History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 am 

Wingman wrote:
yall had to go snitch him out? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just being a good citizen. ;)
[/quote]

lol, just put him in a TBO or an TSW story doing something embarrasing. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 am 

We'd never hear the end of it if we did that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:06 pm 

Quote:
For those interested (not me, particularly.)

Just to digress from the tediousness at hand, has anyone looked closely at Stormlord's tank?

Does the same thought occur to you, as it does even to a military layperson like me, that out of all the multiple cannons, casemates and turrets, many of them interfering with each other, there is absolutely nothing covering the arse of that misbegotten vehicle.

It would just take one cheeky little Molotov cocktail lobbed on that exposed aft deck, then its crispy critters all round.

Maybe they only go forward with bear cavalry in close support :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm 

Bernard Woolley wrote:
We'd never hear the end of it if we did that. :lol:

and????? :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:23 am 

For god's sake it is a Games Workshop 40K Imperial vehicle.

Little of that ilk is even vaguely practical or achievable.

Disclaimer - my Space Wolves have a number of armoured vehicles. Land Raider, Rhino, Predator etc.

Further disclaimer - the last time they took to the field under my command was about 15 years ago against Orks. I won in a slaughterthon and left it at that. Never bothered to take on G's Tyrannids or Eldar.

Frankly I am not a good gamer but really enjoy painting (won a prize once for an sdkfz 222 though others on this Board have done much better) and notional TOEs. My Space Doggies are tooled up to the max allowable (perhaps) under the previous 40K rules perhaps only because the choice of special weapons/weapons' systems were more interesting to paint.

I should really exctract my digit and post some photos of what we have here.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm 

The Admiral wrote:
Cihatari wrote:
Quote:
If I am taking it personally, it's because I...well, I loved TSW before. I suppose that's why I dislike Stuart so much now.

Omigod, the humanity! Stuart, I get the feeling he's going to come after you for simultaneous psychiatric and laundry bills next. Meanwhile I am sitting on my hands here and exercising best troll nutrition avoidance procedure but my hands are turning blue :mrgreen:

Well, the odd thing is that his history of virulence goes back to 2009 which is way before the Ukrainian incident killed any chance of publishing TSW under the contract then in place. So, if he's attributing his virulence to the Ukrainian incident, then he's been caught in a deliberate lie (there's a lot more lies in his tirades, but that's an obvious one). There's a few other things he's given away as well that are amusing.

What really surprises me is that the administration of that site haven't closed that thread down and kicked him out. I was under the impression that the admin of AH.com was pretty strict on proper behavior.

As to that last point. AH.com is a HUGE site and CalBear is pretty much the only moderator really active right now (out of several); Ian himself recently completed a cross-country move so he's been unable to do much. CalBear has so much on his plate that he's not always able to respond immediately to reports of misbehavior. Anyway, "Stormlord", as already noted, has gotten a week's involuntary vacation; I'm not sanguine that he'll have learned anything when he comes back, so my money is eventually on Cal sending him to Heinlein's Coventry (i.e., banning him).

To be honest, I'm kind of perplexed myself about exactly what the hell happened over there at SDN. I'd been following the TSW saga regularly - in fact, it and some of the fanfic, such as the DrakaFic series (though I think SpaceBattles.com is better for that nowadays) was pretty much the only reason I visited that board regularly; some of its tics, particularly the hard-core, dogmatic atheism/anti-Christianity, irk me, but that's beside the immediate point. Anyway, I went away for a while to other destinations on the Web, and when I came back, oh, I think it was sometime early last year, to check up on updates...

BOOM. The disaster with that so-and-so in the Ukraine had happened, and (as far as I can gather; several people have made references to other incidents, but I don't know what) some other things had happened, and all of a sudden TSW had become Something We Don't Talk About Anymore on SDN and all discussion relating to it had been banned. I'm still scratching my head over the whole business, as I've plainly missed some important contexts (I think a lot of stuff in the discussion threads on SDN got deleted).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm 

I think it can be summed up as typical of That Sort Of Folk:

It became an embarassment, so they unhappened it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 am 

The Bushranger wrote:
I think it can be summed up as typical of That Sort Of Folk:

It became an embarassment, so they unhappened it.

