History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 am 

nomad990 wrote:
I've had a question about an aspect of the series that got touched on once or twice... Would we have ever found out just what the 'devils' were? They sounded like a really Big Bad if they got heaven and hell working together. :D

The "devils" were another bubble-world species that gave the daemons a really hard time. Really, they were a place-holder for a malevolent species that had moe or less kept up with the times and would have been much more serious opposition that would have required Heaven, hell and Humanity to combine in ordre to push them back. Thus, having fought side-by-side, the ancient divisions would have been resolved and a happy ending ensues. The basic structure of TSW - The Lords Of War would have been the first 2/3s of the book exploring the problems humanity faces in now ruling all three realms and the growing dissention/insurgency in Heaven and Hell. The last third would have been the attack by the devils and the desperate fight to drive them out.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 am 
Current Holder of the Cement Bicycle

Francis Urquhart wrote:
nomad990 wrote:
I've had a question about an aspect of the series that got touched on once or twice... Would we have ever found out just what the 'devils' were? They sounded like a really Big Bad if they got heaven and hell working together. :D

The "devils" were another bubble-world species that gave the daemons a really hard time. Really, they were a place-holder for a malevolent species that had moe or less kept up with the times and would have been much more serious opposition that would have required Heaven, hell and Humanity to combine in ordre to push them back. Thus, having fought side-by-side, the ancient divisions would have been resolved and a happy ending ensues. The basic structure of TSW - The Lords Of War would have been the first 2/3s of the book exploring the problems humanity faces in now ruling all three realms and the growing dissention/insurgency in Heaven and Hell. The last third would have been the attack by the devils and the desperate fight to drive them out.

It's a shame that it was torrented, I always thought it was Stuart's best work :) :( .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:36 am 

Winston Smith wrote:
It's a shame that it was torrented, I always thought it was Stuart's best work

Perfect proof of the destructive effects of literary piracy. Perhaps, given time, it may come back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:32 pm 

That would be great if you came back to this. It's always been my favorite of your stories and after reading your summary of the third book, I would love to see it concluded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Winston Smith wrote:
It's a shame that it was torrented, I always thought it was Stuart's best work :) :( .

I always thought it a shame we couldn't implement the blood retribution we joked about.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 am 

I saw today's XKCD, and couldn't help but think of this:
The alt-text: Tonight's top story: Lucifer, the Prince of Darkness, died in his home this morning at the age of [unintelligible rune]. Due to the large number of sharks inhabiting his former kingdom, no body could be recovered.
Why didn't you guys think of sharks when TSW was being written?

Intelligence can be identified by its rejection of self-deception; by its willingness to admit that it might be wrong; by its insistence upon evidence rather than mere impression; by reasoning that cannot easily be assailed. - Orson Scott Card

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6