History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hawaii missile alert
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 pm 

This came over cellphones and TV in hawaii a while ago:

Emergency Alert
BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL

:shock:

Turns out they were doing a drill and someone hit the wrong button. :o Took 20 minutes for the false alarm to get out.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/13/ ... nd-hawaii/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Hawaii missile alert
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:42 pm 

A lot of people seems to have taken it very seriously, there’s one video floating around of kids being placed in storm drains.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:10 pm 
Legendary Overlord

A test sent out as real!

Where in my rusty memory banks does this ring a bell....

(So to speak)

I’m available for a consulting gig to Hawaii!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:12 pm 

Nightwatch2 wrote:
A test sent out as real!

(So to speak)

Well... :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21744&hilit=Alarm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:18 pm 
SAC-trained killer

Nightwatch2 wrote:
A test sent out as real!

(So to speak)

Nightwatch,

I was opening up a B28 mag at Wurtsmith for the '79 one (my team chief was a veteran of the Cuban Missile Crisis, by-the-by). Were you on duty that night?

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:28 pm 

How someone on the ground experienced it. (Yeah the ending paragraph is a bit much but I’m inclined to cut the guy some slack given the circumstances.)
Quote:
I Got the Hawaii Missile Message and Prepared to Die

‘NOT A DRILL’

Jon Letman

01.13.18 2:52 PM ET

Photo Illustration by Elizabeth Brockway/The Daily Beast

KAUAI, HAWAII—Somewhere deep in sleep, dreaming I am at work... why did everyone leave their phones in the office?... then I feel my wife's foot tickling me... stop it... then: ALERT! LOUD! What's that? Turn off your alarm, I think.

My wife leans over and shows me her phone, which displays a dull black and grey EMERGENCY ALERT reading “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

It's 8:08 on a Saturday morning. I bolt out up and out of bed, think what everyone else across Hawaii must be thinking: “WTF?!”

Instinctively I rush to the kitchen, passing my 13-year-old son who is sitting on the couch in the living room, holding his phone (typical) presumably playing a game. I rush to check my work phone on the kitchen counter, scrolling through Twitter to see similar disbelief from other people on Oahu.

I know the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency has said Hawaii would have 12-15 minutes warning. It's 8:11. WTF?

My wife is scrambling. Radio. Is there a radio up here?

"My friend got it too," my son says from the other room, speaking of the alert warning.

I am looking at two iPhones, two Twitter feeds. More disbelief. Is this a mistake? What?

Water. We need water. There's water in the kitchen. In my mind I am swearing. In my mind, lots of Fs.

Related in U.S. News

I start closing doors, windows. We have in a single family wooden house in Lihue on the island of Kauai. Closing doors and windows seems like a joke. What am I doing?

It's 8:14.

"Get in the bathroom, c'mon." My wife is fumbling with the radio. I am now in the bathroom filling up the bathtub. I see the neighbor's cat at the window on the lanai looking in.

My wife has brought a thin blanket into the bathroom. Water is filling the tub. I turn on at transistor radio and scroll for something that isn't static, music or noise. I check for more information on Twitter. I see nothing about a North Korean launch. I see lots of tweets but only the people in Hawaii are tweeting about the alert. They are in disbelief. There is a sense of panic.

What do I do? Call my family on the mainland? Parents and siblings in Washington, Colorado? No time.

It's 8:27.

I know this could be the end of my life. Or not. The tub is filling with water. My wife and son are seated on the bathroom floor, the most protected room in the house, I suppose. But the thought this wooden could protect us is laughable but I know there is no time to go anywhere. In my mind I debate running into the garage to grab water bottles to bring into the bathroom. Do I stop at the fridge and get food?

Finally some useful but unwelcome information on the radio: "There is an incoming missile warning for the islands of Kauai and Hawaii."

Is this happening? I have no time to call anyone. No time to get water. The tub continues to fill. I look at my wife and son. He looks at me, scared. I try to smile. If there is a missile strike, a blast of any kind, we are toast. It's almost pointless to search for batteries, duct tape and canned tuna. This is it.

I look at the phone—a tweet: HAWAII - THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE. THE ALERT WAS SENT OUT INADVERTENTLY. I HAVE SPOKEN TO HAWAII OFFICIALS AND CONFIRMED THERE IS NO THREAT.

I see another tweet. False alarm? It's a false alarm, I say. Again—WTF?

My legs are shaking. "It's a false alarm," I repeat. You can stand up. Stop the tub.

More disbelief. What is this?

Outside the sky is filled with bright light, it's morning. But it's not a thermonuclear morning. I am in disbelief. Did this just happen?

Then a message comes in from Twitter: I'm seeing on Twitter an alert went out about an inbound missile saying this is not a drill/text. I assume it's erroneous. Let me know?"

I sit down to open the computer and record my thoughts. Suddenly a second alert from the phone.

False alert message from the Hawaii EMA. The missile warning siren that Hawaii has recently begun testing does not sound.

Now it's 8:48 a.m. and my phone rings again. I answer. A robovoice says: "This is the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency. There is no active threat and no action is needed at this time. The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency is investigating this false alarm. Please do not call 911 unless you have an emergency."

