History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bob Henneman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:44 pm 

I have just learned that Bob Henneman has passed away. He was the true definition of a gentleman and a scholar who had a wide range of knowledge at his fingertips and was always willing to share that information. He argued his ground forcefully and with great skill but was never ashamed to concede defeat gracefully on the are times he lost those arguments.

His loss is a great one and it leaves us all poorer for his passing.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Bob Henneman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

My condolences to his family and friends.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

Post subject: Very sad news
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:08 pm 

my best wishes to his family and friends

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

That is sad news indeed. My condolences to his family. At one time Bob and I had considerable correspondence, we were on opposite teams in the WTRE back on Battleship vs Battleship. He was a great guy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:48 pm 

Sad news indeed. Condolences to his family.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:22 pm 
SAC-trained killer

.....Truly sad. Bob's family and friends are in my prayers.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:18 pm 

Only knew him through the 'net, but I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:46 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

His board the the first I found back in 2000. Through it I found Warships1 and though it, this board.

I can't add much more to what's been said of his conduct on the internet, but I'll add that he created the most stable, drama free board I've encountered, and it being the first one I really met, it set a high standard. Other boards that failed up stand up have driven me off or left me apathetic, but I found this board to be much in the same spirit as his.

With that said it was never as active as this one or others, but that in a way was a blessing, not a curse. What was said on the board was the most detailed, well argued discussions I've encountered on the internet and the information every member brought to the board gave insight into the matters discussed that were impossible for someone in my position to find on their own both living in a region of my country without my interest in stocking our libraries with good naval warfare books and chronically struggling with money and thus being unable to afford all but a couple of books that were brought up there and here.

Usually, his board only got a few dozen posts per week and could be read through within half and hour or so, but they were golden and I'm fortunate that he created his board which not only allowed me to gain insight into the subjects I loved, history and warfare, but it also kindled an interest in (well, more concern about) politics that led me here.

All I can say further was the attack that destroyed his old board and left a gaps of years before it was restore was a insidious crime completely undeserving of such a nice, wonderful man who only added to the world, never took away from it like those attackers did.

Does anyone know what he died of? I know he battled cancer for most of the time I knew of him. I hope it didn't win out in the end and was something else, at least a final victory over it of sorts. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Admin

It appears that Bob was terminally ill and opted to depart this life at a time of his own choosing.

He was a good one and he will be missed. Way back when, he was one of the mainstays of the old warships1 boards from which this forum sprang. His words were always worth reading, and I am saddened that there will be no more.

Inner Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:04 pm 

Another man to thank the Almighty he lived. He has done great, and often unsung, things for all of us, and he will be missed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:49 pm 

A very sad loss indeed to the naval community.

On a sad related note, the attitude on the Warships1 board over this is little short of disgraceful, and a good reminder to myself as to why I no longer post there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:47 pm 

I've been trying to think of a way we can honor Bob's memory. Has anybody any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:23 am 

Small gesture, but renaming some section of the forum where we promote the highest standards of writing and discourse (essays perhaps) as the Bob Henneman memorial forum, or alternatively having an annual award presented to the poster on this site who has most closely upheld the values and conduct espoused by Bob over the years, as a means of encouraging us all to raise our internet game?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 am 

Jimlad2 wrote:
Small gesture, but renaming some section of the forum where we promote the highest standards of writing and discourse (essays perhaps) as the Bob Henneman memorial forum, or alternatively having an annual award presented to the poster on this site who has most closely upheld the values and conduct espoused by Bob over the years, as a means of encouraging us all to raise our internet game?

That's an excellent idea. Perhaps do both. How about having a sub-forum of the Essays Section that will deal with naval issues and then, first week in April have a vote on which entry there, posted over the last year, comes closest to his ideals in terms of information accuracy, general authority and also restrained sense of humor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:38 pm 

His family have my thoughts. I also found his board first, and always enjoyed his writings and thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 am 
Cassandra

I'm glad Bob had the opportunity to go out as he chose. Plenty of honourable chaps to welcome him for that company. He got a good fight out of the past decade, too.

As for restrained humour--yes, a definite qualifier. Unrestrained humour would belong only in the jutlandjim Limerick Forum.

"Labouchère, a Member of Parliament from the Radical wing of the Liberal Party, was staunchly against homosexuality and had campaigned successfully to add the "gross indecency" amendment to the Criminal Law Amendment Act of 1885."