History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:02 pm 

– A Tale of Bad Cordite and Poor Subdivision

Kaiser Karl VI is on course 135, speed 11 knots.

Panther is on course 135, speed 11 knots.

Leopard’s is on course 135, speed 11 knots.

Kaiser Karl VI has come under fire from Dandolo. We were not damaged. Our return salvo has set the Dandolo on fire.

Our Battle Divisions are on course 90 at 12-13 knots headed towards the convoy. Damage to vessels has made the 17knot battleline speed impossible. Ezherhog Karl has turned to course 45 away from the battle in an attempt to save the ship.
The Erzherhog Ferdinand Max blew up under fire of two Italian battleships.
The Hapsburg has capsized and is sinking by stern.

Our torpedo attack has born fruit. The Napoli has rolled over to port and is sinking.

Our fire against the enemy battleline has had good effect.

Lombardia sank after receiving multiple hits from our secondary batteries.
The Italian destroyer Espero blew up under fire from secondary and tertiary batteries.

Ship status update:

Babenburg is undamaged.
Árpád has suffered hull damage forward and has suffered severe damage to her starboard secondary and tertiary batteries. Her speed is limited to 14 knots.
Budapest has suffered minor firecontrol damage. She has recovered her steering and remains in line.
Monarch is underhelm but is burning fiercely end to end. Her speed is limited to 12 knots because of stack damage.
Wien has suffered damage to her upperworks from an enemy shell. The secondary battery has been damaged.
Erzherhog Friedrich is still burning and only her aft turret is in action.
Kaiser Karl VI is low on main battery ammo. She has about 80 rounds left.
Zenta broke in two and sank because of her wounds.
Panther has suffered hull damage significant hull damage and is limited to 11 knots.
Leopard is essentially undamaged.
Pandur blew up from what appears to have been a battleship shell. There were no survivors.

Alligator has sustained minor damage from the enemy destroyers.
None of our other destroyers or torpedo boats were significantly damaged despite concentrated fire from enemy vessels.

The enemy battleline has maneuvered roughly parallel to our force. We estimate their course to be about 100 degrees relative to North.

Their destroyers have deployed for a torpedo attack against our forces. We see torpedoes in the water coming towards our battleline.

GM Note - This battle is going to last about 10 more minutes or about 2 turns. The Italian torpedo attack is likely to cause some damage to the Austro-Hungarian battleline but the cruiser squadron is likely to reach a group of helpless transports. Dandolo probably can't stop the cruisers as she can't fire for another 15 minutes!

Attachments:
0835 hours.JPG
0835 hours.JPG [ 101.64 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]
 Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 am 
Mockingbird

Damn...

We're still outnumbered 1.5 to 1 in battleships. That was a rough round, and its likely to be even rougher this round.

Absent orders from the flag, I'm going to order my ships to comb the torpedo wakes. The geometry of the attacks seem to me to indicate a turn towards the enemy line, rather than away. This will close the range, I know, but it will also allow for improved gunnery, right?

I've a question. How long can Monarch burn before she explodes or has something else unpleasant happen to her?

Are damage control teams doing their thing?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 pm 

Panther is to turn to 045 at her best speed and continue to engage Dandolo when she enters effective range.

Kaiser Karl VI and Leopard are to come to 100 and increase speed to flank. Continue to engage Dandolo. Report status of torpedoes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:50 pm 

I'm currently in the water wishing I'd stayed in Belgrade with my mistress!

Flag falls to Belushi with command 'ATTACK REPEAT ATTACK'.

Maybe I should stick out my thumb as Arpad sails by...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:01 am 
Mockingbird

This is turning into a rather costly engagement, in terms of Admirals.

Are the Italian torpedo boats also one shot weapons?

If so, my orders stand. I'm not sure how the computer works as far as orders go, however.

Am I correct in my understanding that if I order the battleline to comb the torpedoes, they will do taht for the entire round? They will not comb the torpedoes and then immediately return to their base course?

I'd also like the tertiary weapons on the Battleships to go after the destroyers, once we're in range.

Is it safe to assume that our torpedo boats and Destroyers are firing at the italian destroyers?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:47 am 

Re - Monarch exploding.

Things are always dicy when Pre-dregs are burning end to end. They don't have a set time for exploding and sinking. Sometimes they burn for hours and other times they do the fireworks thing then sink. Damage Control parties are doing their best and they automatically do their thing. The only way a player can actively aid in their chances is to cease fire and allow the gunnery crews to aid in the damage control effort. A player need only say to cease fire. The rest is automatic.

Re - Are Italian Destroyers one shot weapons?

Essentially yes. Some might have reloads but the odds are good they will never get to use them.

Re - Combing torpedo tracks. You are automatically assumed to try to comb wakes in your move. You can try to move away which also has an effect. Given the short range of the era's torpedoes, this could be quite effective.

Firing teritaries at incoming torpedo craft. Just order it to be so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:26 am 
Mockingbird

Ok...

Orders:

To: Cruisers engaged with Dandolo- Continue as before

To: Destroyers - Drive off and prosecute to sink any destroyers/torpedo boats out there. If there are any destroyers that have torpedoes left, they are to make an attack on the battleships. Feel free to shoot at any enemy ships you happen to be in range of.

To: Battleline - Continue firing at your targets and put them down. Our cruisers are almost to the convoy. Give me another 15 minutes and we'll defeat the Italian invasion! Primaries at the battleships, secondaries at the enemy cruisers, tertiaries at the enemy destroyers.

That doesn't overload the fire control, right? They are pretty much individually laid and aimed, right?

Belushi TD