History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:26 pm 

Battle Divisions are on course 315 at 17 knots.

Kaiser Karl VI is on course 135, speed 12 knots. She was engaged by Vettor Pisani and received one hit on the secondary battery which didn’t penetrate.

Kaiser Karl VI has continued to engage the Vettor Pisani with her main and secondary batteries. We scored one or two hits on the target. The target appears to have slowed.

Magnet is on course 90, speed 24 knots. She was not engaged during the last 5 minutes.

Panther is on course 135, speed 12 knots. She engaged the Carlo Alberto and hit her several times but without effect.
Panther was fired on upon by the Carlo Alberto but not hit.

Leopard is on course 135, speed 12 knots. She engaged Carlo Alberto and scored 3 hits with unknown effect.
Leopard drew some secondary fire from one of the cruisers but was not hit.

The enemy torpedo boats have continued west and are engaging our torpedo boats and destroyers. The fighting has been fierce and we have inflicted damage on several of the enemy craft.

Erzherhog Karl engaged the Clio with her secondary and tertiary batteries. She may have scored some hits but the volume of fire from our vessels makes it hard to discern which ships hit which targets.

Zenta and 3rd Destroyer Group are on course 90, speed 20 knots.

Zenta engage Alcione with her main battery and scored at least two hits on the target. The Alcione is on fire and listing badly. Fire from the target has nearly ceased. The target seems to be sinking.

Zenta took several hits from the torpedo boats but suffered no major damage. We have noted several torpedoes fired at us.

3rd Destroyer group is on course 90, speed 28 knots. The 3rd destroyers group is engaged with the enemy torpedo boats.

None of our destroyers were hit, though several had near misses. Our destroyers may have scored damage on the approaching torpedo boats but it is difficult to tell.

Second Destroyer Group is on course 90, speed 26 knots.

Turul engaged Calipso and scored 1 hit on the target. Calipso is now burning.
Turul was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Pandur engaged Calliope and scored one hit which caused an explosion on the forecastle.
Pandur was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Uskoke also engage Canope and straddled the target.
Uskoke was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Scharfshutze fired upon Cassiopea but scored no hits.
Scharfshutze was fired upon but suffered no damage.

1st Destroyer group engaged the enemy torpedo boats as they moved West. Our lead elements are engaging the Italian cruisers.

Huszar engaged Aretusta but missed because the range is still long.
Huszar was not engaged in the last 5 minutes.

Ulan engaged an unknown torpedo boat and scored a near miss.
Ulan was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Streiter engaged Ardea an unknown torpedo boat and missed.
Streiter was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Wildfang engaged Centauro and scored 1 hit forward. The target has slowed.
Wildfang was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

1st Torpedo Boat Group is on course 90 speed 26 knots. 1st Torpedo Boat Group engaged the enemy torpedo boats as the raced past.

Kaiman engaged an enemy torpedo boat and scored 1 hit without visible effect.
Kaiman was not hit in the last 5 minutes

Anakonda engaged an unknown enemy torpedo boat but missed
Anakonda was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Alligator engaged an enemy torpedo boat but missed.
Alligator was not fired upon in the last 5 minutes.

Pinguin engaged an enemy torpedo boat but missed.
Pinguin drew enemy fire but was not hit.

Wal engaged Calypso and scored 2 hits which started a fire on the target amidships.
Wal has hit by several shells which caused minor damage.

Seehund engaged Cassiopea and scored 1 hit which caused an explosion aft.
Seehund drew fire from multiple enemy torpedo boats and took several minor hits. We have lost a torpedo mount.

Krokodil is under heavy fire from the elements in the Italian Van. She was hit and is slowing. She is mentioned in a separate entry from 1st Torpedo Boat Group.

2nd Torpedo Boat Group is turning to course 135, speed 26 knots.
We are engaging the lead elements of the enemy’s torpedo boat squadrons. None of our vessels were hit though several suffered near misses.

Our fire was concentrated on Cassiopea and Pallade.

Pallade sank at 0703 hours after taking multiple hits.

Narwal has collided with Cassiopea inflicting minor hull damage on each vessel. Cassiopea appears to be heavily damaged.

Krokodil is on course 315, speed 22 knots. She is being chased by several ships in the van of the Italian Battle line. She has suffered two hull hits and is slowing.

The enemy battle line is on course 315, speed about 15 knots. Their destroyers in the Van are doing 25-26 knots.

Attachments:
0705 Hours.JPG
0705 Hours.JPG [ 123.14 KiB | Viewed 744 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:31 pm 

Cruisers maintain course, speed, and targets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:21 pm 

Were the assigned targets for my ships obscured by the turn?

Post subject: @Bushranger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 pm 

Firing at the approaching enemy torpedo boats with heavy guns, while they were so close to your own screen, was very likely to cause collateral damage to your forces. In game terms this would be called "overs". The odds that your ships would hit anything (enemy) while in mid-turn was remote. The odds that you would hit your own ships was much greater.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 am 

Bloody ugly mess this is...

Orders:

-Battleship Squadron turn together 45 degrees to starboard. \
-First Destroyer Group perform Gefechtskehrtwendung to starboard.
-Second Destroyer Group turn in succession to course 140.
-Third Destroy Group continue to engage the enemy.
-First Torpedoboat Group turn together to course 230.
-Second Torpedoboat Group continue to engage the enemy.

Notes:

I briefly considered seding 1st Destroyer and Torpedoboat groups to go beat on the Italian Cruisers, but I need my fast movers together to deal with the incoming swarm of enemy destroyers. Hopefully I'll be able to get the battle line past the enemy torpedoboats sometime soon, but God this has proven to be huge problem I should have seen coming.

Post subject: @Isabel
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:59 pm 

Do you want the battleline to come to course 0? Another turn 45 degrees to starboard would put you on course 0.

Maintaining course would keep you on course 315 which is the way that the "\" after the sentence indicates you wish to go.

Sorry for the confusion. Just want to make sure your ships are going the way you want them to go.

BTW: You can specifically identify targets for your ships if you wish. When I get a "general engagement" order I usually pick the target that is closest to the firing ship.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 am 

My intention is for the line to come to course 0 so that move a bit further north and out of the Italian torpedoboat's hammer and anvil. Next turn it is my intention for them to turn together to course 090, thereby adopting line ahead formation once more, and being in position to engage the passing torpedoboats with their secondary and terciary batteries.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]