I still lurk at SDN.

There was a thread about the Japanese in WW2 and there was some quality input, principally by Sea Skimmer.

There are however too many juveniles Thankfully there are also members like Edi, without whom the whole shebang would implode/explode.

edit

I just checked out this thread:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=155271

The Australians there are morons. Stuart, why did you give weema..whatever a cameo. Elections recently and to come indicate that he and his ilk, as demonstrated in that thread, are fringe at best leftists.

hint: if you want to see them froth and bubble mention Andrew Bolt and Tim Blair, both local conservative columnists and bloggers. BTW, the left simply cannot stand that Bolt is the most hit upon political blogger in the country, far outpacing the Govt supported ABC blogs. Bolt was also the target of a Steyn like attack.

Jonathan

Jonathan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:58 am 

from my privileged position in the peanut gallery, I've been trying to make sense of it and what I have comes out like conspiracy theory. (Which may just be me- all very, very much IMO.)

TSW was to a large extent fan service, and quite deliberately so- entirely apart from the writing itself, that was the hook. It was basically- no, complicatedly- a sugar coated pill of conservative-republican ideology, that many were swallowing- a successful subversion attempt and stealth crowbarring open of closed minds, although with some noise in the undergrowth, up until the Ukrainian business.

That tripped an ideological alarm; most of the crew over on SDN had bought into the human/american triumphalism up until that point, but the righteous vengeance to be visited on said spammer stuck in the collective craw- and I think the chain of thought (or imagination) went the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that's a bit extreme, bit to the right, hold on a minute, we're dealing with someone who self identifies as rich, rotund and republican, aren't we? Not really on our side- waitasecond, this is full of conservative messages- we're being played.

Cue explosion, SDN swung sharply to the left over that and has stayed there ever since, less doctrinaire posters drifting away or being canned as the groupthink bites ever deeper. Ever closer to the self destruct button? (Maybe it wasn't a failed subversion, after all?)

I'm only still there because of Terentius- "I am a human being, therefore nothing human is alien to me." Although large parts are becoming increasingly distasteful. When they ran out Scott Lowther, an aerospace engineer, for not being a rabid Democrat, gaaahhh. It's not really been about science and SF for a long time, and I may need a new home soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:12 am 

The only thing I still follow on SDN (maybe checking it every couple months for updates) is the Hull No. 721 series ECR does. Everything else there seemed to be self-serving political fantasy wanking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Yon Trollson wrote:
from my privileged position in the peanut gallery, I've been trying to make sense of it and what I have comes out like conspiracy theory. (Which may just be me- all very, very much IMO.) TSW was to a large extent fan service, and quite deliberately so- entirely apart from the writing itself, that was the hook. It was basically- no, complicatedly- a sugar coated pill of conservative-republican ideology, that many were swallowing- a successful subversion attempt and stealth crowbarring open of closed minds, although with some noise in the undergrowth, up until the Ukrainian business. That tripped an ideological alarm; most of the crew over on SDN had bought into the human/american triumphalism up until that point, but the righteous vengeance to be visited on said spammer stuck in the collective craw- and I think the chain of thought (or imagination) went the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that's a bit extreme, bit to the right, hold on a minute, we're dealing with someone who self identifies as rich, rotund and republican, aren't we? Not really on our side- waitasecond, this is full of conservative messages- we're being played. Cue explosion, SDN swung sharply to the left over that and has stayed there ever since, less doctrinaire posters drifting away or being canned as the groupthink bites ever deeper. Ever closer to the self destruct button? (Maybe it wasn't a failed subversion, after all?) I'm only still there because of Terentius- "I am a human being, therefore nothing human is alien to me." Although large parts are becoming increasingly distasteful. When they ran out Scott Lowther, an aerospace engineer, for not being a rabid Democrat, gaaahhh. It's not really been about science and SF for a long time, and I may need a new home soon.

