there was something else nagging at him other than the challenges of crossing the open area and the associated dangers of that.
After the Chief pointing out the oddity of the non-existent lockdown he’d looked for things that seemed out of place and now there was one thing above all that stood out.
No bodies.
The corridors he might understand, the Starbase was under construction and not every shuttle access area would necessarily be staffed at any given point in time as on a fully operational station.

But the atrium was vast and functioned as a junction between several different areas, there would always be a few people in motion here on their way from one place to another. As he looked up at the broken dome above them which revealed the presence of stars through the holes he thought that the decompression must have been explosive.
Did they get ejected into space?

But then he looked at a number of loose objects strewn about, shattered flower pots that looked like they had been picked up and thrown into the ground with a violent force and dismissed that thought.
There should be bodies.

He motioned for squad in front to move out towards the inner core. In the corridors they’d used their infrared comms, it was line of sight only and wouldn’t be detectable to someone further away. Out here though he intended to avoid that unless things got hot.
The stealthier the better.

Two Macos in the squad that was giving cover suddenly moved and pointed their pulsed phaser rifles higher up along the massive structure that was towering over the atrium grounds, then the rest followed as well.
Anson looked in the direction they were pointing. His tactical display being projected in the inside of his helmet visor brought up several markers for moving targets among the many balconies and platforms that were up there.
Five-six stories up.

Then the markers disappeared. The motion had stopped. Anson tried to zoom in but he couldn’t make out anything. Whatever it was it had either slipped back into the structure or was keeping still, observing them.

He waited for a while longer but still nothing.
The first squad had made it across the grounds and the squad leader was looking back at him, no doubt wondering what the delay was about.
He pointed with his index and forefinger towards his eyes and then with his whole arm stretched out towards were the motions had registered on his display. Cover high.
The squad leader held up his palm towards Anson. Understood.

With that he got the remaining squad in motion across the open space, making sure that Nikka and the corpsmen were out of the line of fire as they started to run. Babysitting.

They made it across and the first squad that had covered them hadn’t moved. Still nothing up there.
Nothing that we can see anyway.

He turned and looked at the large steel door that were in their way. An emergency bulkhead, and the display to its side clearly indicated that a lockdown was in effect.

He decided that they could use the comms again, there was a solid balcony above them and there was nothing behind them, that he was fairly certain of.
“Chief, you’re up. Get the tools out.”
Nikka looked up. “Ah, well. Those are mostly for show to tell the truth. The Captain might clue in otherwise.”
Clue in?

The Chief moved towards the bulkhead and as he did so he unclipped his coffee cup from the harness.
“These are made for staying shut no matter what. Using tools for getting through would take even longer than using explosives.” He got a mischievous look on his face.
“Time for some Chief magic instead.”
With that he made a dramatic gesture and swung the coffee cup around in an arc before gently tapping its base on the bulkhead display. It immediately turned green and the bulkhead slid open.
The Macos that had been close enough to see what happened exchanged unsure glances.

Anson though knew immediately what he’d just seen. Long time no see.

A long time ago when he’d just joined his first unit following basic he’d gotten an unusual wake up one early morning.
He’d been pulled out of bed and pressed down against the floor in a less than gentle manner by a man in a large black armor suit and so had all the rest the platoon members in the barracks. They’d screamed that they were Starfleet Security but the suits said otherwise. Specops.
As he was pressed down against the floor Anson had glanced sideways and seen other black suits move around, opening the security cabinets at the far end of the room. But it was the way they did it which surprised him, not by prying them open or getting the platoon leader to do it for them but they just tapped their palm against them and they opened. Like magic.

He never found out for sure why they’d come that morning but rumor had it they’d been hunting for a traitor that’d been selling secrets to the Romulans.
A while later he’d asked an older Sergeant about what he’d seen and the old-timer had chuckled as he explained.
They’ll never admit it, he’d said, but they have things us mere mortals don’t have. Including ways to override all Federation specification locking mechanisms when they're in a big hurry.

