History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More Armageddon?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:37 am 

Dear Mr Slade,

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere in the Armageddon/ Pantheocide discussions that you had penned a third installment to the story, only to put it on hold. cancel in favour of more TBO stories.

May I ask- do you intend to ever publish (even if for our delectation on this board) the third part of your trilogy, or will it continue to languish in development hell (no pun intended)? I'm just re-reading this for the second time now- it helps pass the time on a slow Nissan day- and it really is an excellent work, easily the equal in style and content of any of your TBO stuff.

Cheers,

Craig

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: More Armageddon?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:07 am 

Glad your enjoying this. It was certainly fun writing it.

The story was originally conceived as a trilogy. The first story, Armageddon, would cover the war on Hell, the second (Pantheocide), the war against Heaven and the third (the Lords of War) the aftermath of the first two wherein humanity has to deal with all the problems emerging from the first two books against a background of an unknown but emerging threat. That threat turns out to be another ex-dimensional species (the devils referred to in the earlier books) who combine the deviousness of Michael, the sheer raw courage of the Daemons and the military prowess of the humans. When the war erupts, it needs the Angels, Daemons and humans to combine and cooperate to fight the devils. And so, in the face of an extensive external threat, they reconcile and unify. In the end it turns out that beings from the next "level" up (the other side of the Minos Gate) had known what was coming. So had Yahweh and Satan and it was the knowledge of the Devil's return and what it would mean that had driven them mad. So, the beings from the next level up had put the question "why" into human heads and left them to develop into the technically advanced, warlike species that would save everybody else from the devils.

The third part never got written. We had a contract signed to publish them and they'd been prepared, copy-edited and put into paperback novel format (I actually have the author's preprints) when a . . . . person . . . . stole the copy and published it himself as a torrent. As a result, the whole deal fell through and nobody will touch an already-published work. So, without any possibility of generating return, I ditched the project. There's no chance of going back to it now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Glad your enjoying this. It was certainly fun writing it.

Always wondered what the plot line was going to be. Thanks for clearing that up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:51 am 

The opening line of "The Lords of War" was

"I'm sorry, George, but it's just much cheaper to hire real angels than human actresses dressed up that way."

And it's set outside a Victoria's Secret store in a mall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:26 pm 

Now my bottom lip is sticking out. I'd held hope that one day it may be finished....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 pm 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Now my bottom lip is sticking out. I'd held hope that one day it may be finished....

I'm sorry. I really am.

The little bastard who killed it did so quite deliberately. He wrote a crowing email that he had destroyed its chances of publication because it "offended his religion."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:48 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:

I'm sorry. I really am.

The little bastard who killed it did so quite deliberately. He wrote a crowing email that he had destroyed its chances of publication because it "offended his religion."

Did the sig read "Dirka Dirka Mohammed?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:08 pm 

Poohbah wrote:
Did the sig read "Dirka Dirka Mohammed?"

He was actually a Ukrainian and he used his real name. Sounds Christian. ***I THINK*** he was some kind of fundamentalist but apparently they are rare in that part of the world so that might be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm 

Bloody shame really, would of been greet to see it complete its is a excellent bit of writing,

Armageddon ...

Though in this instance not for humans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:43 pm 

Quote:
He was actually a Ukrainian

Wonder if he lives in one of the eastern provinces, where all the fun and games has been going on recently?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:09 pm 

Cihatari wrote:
Quote:

Wonder if he lives in one of the eastern provinces, where all the fun and games has been going on recently?

One can only hope that he's of the wrong ethnicity wherever he happens to be...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 pm 

Poohbah wrote:
Cihatari wrote:
Quote:

One can only hope that he's of the wrong ethnicity wherever he happens to be...

IIRC an ISP trace showed he came from the Crimea. That being the case, I hope some good, diligent Chekists are explaining the error of his ways to him with large, heavy clubs.

