History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 am 

Came across this link via an ARRSE thread on alternate WW2 history. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4348497.stm

While we all know that Germany was nowhere near this level of capability, did anyone ever work out what actually did happen to cause the flash?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 am 

Jimlad2 wrote:
While we all know that Germany was nowhere near this level of capability, did anyone ever work out what actually did happen to cause the flash?

This is an old, old story (dates back around 20 years). As far as can be determined the content was invented from whole cloth and none of the claims or statements in it can be substantiated. The general consensus is that the alleged flash never happened.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am 

'Fake history'? :-)

Thanks for clarifying - seemed a bit odd, so was curious as to what might have caused it. Nothing quite like good old fashioned imagination is there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am 

We Germans are utterly, totally, completely paranoid about nuclear radiation. Trust me, if someone had detonated a nuke in Germany you'd knew. If POWs and concentration camp inmates had been used as Guinea Pigs the ongoing outrage and hysteria over this would be ... Hard to describe but remember we went out of nuclear energy because of an earthquake in Japan. A place literally on the other side of the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 am 

Jimlad2 wrote:
'Fake history'? :-) Thanks for clarifying - seemed a bit odd, so was curious as to what might have caused it. Nothing quite like good old fashioned imagination is there?

what would we do without it? The History Channel would be completely devoid of content were it not for wild rumors and hideously over-active imaginations!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 am 

I'm Gobsmacked!! There's no NAZI bases on the Moon or the Antarctic!?! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 am 
Mockingbird

Of course not.

They all belong to the greys now. Once the Nazis got into orbit, the rest of the galaxy decided we needed to be quarantined and killed all the Nazis and started supplying intelligence to the allies to help them win WWII. (Bletchly park breaking the enigma machine? Sure. US codebreakers reading the Japanese codes? Sure. You keep thinking that. We all know it was aliens providing intelligence.)

Then, they had to turn the allies against each other, and dosed Stalin's food with LSD, making him paranoid, so then the cold war started. That kept the most advanced and therefore dangerous countries busy for 40+ years. Then communism fell apart (one of their few errors. Someone had to have been on vacation to let THAT slip by) and they had to come up with something - Social Justice Warriors, which was what gave us the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations.

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am 

Eric wrote:
I'm Gobsmacked!! There's no NAZI bases on the Moon or the Antarctic!?! :shock:

No. The Moon is where Elvis lives. He flew there in a B-32, according to the Sunday Sport. I remember being impressed that they'd used a relatively unknown aeroplane and not identified it as a B-24 either.

The Nazis, everyone knows, live underneath Loch Ness in U-Boats. Mk.VIIs... according to the Sport anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Jimlad2 wrote:
'Fake history'? :-) Thanks for clarifying - seemed a bit odd, so was curious as to what might have caused it. Nothing quite like good old fashioned imagination is there?

what would we do without it? The History Channel would be completely devoid of content were it not for wild rumors and hideously over-active imaginations!

If you want that, watch CNN or MSNBC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm 

M.Becker wrote:
We Germans are utterly, totally, completely paranoid about nuclear radiation. Trust me, if someone had detonated a nuke in Germany you'd knew. If POWs and concentration camp inmates had been used as Guinea Pigs the ongoing outrage and hysteria over this would be ... Hard to describe but remember we went out of nuclear energy because of an earthquake in Japan. A place literally on the other side of the world.

And you don‘t think it suspicious that Germany went out of nuclear energy as soon its former ally ran into trouble?

The most probable explanation is that Germany and Japan operate their nuclear power plants based upon advanced principles shared during the war which still haven’t been discovered by anyone else. When Japan had problems they disguised by creating a tsunami (that‘s another interesting story), Germany knew that they could face the same.

Don‘t forget that Merkel is a physicist who did her Ph.D. in theoretical chemistry in the GDR. This sounds way too strange for her not having deep insight in the secret nuclear research of the Axis powers AND the USSR. She knew something the rest of us don’t.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

It's the secret type of bonding she discovered: Merkel iso-psifosian attraction. That's why so many Germans have voted for her so many times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 pm 

Hans wrote:
M.Becker wrote:

And you don‘t think it suspicious that Germany went out of nuclear energy as soon its former ally ran into trouble?

The most probable explanation is that Germany and Japan operate their nuclear power plants based upon advanced principles shared during the war which still haven’t been discovered by anyone else. When Japan had problems they disguised by creating a tsunami (that‘s another interesting story), Germany knew that they could face the same.

Don‘t forget that Merkel is a physicist who did her Ph.D. in theoretical chemistry in the GDR. This sounds way too strange for her not having deep insight in the secret nuclear research of the Axis powers AND the USSR. She knew something the rest of us don’t.

You guys are killing me! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm 
SAC-trained killer

Quote:
Re: "Germany tested tactical nuclear device in WW2"

"...No one who is allowed to walk around without a keeper can possibly believe that."
-Edmund Burke

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm 

MikeKozlowski wrote:
Quote:
Re: "Germany tested tactical nuclear device in WW2"

"...No one who is allowed to walk around without a keeper can possibly believe that."
-Edmund Burke

Mike

I dunno. Given how utterly incompetent the economic engine in general, and nuke program in particular, were, it would not surprise me in the least to discover the Nazis had discovered the previously impossible: how to make a nuke that does not work at all.

Phryne: Fancy that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:49 am 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
I dunno. Given how utterly incompetent the economic engine in general, and nuke program in particular, were, it would not surprise me in the least to discover the Nazis had discovered the previously impossible: how to make a nuke that does not work at all.

I would actually be prepared to believe that the German Army Veterinary Corps had accidentally discovered how to make a nuke, but were ordered to repurpose it as an equine tooth extractor rather than embarrass the Post Office who had been tasked with the job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm 

Craiglxviii wrote:
No. The Moon is where Elvis lives. He flew there in a B-32, according to the Sunday Sport.

Rubbish! It was a Heinkel 111, Sunday Sport had a photo and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:56 pm 

Loki. "Branwen can you find me a B-29?"

Branwen. What do you want one of THEM for?"

Loki. "I'm going to smuggle it up to the Moon, reassemble it and wait until somebody finds it."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm 

More likely, Loki has Branwen buy up a bunch of Nazi equipment in the early 50's, then has a trusted friend use it to create the Nazi Antarctic base. Bonus if the site isn't discovered for 10-15 years.

Long life means being able to wait for the joke to mature.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 pm 

The two are not mutually exclusive of course. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Loki was behind most of the wunderwaffe nonsense. We can almost hear him thinking "I wonder how far I can push this . . . "

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
The two are not mutually exclusive of course. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Loki was behind most of the wunderwaffe nonsense. We can almost hear him thinking "I wonder how far I can push this . . . "

Cough, Hermes Tresmegistus and most of modern maths is based on a Loki/Phaeton prank . . .

Phryne: Fancy that.