Now Anson stared at Nikka’s coffee cup that had been returned to its place on the harness.
A skeleton key. He has a damn skeleton key inside that cup.

Nikka looked at him and smiled.
“I keep telling everyone that it’s my most useful tool. Don’t know why no one believes me.”
With a quick pat on the cup he started moving through the bulkhead opening with Anson following close behind.

Last edited by Micael on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 am 

Nitpick. "pulse rifles" is Weberverse. These would be phaser rifles.

Otherwise, a damn well written spooky scene. No bodies means removal or . . . assimilation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Otherwise, a damn well written spooky scene. No bodies means removal or . . . assimilation.

Well, pulse phaser rifles is that I'm aiming for. Think rapid fire bulked up versions of the TNG:First Contact rifles which don't maintain a steady phaser beam.
Though perhaps I should give them a cleared designation.

Thanks!

[edit] I've changed it to pulsed phaser rifles for now. Might revise it again later on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:17 am 

Micael wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Well, pulse phaser rifles is that I'm aiming for. Think rapid fire bulked up versions of the TNG:First Contact rifles which don't maintain a steady phaser beam.

Thanks!

[edit] I've changed it to pulsed phaser rifles for now. Might revise it again later on.

Wouldn't they have the standard Type III phaser rifles, though? You can achieve the same effect by not holding down the trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 pm 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Micael wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:

Thanks!

Wouldn't they have the standard Type III phaser rifles, though? You can achieve the same effect by not holding down the trigger.

Well, no.

Let me explain my reasoning here. For one I want to keep the Macos and Starfleet "proper" at a bit of a distance from eachother. The weapons would be an obvious area to make that point in.
"Close but not quite the same."
Since I want to keep as in line with Trek-canon on the Starfleet end as possible they use your standard issue this-and-that and the Macos are the ones that gets slightly different stuff.

Now, if we then introduce a slightly different rifle for them it would be logical that this is adapted to suit their mission, which is more or less infantry style combat.
An infantry outfit has a need of some sort of suppressive weaponry to lay down cover fire or the depictions of potential combat I feel will get a bit unrealistic.
Since I also don't want to complicate things by introducing a dedicated support weapon I decided that having a rifle that has three separate modes would be desireable. The modes being pulsed auto, pulsed semi-auto and steady beam (like normal phasers).

These Maco tweaks are one of the reasons for placing the story in the Enterprise-C era as the canon material is rather less comprehensive than for the later Enterprise-D era.
The basic premise for the Macos are that they evolve to match available tech of the time and then gets axed as Starfleet gets all peacenik sometime before TNG starts.

But, I naturally encourage thoughts and opinions on the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:04 pm 

Starfleet is highly unlikely to go with two different phaser rifles. The costs will be enormous, since every Starship, starbase and planetary detachment needs both.

Where the MACOs will differ is training.

But, to misquote Poobah, this is set when Picard had more hair and the Admiral's uniforms were better. The movies Phaser III had a pistol grip and trigger. TOS' phaser III also did. So you can do a lot of what you want with the standard phaser III, before Starfleet's experience with thumbtriggers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 pm 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Starfleet is highly unlikely to go with two different phaser rifles. The costs will be enormous, since every Starship, starbase and planetary detachment needs both.

Where the MACOs will differ is training.

Nah, not everything is logical even in the Federation times. Just look at how many different pieces of equipment you have aboard different starships. How many different shipboard phaser variants are there (Type X for Galaxy, Type XII for Soverign and so on)? Versions of photon torpedoes and then quantum torpedoes? Computers? Warp cores?
Every time a new ship popped up it more or less had a differing equipment fit. So I'd argue that having more than one piece of equipment to do similar tasks is right up Starfleet's alley.

