History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 pm 

Kaiser Karl VI is on course 190, speed 10 knots.
Kaiser Karl VI continued to engage the Vettor Pisani until the target exploded at 0724 Hours. We noted a flash forward of a midship turret and a fire prior to the ship's destruction.

We recieved return fire and suffered hull damage to our stern. Our speed is unaffected.

Magnet is on course 90, speed 24 knots. Magnet has seen several merchant vessels, an unidentified Italian battleship and a few destroyers or torpedo boats.

Panther is on course 90, speed 10 knots. She engaged the Carlo Alberto and hit her a few times with no noticeable effect.
Panther was not hit in the last 5 minutes.

Leopard is on course 90, speed 10 knots. She engaged Carlo Alberto and scored several hits. We noticed one hit forward which started a fire.
Leopard was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Carlo Alberto has turned due south and is fleeing as was Vettor Pisani before her loss.

Battle Divisions are on course 90 at 17 knots except for Ezherhog Karl.

Ezherhog Karl is limited to 10 knots. We are working to control flodding. Our gunnery is unaffected.

Zenta and 3rd Destroyer group are on course 90, speed 17 knots.
None of these vessels were damaged in the last 5 minutes.

2nd Destroyer Division is on course 270.
None suffered damage in the last 5 minutes.

1st Destroyer Divison has turned to course 90, speed 17 knots.
None of these ships were engaged in the last 5 minutes.

1st Torpedo Boat group is on course 315, speed 26 knots.
2nd Torpedo Boat group is in scattered formation. (See map of 0720 hours.)
No ships suffered damage in the last 5 minutes.

The enemy torpedo boat Calliope sank under concentrated fire from our destroyers and torpedo boats.
The Partenope cruisers have turned away to the north and made smoke. They are about 8 miles from our lead destroyers.

The smoke of the enemy battleline has been seen further East. We are fairly sure the enemy fleet has turned East to link up with their cruiser.

Please refer to the 0720 Map for the Mian Battle Fleet's disposition. You can reform your formation if you wish. I am including a Strategic Map to show the location of various forces.

Attachments:
Strategic13.JPG
Strategic13.JPG [ 145.92 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:30 pm 

Signal the flag: One enemy cruiser exploded, one fleeing. Magnet sighted enemy transport fleet. Request instructions re pursue and destroy enemy armored cruiser, return to main formation, or attack enemy transports with remaining strength?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:17 am 
Mockingbird

If I am reading the map correctly, my squadron is bringing up the rear of the battle line.

My orders are to follow the flag.

Oh, and "BRING ME MY BRANDY!"

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:18 am 

Sorry i vanished. Life has been hectic on account of a moving from one coast to the other, among other things, and internet access has been more limited than expected for the past ten days. Expect orders by the end of the week. Again, my apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:27 pm 

Flying Bridge, Erzeherzog Karl, 0725 hours

The distant explosion was quite a sight. Vizeadmiral Konrad von Reuenthal raised his field glasses to scan the horizon in an attempt to determine which had been the unfortunate warship. It was difficult to identify the small silhuettes, but from their positioning he suspected one of the Italian heavy cruisers had been sunk. The signals from Kaiser Karl VI confirmed the suspicion. He lowered his field glasses and pondered the situation. This sortie had been plagued by rotten luck, and the Cruiser Squadron had gotten the worst it. To tell the truth, he could have handled himself and his fleet much better. Nevertheless, his men and officers had accounted very well for themselves throughout all the difficulties, and for that he was proud of them.

"Vizeadmiral," a young man saluted as he entered the bridge. "The Chief Engineer has confirmed it, we cannot make more than 10 knots with the damage to the bow. We are still trying to control the flooding, but she should stay afloat."

The Fleet Commander nodded soberly. In the Russo-Japanese War the flagships had lead from the front with great success. Yet with improving radio equipment and the increasing danger from torpedoes, it was perhaps time for the K.u.K Kriegsmarine to revise its doctrine and begin to place its most valuable ships near the centre of their formations instead of the front. The lessons from this battle would have great impact on the naval doctrine of all seafaring nations, but now was not the time to implement them. In the middle of an engagement he would make do with what he had and use it to destroy the enemy. Unfortunately, with his ship disabled, he could not remain in command. If his fleet succeeded, someone else would get the most of the glory, but if did not pass on the flag, they would not succeed.

The Vizeadmiral steadied himself and issued his final orders to the fleet, "Signal the Kaiser Karl and offer my compliments for the Squadron's successes. They are to destroy the remaining armoured cruiser if practicable; if not they shall continue on to attack the convoy. Then signal to the whole fleet that due to battle damage to my ship, I am handing off command to Kontreadmiralin Mariendorf. Finally, send a message to Friedrich addressed to the Kontreadmiralin: 'I have all confidence in your abilities. Destroy the enemy transports, take out the Italian line after if you can. Good luck and God be with you.'"

Reuenthal took his hat off and ran a hand through the greying hair under it. With a sigh he approached the voice tube to the Conning Tower and spoke through it, "Kapitän, hoist the 'disregard' flag and take us out of the line."

Conning Tower, Erzherzog Friedrich, 0730 hours

Isabella von Mariendorf took the change of command with equanimity. She had been expecting it ever since the Karl took that torpedo hit. After quickly reading the missive from her Commanding Officer, she adjusted herself and issued her first orders as Acting Fleet Commander, "Maintain speed and set an intercept course for that convoy, and tell the Torpedo Squadron to take position to protect our starboard flank. Tell Linienshchiffkapitän Horthy to get down here; I'm heading up to the flying bridge."

Orders for Battleship Squadron

-Erzherzog Karl will drop out of the line, and attempt to follow it as best able once it has passed her by. Until further notice the Karl will operate independent of the Battleship Squadron and I Division.
-Erzherzog Friedriech now has the flag. Kontreadmiralin Isabella von Mariendorf is now acting Fleet Commander.
-Battleship Squadron will maintain speed and turn to intercept the enemy transport convoy.

Orders for Cruiser Squadron

-Pursue and destroy remaining enemy cruiser if practicable, otherwise begin attacking enemy transports.

Orders for Torpedo Squadron

-Assume line ahead formation 500 metres to the starboard of the Battleship Squadron. The 1st and 2nd Destroyer Groups will take position near the van and rear of the battle line, respectively, and the 3rd Group near the middle. The two Torpedo Boat groups will occupy the intervals between the destroyers.
-Zenta will take position at the head of 3rd Destroyer Group.

Edited for more German

Last edited by Isabel on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

Following orders from the flag so far here too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:13 pm 

Like the story...

Turn report to follow.

I have been tempted to put in a story from the AI point of view but all I have is this:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:49 pm 

Kaiser Karl VI turn to 180 and engage Carlo Alberto.

Panther maintain current course. Increase to flank speed. Engage Carlo Alberto.

Panther maintain current course and speed. Engage Carlo Alberto.

Magnet to shadow Italian convoy. Run like hell if any enemy, of any strength, approaches.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]