History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:53 pm 

Kaiser Karl VI is on course 55, speed 11 knots. She is leading Leopard and Panther towards the convoy.

Panther is on course 55, speed 11 knots.

Leopard’s is on course 55, speed 11 knots.

The cruisers have not been under fire in the last 5 minutes. We have closed formation down to 1,000 yard intervals. Dandalo is moving towards us at about 15 knots.

Our Battle Divisions are on course 90 at 15 knots headed towards the convoy. Ezherhog Karl is making 10 knots and has transferred to the cruiser group’s command. Ezherhog Karl is rapidly being left behind.

Our First torpedoboat group has been successful in its torpedo attack. The Battleships Napoli and the Benedetto Brin have both been torpedoed! Second torpedoboat group is not yet in position to launch its torpedoes.

Third destroyer group launched its torpedoes at the enemy cruisers without effect.

Our fire against the enemy battleline has had good effect.

Benedetto Brin was hit twice and has slowed.
Vittorio Emanuele was hit once and has lost its forward turret.
Roma was hit once in the area of the bridge.
Sicilia was hit once in the secondary battery.
Sardegna was hit once with unknown effect.
Erzherhog Karl blew up the Marco Polo with a devastating broadside. A flash was seen in an after turret followed by an explosion that consumed the ship. She is no more!

Ship status update:

Hapsburg has lost her main armament and is losing spend rapidly. She is in danger of sinking. Her maximum speed is 14 knots.
Erzherhog Ferdinand Max has lost her after fire control station and her rear turret. Her bow is wrecked and she is limited to 15 knots.
Babenburg is undamaged.
Árpád is undamaged.
Budapest has suffered minor firecontrol damage. She has recovered her steering and remains in line.
Monarch has suffered suffered a hull hit that has limited her speed to 16 knots. She has also suffered a direct hit to the bridge that has killed the captain and the ship is currently off course and heading to the North East.
Wien has suffered no major damage.
Erzherhog Friedrich has lost her forward turret and has suffered minor hull damage. She is limited to 17 knots. She is burning.
Erzherhog Karl is limited to 10 knots because of her torpedo hit. She is otherwise battleworthy but is unable to keep up with the battleline.
Kaiser Karl VI has suffered secondary battery damage and is low on ammo. She has about 100 rounds of main battery ammo remaining.
Zenta is currently out of action. Her gunnery officer estimates repairs to the battery will take another 15 minutes. She has also taken hull damage and is limited to 9 knots.
Panther has suffered hull damage significant hull damage and is limited to 11 knots.
Leopard is essentially undamaged.
Our Destroyers are undamaged except for the Komet.
Komet has suffered minor hull damage and has lost one of her port guns.
The enemy destroyers have begun to engage our torpedo boats but their fire has been ineffective. No additional damage was reported by our screening forces.

The enemy battleline has maneuvered roughly parallel to our force. We estimate their course to be about 100 degrees relative to North.

Their destroyers have deployed for a torpedo attack against our forces.

Attachments:
0830 Hours.JPG
0830 Hours.JPG [ 101.82 KiB | Viewed 1069 times ]
 Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:45 pm 

At what range will Kaiser Karl VI's secondary battery and the main batteries of Panther and Leopard be able to engage Dandolo successfully? How close do we have to get to use tertiaries, and how good is Dandolo's fire control?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 pm 
Mockingbird

Orders to my squadron:

Follow the flag in line ahead. Continue to engage the ships at which you have been firing.

To Wein: Be prepared to avoid Monarch Go around her if she continues to not be under control and continue the engagement.

Be prepared to engage the italian destroyers with secondaries and tertiaries when they are clear of our ships.

Do we want to have the destroyers that have fired their torpedoes continue to annoy the italian battleships, or should we have them go after the italian destroyers?

I can't remember... Do our destroyers have reloads? Starboard and port sets of tubes? If they have tubes on both sides, we should have them do a second firing run while they are already close to the battleships. If not, they should reload, assuming they have reloads.

Belushi TD

Post subject: @Rob
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 am 

Dandalo is a ponderous hulk armed with slow firing (but big) guns. She is poorly armored. Effective range for any guns in this time period is about 8k yards. All but the smallest guns can reach that far. The limitation is fire control. Dandalo's fire control is up to date but it's guns are ancient. KKVI is about the only ship in danger of getting hit because of its size. Leopard or Panther are unlikely to be hit (luck could always go against you) but a hit would be fatal. KKVI would have it's upper works wrecked but it would likely not be penetrated because of the poor AP qualities of the ancient shells. She seems capable of a broadside about once every 15 minutes.

Post subject: @Belushi TD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am 

None of the destroyers have reloads. Ironically some of the battleships carry reloads for their torpedoes.

Consider any destroyer or torpedo boat to be able to fire all of their torpedoes in a five minute move. Their nimble nature and high speed allows them to even fire bow tubes or disengaged side tubes during a five minute move.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:48 pm 
Mockingbird

Ok. SO a torpedo attack is a one shot deal.

I would suggest that we have our torpedo boats that have fired their torpedoes go after their torpedo boats with the goal of sinking them, rather than just driving them off.

Once we've wrecked their torpedo threat, we can continue to duel with their battleships, and send the remaining destroyers ahead to go after the convoy.

If the Hapsburg is in danger of sinking, do we want her to continue in the line of battle, or should we have her turn north out of the line to try to keep her afloat?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 pm 

Belushi TD wrote:
Ok. SO a torpedo attack is a one shot deal.

I would suggest that we have our torpedo boats that have fired their torpedoes go after their torpedo boats with the goal of sinking them, rather than just driving them off.

Once we've wrecked their torpedo threat, we can continue to duel with their battleships, and send the remaining destroyers ahead to go after the convoy.

If the Hapsburg is in danger of sinking, do we want her to continue in the line of battle, or should we have her turn north out of the line to try to keep her afloat?

Belushi TD

Get her out of the line now, to avoid fouling ships astern - or, worse, them having to maneuver to avoid her and checking fire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 am 
Mockingbird

Are we waiting for someone to give orders at this point, or has real life interfered again?

Belushi TD

Post subject: Yep; Orders :)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:41 am 

It can be as simple as do what we did last turn. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm 

Cruiser squadron turn in succession to 135. Maintain 11 knots for now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:24 pm 

(Bleh, sorry, real life has been making me blah. I'll stop groping for the life rings and post orders tonight or tomorrow morning, hopefully.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 pm 

Well, I seem to be in a bit of a pickle, my flagship now having more holes in it than a Swiss cheese factory with a mouse infestation.

Ships incapable of remaining in the battleline turn to the North-East; this includes Hapsburg. Other ships, attempt to make for the convoy! For Kaiser und Koenign!