That's probably a pretty fair summary; I ceased to participate on the site very soon after the Ukrainian affair and I really have no idea what happened after that or what the "other incidents" referred to are. However, I think the lurch away from rationality started when Mike Wong ceased to be a regular participant. When I left, he hadn't posted for over a year and the lack of adult supervision was showing badly. It was Mike Wong effectively leaving that made me decide to do likewise. I don;t know if he ever returned or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:57 am 

gtg947h wrote:
The only thing I still follow on SDN (maybe checking it every couple months for updates) is the Hull No. 721 series ECR does. Everything else there seemed to be self-serving political fantasy wanking.

Thank god I never joined there then. I mean I personally disagree with some of the politics of some the fine persons on here, and yet I feel like part of the community.

IMO politics can be ignored as long as one remains civil.

edited to make sense.

-Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:04 pm 

The Admiral wrote:
However, I think the lurch away from rationality started when Mike Wong ceased to be a regular participant. When I left, he hadn't posted for over a year and the lack of adult supervision was showing badly. It was Mike Wong effectively leaving that made me decide to do likewise. I don;t know if he ever returned or not.

I do remember seeing Mike Wong posting sometime around August of last year but he seemed to vanish again afterward. Then again, I only go there to check for updates to fractalsponge1's 3D artwork thread and lurk at a couple of other subforums, so he could be posting in a section that I don't pay attention to.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 pm 
Current Holder of the Cement Bicycle

Does anyone have a link to the original first Pantheocide Thread on SDN?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:43 pm 

keb Mark 2C wrote:
The Admiral wrote:
However, I think the lurch away from rationality started when Mike Wong ceased to be a regular participant. When I left, he hadn't posted for over a year and the lack of adult supervision was showing badly. It was Mike Wong effectively leaving that made me decide to do likewise. I don;t know if he ever returned or not.

I do remember seeing Mike Wong posting sometime around August of last year but he seemed to vanish again afterward. Then again, I only go there to check for updates to fractalsponge1's 3D artwork thread and lurk at a couple of other subforums, so he could be posting in a section that I don't pay attention to.

Given that Mike owns the site and the server hardware, I don't think he's completely dropped out -- but I think he's certainly devoting more time to his personal life, which means he probably just skims the forums occasionally.

He basically did the same thing back on alt.startrek.vs.starwars (the Usenet group that spawned SDN). He was one of the prolific posters on ASVS between 1998 and 2000 or so, then left the group to focus more on his website and personal life. In 2002, when ASVS was starting to suffer (as with the rest of Usenet around that time) he announced that he was starting SDN, and he stayed very active for quite a while, but it's been obvious that he's been slowly losing interest over time.

As far as politics, for the most part I simply try to stay out of the debate. I did register Republican years ago, but over time I have concluded that most politicians are well-meaning imbeciles, with occasional fringe cases of either utter heartless, amoral bastards or honest, hard-working and intelligent people. The fact that the US evolved into a two-party system has caused everything to fracture along nonsensical, arbitrary partisan lines that have wrecked the ability of our Congress to do anything that's remotely effective.

In other words, I despise both the Democratic and Republican parties equally, for the simple fact that whenever one side comes up with a good idea, it's savaged by the other side with a ferocity usually only seen in extremist religious groups.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 pm 

A Salvation War cover was mentioned a few times. Is it still around?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm 

I still SDN and the first R and O debate was total :roll:

O is giving it to him man YEA :roll:

O is going to trash R baby :roll:

Really O lost :roll:

Dang R and the RIGHT leaning media :roll:

What Would Reagan Do?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 pm 

constable wrote:

What?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:27 pm 

Winston Smith wrote:
constable wrote:

What?

That is the way the board reads on any and all areas related to politics. O-Obama R-Romney it reads like a child texting. For what little its worth.

What Would Reagan Do?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:07 pm 

I've had a question about an aspect of the series that got touched on once or twice... Would we have ever found out just what the 'devils' were? They sounded like a really Big Bad if they got heaven and hell working together. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next