On an entirely different subject, completely unconnected to the above, I wonder if the Chekists need a contribution to their pension fund?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:05 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
The third part never got written. We had a contract signed to publish them and they'd been prepared, copy-edited and put into paperback novel format (I actually have the author's preprints) when a . . . . person . . . . stole the copy and published it himself as a torrent. As a result, the whole deal fell through and nobody will touch an already-published work. So, without any possibility of generating return, I ditched the project. There's no chance of going back to it now.

Hmm, that's a tough problem, have you considered non traditional methods of publishing and funding?
Things like Kickstarter, Amazon direct publishing, Patreon, and other such systems?

As for the torrent, if that changes anything, it's quite possible that it has succumbed to time over the years and is not useable anymore because of complete lack of seeding, my little checkup on that matter indicates that it's very likely the case now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 am 

CBG wrote:
Hmm, that's a tough problem, have you considered non traditional methods of publishing and funding? Things like Kickstarter, Amazon direct publishing, Patreon, and other such systems?

I have looked at these. The major thing was that the contract for TSW was with a major publisher (a confidentiality agreement precludes me from saying which one - as is standard - please don't try and guess) but it was a major mainstream publisher. They'd read the two books already written and were very enthusiastic. Their Publishing Director was furious when the torrents came out since he believed they had caused his company major losses in revenue. None of the above methods have anything like the same level of gravitas nor would they yield the same financial return.

Quote:
As for the torrent, if that changes anything, it's quite possible that it has succumbed to time over the years and is not useable anymore because of complete lack of seeding, my little checkup on that matter indicates that it's very likely the case now.

The original torrents are dead - that much we were able to achieve - but the piracy they initiated is still a major issue. Also, there's a thing called first publication rights which are critical in the publishing industry. Those have been stolen and cannot be recovered. So the damage is permanent and irreparable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:12 am 

I find it bizzare that a stolen, unauthorised torrent counts as 'first publication rights', but I'm not one of the lawyers being lined up first against the wall...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:19 am 

The Bushranger wrote:
I find it bizzare that a stolen, unauthorised torrent counts as 'first publication rights', but I'm not one of the lawyers being lined up first against the wall...

There's nothing bizarre about it. Torrenting something is publishing it. Once its done, first publication rights are gone forever. Look on it as a virgin having sex. It doesn't matter whether she consented or got raped, her virginity is gone. The fact that the torrent was stolen and unauthorized is of no significance whatsoever. It happened and that's that. Game over.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:04 pm 

Have you considered a UK publisher? Don't know how well it would work, but apparently they're less picky about first publication than US publishers are. Though my reading of IP law (and I am so far from being a lawyer it isn't even funny...) suggests that the legal protections associated with first publication rights may now have gone to our Crimean friend. One hopes that the current difficulties in his neighbourhood have unduly inconvenienced him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:57 am 
Mockingbird

Are we so sure that the reason Putin took over the Crimea had NOTHING to do with this yahoo?

I mean, if the Seer was involved....

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Belushi TD wrote:
Are we so sure that the reason Putin took over the Crimea had NOTHING to do with this yahoo?

I mean, if the Seer was involved....

Belushi TD

{Sound of screaming and fingers crunching}

"Here, drink this. Nammah says it will make you feel better."

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 am 

RLBH wrote:
Have you considered a UK publisher? Don't know how well it would work, but apparently they're less picky about first publication than US publishers are.

They are; the problem is that the legal knots are so rough to disentangle, nobody is prepared to put up the money - anybody looking at doing so is probably going to get a six-figure legal bill and at least three to four years. Essentially this would be establishing international case law and everybody wants somebody else to foot the bill.

Quote:
Though my reading of IP law (and I am so far from being a lawyer it isn't even funny...) suggests that the legal protections associated with first publication rights may now have gone to our Crimean friend.

They have - one of the reasons for the complexities mentioned above. In effect, those rights have been stolen. As I've said before, this case is a perfect example of why literary piracy and theft of intellectual property rights is so damaging.

Quote:
One hopes that the current difficulties in his neighbourhood have unduly inconvenienced him.

Amen to that.