So this is what it feels like to believe that you could have a nuclear bomb or an incoming missile about to destroy your world.

It's not a good feeling. Something must be done. Not just about the flawed mobile warning system in Hawaii but about a situation in which this scenario is even plausible, but about a world in which nations are poised to destroy each other with barely a moment's notice and bring about the end of life on this planet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:18 pm 

Reading that was great humor!! All I could think was that old ditty...

When in danger
Or in doubt
Run in circles
Scream and shout!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm 

I love the classic whining at the end. "Something must be done!" We've been trying to do it since 1964. Pathetic little worms like Jon Letman have been stopping us doing it. So, when he fries, its his fault.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
I love the classic whining at the end. "Something must be done!" We've been trying to do it since 1964. Pathetic little worms like Jon Letman have been stopping us doing it. So, when he fries, its his fault.

They were warned... doesn't that count as doing something?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:

He should’ve added “Will no one think of the children?!” for proper comedo- dramatic effect.

That piece came out like a Democrat seeing what reality really tastes like, for a second.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 pm 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

He should’ve added “Will no one think of the children?!” for proper comedo- dramatic effect.

That piece came out like a Democrat seeing what reality really tastes like, for a second.

Democrat reaction, "It's all Trump's fault."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm 
SAC-trained killer

jemhouston wrote:

You HAD to say it:

Jamie Lee Curtis (NOTE: Yes, that Jamie Lee Curtis)

@jamieleecurtis
This Hawaii missle scare is on YOU Mr. Trump. The real FEAR that mothers & fathers & children felt is on YOU. It is on YOUR ARROGANCE. HUBRIS. NARCISSISM. RAGE. EGO. IMMATURITY and your UNSTABLE IDIOCY. Shame on your hate filled self. YOU DID THIS!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
jemhouston wrote:

You HAD to say it:

@jamieleecurtis
This Hawaii missle scare is on YOU Mr. Trump. The real FEAR that mothers & fathers & children felt is on YOU. It is on YOUR ARROGANCE. HUBRIS. NARCISSISM. RAGE. EGO. IMMATURITY and your UNSTABLE IDIOCY. Shame on your hate filled self. YOU DID THIS!

Mike

Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is losing its effectiveness. One major TDS event a week isn't enough. There now has to be a major sh*thole-level TDS news event at least every other day to keep attention focused on Trump, Trump, nothing else but Trump.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm 

FWIW, filling the bath tub is not optimal, as the plug leaks anyway, dust & debris fall in, and any ground shaking will *surely* dislodge that leaky plug...

A couple of translucent plastic 'jerry cans' per RV and a pot of thiosulphite 'home brew kit' tablets is better.

But, if you REALLY want a Plan_B...

https://www.thegreenhead.com/2012/02/wa ... torage.php

--

JLC was convincing as a 'scream queen', played some fair 'mature' parts, but has now sunk to a 'whiny whinger'.
NOT pretty...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
jemhouston wrote:

You HAD to say it:

@jamieleecurtis

Mike

Someone had to. :lol:

Funny thing is it was a State screw up with the Democrats in charge. As Instapundit keeps asking, "Why are Democratic controlled groups such screw ups?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 am 
Site Admin

Francis Urquhart wrote:

Well we could do something by turning Pyongyang into a parking lot, along with all other major North Korean cities. That would stop false alarms in the future by removing the primary threat … oh, that wasn't what the whiner meant was it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:22 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:

I'd suggest just not warning people in future. Removes the risk of false alarms and the associated distress, and stops people running around like headless chickens not knowing what to do...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 am 
SAC-trained killer

pdf27 wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

I'd suggest just not warning people in future. Removes the risk of false alarms and the associated distress, and stops people running around like headless chickens not knowing what to do...

...In fairness, I had to admire the guy who said he was just going to finish his golf game:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothyme ... g-n2434233

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 am 

Timeline, Maj. Gen. Logan seems to have been on the ball having managed to secure confirmation that it was a false alarm within three minutes.

Quote:
Approx. 8.05am: A routine internal test during a shift change was initiated. This was a test that involved the Emergency Alert System, the Wireless Emergency Alert, but no warning sirens.

8.07am: A warning was erroneously triggered statewide by an employee at the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (HI-EMA).

8.10am: State Adjutant Maj. Gen. Joe Logan validated with the US Pacific Command that there was no missile launch.

Honolulu Police Department notified of the false alarm by HI-EMA.

8.13am: State Warning Point issues a cancellation of the Civil Danger Warning Message. This would have prevented the initial alert from being rebroadcast to phones that may not have received it yet. For instance, if a phone was not on at 8.07am, it would not receive the alert later on.

8.20am: HI-EMA issues public notification of cancellation via their Facebook and Twitter accounts.

8.24am: Governor Ige retweets HI-EMA’s cancellation notice.

8.30am: Governor posts cancellation notification to his Facebook page.

8.45am: After getting authorization from FEMA Integral Public Alert and Warning System, HI-EMA issued a 'Civil Emergency Message' remotely, cancelling the false alert.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 am 

I hope they leverage this incident. From the reports there were serious breakdowns in the alert system. Not everybody got the alarm.