History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Korea
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:48 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Why am I getting a strange feeling of Summer, 1914 . . . . .

I've got to say PM, it's fairly disconcerting when a generally non-hyperbolic person such as yourself posits such questions.

Speaking of hyperbole and Clancy novels via Zapad thread, realistically is there anything that Pooty-Poot could offer KJU for him to blow his wad on a first strike vs CONUS?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm 

I don't particularly care for it myself.

IMO, it is just a matter of time before we wake up one morning to find the US has unloaded everything we got, in West Pac, on the Norks.

Why?

It has as much to do with Iran, Russia, China and the rest of the world as it does to do with Kim.

Quite frankly I believe POTUS Trump has built a war cabinet and they know the last Hegemon, the USA, has got to demonstrate that the Bush and Obama years are over. The BIG dog is back and the BIG dog absolutely will do whatever is required to maintain it's position of leadership in the world.

Do you folks think Stu's signature

"Nations do not survive by setting examples for others.
Nations survive by making examples of others"

is some kind of joke? I assure you it is not. When it comes to maintaining the position of Hegemon it's nothing short of God's own truth. From time to time a very drastic example has to be made. I'd prefer it would be Iran but circumstances dictate that, for now, it is North Korea. With any luck, Iran get's what it has been asking for since 1979 sooner rather than later.

I told you you would not like it but there it is. As my old river boat skipper used to say "Some times there just "Aint" no good choices."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm 

Chairman Rick wrote:
I've got to say PM, it's fairly disconcerting when a generally non-hyperbolic person such as yourself posits such questions.

It may be I work on the basis of "if it can go wrong, it will" and if it doesn't we're one up on malign fortune. It may also be we've been doing a lot of talking about WW1. But, watch the first episode of the old BBC series "The Great War", "On the Idle Hill of Summer" and see if you don't get the same feeling. (It's on YouTube).

Quote:
Speaking of hyperbole and Clancy novels via Zapad thread, realistically is there anything that Pooty-Poot could offer KJU for him to blow his wad on a first strike vs CONUS?

Putin could suggest that if KJU doesn't, Putin will - at him.

Post subject: SSN flying Jolly Roger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:49 am 

There are many things in my life I'm not particularly proud of but I take comfort in the fact

I was never a Bubblehead ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That said, I'd put money on the bet the peanut farmer's boat pulled off what they "THINK " (remember these are Bubbleheads) was a very successful intel or spec ops patrol related to N. Korea, China or Russia.

Your thoughts?

Here is the article.

US nuclear sub returns flying pirate flag, sparking speculation
Published September 14, 2017 Fox News

"A Jolly Roger flag flying on a submarine can reportedly mean operational action". (Lt. Cmdr. Michael Smith/U.S. Navy)

One of the United States' most advanced nuclear submarines returned to port in Washington state this week flying a Jolly Roger, a move steeped in maritime lore and mystery.

The images of the USS Jimmy Carter, a Seawolf-class nuclear-powered submarine passing through the Hood Canal, were posted to a Pentagon media site and Twitter page. They show the skull and bones flying beside the American flag, the Washington Post reported.

The 450-foot-long Carter is one of three in its class and designed to conduct covert sea operations, the paper reported. The sub also was filmed returning from its last patrol in April with the Jolly Roger flying from the conning tower.

The black flag emblazoned with a skull and crossbones is of significance, says Scottish journalist Ian Keddie, who posted one of the photos on Twitter. The tradition of flying it dates to 1914, during World War I, when a British submarine sank the German battle cruiser Hela, according to the historical book “Submarines at War 1939-45,” the paper reported.

When the HMS E-9 returned to port, Lt. Cmdr Max Horton raised the iconic pirate flag to signal that its crew had sunk an enemy warship. British naval fleets have honored the tradition sporadically ever since.

It was not immediately clear why the Carter returned to its home port observing a British tradition, according to the paper. U.S. submarine activity is reportedly rarely discussed by the Pentagon, and the vessels operate in secrecy.

The paper pointed out that the flag display could represent the success of a more covert mission.

The Carter is able to deploy unmanned submersibles and probably splice undersea cables, all while using specially outfitted thrusters to almost hover off the ocean floor.

One of the Seawolf class’s namesake subs participated in the Cold War-era operations, in which U.S. subs tapped Soviet communication lines that were underwater.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Chairman Rick wrote:

It may be I work on the basis of "if it can go wrong, it will" and if it doesn't we're one up on malign fortune. It may also be we've been doing a lot of talking about WW1. But, watch the first episode of the old BBC series "The Great War", "On the Idle Hill of Summer" and see if you don't get the same feeling. (It's on YouTube).