Besides, who says the costs needs to be greatly increased. If the pulse variant is a modified version of the standard then items like the powercells can be the same. It would still allow for economics of scale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm 

To add to that:

According to Memory Alpha the two phaser rifles Type 3a (compression phaser rifle, Voyager) and 3b (First Contact) were concurrent designs, variants of one base design. (The way I read it anyway.)
That is, precisely what I have here but at an earlier date.

Last edited by Micael on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm 
Legendary Overlord

I like!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm 

Nightwatch2 wrote:
I like!!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 am 

Andy L wrote:
The Bird of Prey. One basic design, scaled up to allow . . . . erm . . . . cheap editing, and mass production of . . . um . . . . stock footage.

Key war work, dontcha know? Hmm? What?

Pfff. I'm talking REAL Trek here. In SFB the warp nacelles are what produce usable warp power- long before the so-called "warp cores" were invented.

E4 corvette, F5 frigate, D5/6/7 cruisers, C series heavy battlecruisers, B series battleships all followed the same basic design philosophy. Wing-shaped secondary hull with warp nacelles mounted outboard and heavy weapons mounted at the front of each nacelle in a limited firing arc. Phasers- offensive and defensive- mounted around the secondary hull to provide good arcs of fire to the sides and rear. "Head and neck" shaped primary hull. Offensive phasers mounted in the chin of the primary hull (where movie D7s have their torpedo bay) and with good arcs of fire to the front and sides.

Now, in the case of the F4/5/6, D6/7, C and B classes the primary hull could separate in an emergency a la Federation saucers. For Klingon ships, that was to allow the officers to survive (notably the Security stations for internal ship security are stationed in the primary hull). The primary hull contains both an emergency single-cell impulse engine and several power reactors to allow it to make sublight speed (for F & D class) and in the case of the B class battleship (and maybe some of the Cs... I forget) the primary hull is able to separate and detach as a tactical evolution, with both sections being powerful combat warships in their own right.

The Federation ships with saucer/ engineering hull configuration hull allowed for saucer separation in an emergency (for many varying cases of "emergency"), with the saucer acting as a crew lifeboat. Hence, there being extensive crew accom. in it. Also, the main impulse engines are in the saucer so along with the majority of the weapons, so the saucer does have some slight tactical advantage and significant survivability advantage over a Klingon "neck", not least of which being that the saucer is capable of atmospheric flight.

Now, with the warp nacelles actually generating warp power it should become obvious that it is those that create the main sensor targets. So, a ship wishing to "slip away" from an overwhelming force which has some distance advantage can drop its warp nacelles- a tactic called "sublight evasion", as it leaves the ship limited to impulse power. A ship that can separate its primary hull also performs sublight evasion of a sort by default, as seeking weapons (drones, plasma torpedoes, suicide shuttles etc) will continue to target the secondary/ engineering hull with active warp engines. So, a Federation DD, NCL, or FF with saucer-and-nacelle design can still drop its nacelles and escape an enemy's sensors by sublight evasion (even though it cannot separate) and a Klingon D5 war cruiser- which, although similar to and indeed based on the D6 battlecruiser- cannot separate its primary hull due to war economies of build) can do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 am 

Micael wrote:
Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Micael wrote:

Thanks!

Well, no.

Let me explain my reasoning here. For one I want to keep the Macos and Starfleet "proper" at a bit of a distance from eachother. The weapons would be an obvious area to make that point in.
"Close but not quite the same."
Since I want to keep as in line with Trek-canon on the Starfleet end as possible they use your standard issue this-and-that and the Macos are the ones that gets slightly different stuff.

Now, if we then introduce a slightly different rifle for them it would be logical that this is adapted to suit their mission, which is more or less infantry style combat.
An infantry outfit has a need of some sort of suppressive weaponry to lay down cover fire or the depictions of potential combat I feel will get a bit unrealistic.
Since I also don't want to complicate things by introducing a dedicated support weapon I decided that having a rifle that has three separate modes would be desireable. The modes being pulsed auto, pulsed semi-auto and steady beam (like normal phasers).