Quote:

Putin could suggest that if KJU doesn't, Putin will - at him.

Something bloody strange is going on. Whistling in the graveyard, or as the ship goes down, I'm not sure. For certain, Fat Boy is taunting the big dog in the corner of the yard. He can't remember the last time that dog savaged him, and he doesn't know how long the dog's leash is- or rather, that the dog only pretends to have one. Something is going to happen and I agree on the July '14 thing, when it does it'll catch everyone with their knickers down and yet at the same time, no-one will be surprised that something has happened.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
It may also be we've been doing a lot of talking about WW1. But, watch the first episode of the old BBC series "The Great War", "On the Idle Hill of Summer" and see if you don't get the same feeling. (It's on YouTube).

It definitely does convey a feeling similar to our current time and when it happens the second episode of the Great War will likely provide the perfect title... "For Such a Stupid Reason Too".

Thank you for the series suggestion by the way. Excellent production.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 pm 

Chairman Rick wrote:
It definitely does convey a feeling similar to our current time and when it happens the second episode of the Great War will likely provide the perfect title... "For Such a Stupid Reason Too".

I wish I didn't agree with you. If the situation does blow, I suspect it won't be for a reason people expect but one that comes out of left field. Say a Nork terrorist assassinates the Japanese PM, the Japanese police roll the group up and find a direct proven link to KJU and issue an ultimatum. And it starts to roll downhill from there. That's the real problem with the situation right now, its providing an environment in which things can spiral out of control almost on their own.

Quote:
Thank you for the series suggestion by the way. Excellent production.

It is indeed; it stands up extremely well even though it's more than fifty years old. The BBC timed it just right; the eye witnesses were still lively, active men and women who retained all their faculties and whose memories were clear yet who were old enough to have let the fires die down so they could be dispassionate about those memories. The script-writers and experts who put it together also did a fine job and avoided most of the pitfalls though. What I particularly liked about the series was that it went into what people were thinking and feeling about the war and how those thoughts changed as the reality of the Great War sank in. That's very often a neglected area yet it is much more important than the minutia of military operations.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

And the Fat Leader has ordered another missile fired over Japan. No idea what its exact trajectory is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm 

Alleged stats:
-Likely a Hwasong-12 IRBM
-Range: ~3,700 km
-Apogee: ~770 km
-Flight time: ~17 mins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 pm 

Talk about it being a ranging shot for Guam now.
Distance from launch site to Guam also 3,700 km apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 pm 

Micael wrote:

Yeah, interesting point. Perhaps a dry fire test before a point is made? I wonder what would happen if these mad f'ers were to do a Soviet Test #219?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm 

Chairman Rick wrote:
Micael wrote:

Yeah, interesting point. Perhaps a dry fire test before a point is made? I wonder what would happen if these mad f'ers were to do a Soviet Test #219?

Burn?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm 

Looks like at least five US specops birds are airborne over Japan. Think all are MC-130H Combat Talon II.
Interesting, they're showing on ADS-B though so likely not a live mission. Though perhaps positioning assets?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 pm 

The specops birds have gone dark.

A Cobra Ball aircraft took off from Japan and tracked in the general direction of the Korean peninsula before killing ADS-B and going dark as well.
Another missile shoot expected?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 pm 

Micael wrote:
The specops birds have gone dark.

A Cobra Ball aircraft took off from Japan and tracked in the general direction of the Korean peninsula before killing ADS-B and going dark as well.
Another missile shoot expected?

An E-7 had also taken off from Korea around the same time as the CB. Not sure if it went dark.

Reports had said multiple launchers so not sure we're done yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 pm 

Chairman Rick wrote:
Micael wrote:

According to wiki, Test 219 was delivered by ICBM. I know that one of the US Dominic tests was a SLBM test. Were there any other live fire tests of long range ballistic missiles?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:10 pm 

bekosh wrote:
Chairman Rick wrote:
Micael wrote:

According to wiki, Test 219 was delivered by ICBM. I know that one of the US Dominic tests was a SLBM test. Were there any other live fire tests of long range ballistic missiles?

I think there had been Atlas test in that same series scheduled but it was canceled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm 
Legendary Overlord

another confirmed launch over Japan into the Pacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:18 am 
Site Admin

I wonder what would be the uproar if we fired a SLBM from the Sea of Japan, over Wonsan and Pyongyang, into Korea bay?

:twisted:

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm 

"I have no problem kicking it to Gen. Mattis because he has plenty of options." Nikki Haley

Fairly strong statement moving us closer to the inevitable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next