These Maco tweaks are one of the reasons for placing the story in the Enterprise-C era as the canon material is rather less comprehensive than for the later Enterprise-D era.
The basic premise for the Macos are that they evolve to match available tech of the time and then gets axed as Starfleet gets all peacenik sometime before TNG starts.

But, I naturally encourage thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Just out of interest, why do you think that Starfleet axes the MACOs around TNG? We don't see them (just as we never see any ground combat vehicles)- but then we also never see a starship toilet either. Can't take it that "it never specifically appears in the series" means "it doesn't exist" if we have previous canonical reference to it. We know the MACOs exist; we know Starfleet has special security forces; we know that threats enough exist to warrant marines onboard. We also know that there are onboard ship Security too (ST3).

If you're interested enough to include any aspects of SFB, like Mike K has, each and every warship has a number of Marine "boarding parties" that can be beamed over to an enemy (via downed shields) to either make hit & run raids on particular systems, or to attempt to capture that ship (a Fed DD with downed frontal shields suddenly taking 16 Klingon boarding parties is in big trouble)... so the probability of BLACK PRINCE having marines on board is high. If you want to call those marines MACOs then that fits with previous canon........ QED.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 am 

One episode I recall, I think with Nog and some Starfleet types in a grinding infantry battle with the Jem'Hadar or however its spellt, fighting in some caves or something. Bill Mumy was a guest actor, I think he got killed. It may have been the episode where Nog lost his leg.

Starfleet crewman uniforms, starfleet crewmen, fighting a race bred to war.

No MACOs.

**** episode.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:07 am 

Craig:
Well first off my view of the evolution of Starfleet from the TOS era onwards is that it took a distinct turn for the 'peace and love' notions rather than military. We see an early example of this in the movies when there's talk of disbanding Starfleet all together due to Klingon moon exploding.
At some point prior to the beginning of TNG this has bloomed out in full, the new handheld phasers made to not look like firearms, a reluctant Enterprise crew partaking in a tactical drill (as if it was the first they'd ever heard of such a silly idea) and so on.
Then a partial reversal due to the Borg and Dominion threats.

Given the Starfleet policies that are portrayed during the early TNG I don't see how having a marine outfit can be reconciled with that, hence I believe it more likely that it was disbanded at some point in time prior to that.

As Andy points out there's also events during the shows where they should have appeared otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:06 pm 

One can also point out that phasers do not need to look like firearms to function effectively; that 1701-D is heavily armed under any level of scrutiny (275 phaser emitters just for the primary pranks, 3 torpedo launchers each capable of launching a spread of 10 at a time) so the "peace and love" thing doesn't quite stack up. Similarly relations with the Sovi... err Klingons have warmed since the Khitomer Accords and thus the primary threat had been dealt with, so the general demeanour could tilt towards diplomacy. It should also be borne in mind that Starfleet didn't back down from a fight.

There's good material in SFB to draw on; don't just limit yourself to the TV shows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:24 pm 

There's a lot of departures of the Enterprise-D from what would pass for a warship though. The onboard families for instance.
The more warship-like Sovereign-class is interesting to compare side-by-side with the Galaxy-class.

I'm not that eager to introduce stuff from SFB since that's a "universe" that diverged from the main Star trek line a long time ago and since I'm also not that familiar with it.
I'm more inclined to incorporate things from licensed Star Trek works, that has the advantage of being on Memory Beta as well which is cross referenced with the canon Memory Alpha.
In other words it makes my work a lot easier. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 pm 

Could Starfleet have had some MAD/MacNamara issues? After all, what good is a tank when everyone flies around in starships with continent leveling levels of firepower on board.

This is mitigated in some places by opponents who wish to conquer and occupy, not destroy. The thought would be during the TOS era, while they struggle with it you end up with reality pushing on you. This goes away afterwards, and so the TNG is dominated somewhat by types who don't see any utility, until new events/forces like the Dominion and Borg are encountered, forcing a revaluation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next