History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: USS Indianapolis found
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:56 am 

Paul Allan did it again.

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/19/uss-in ... kage-found

Quote:
Seventy-five years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sunk cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.

His twitter account https://twitter.com/PaulGAllen has pictures including the ship's bell and anchor.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

That's one I didn't think would ever be seen again. The image of her hull number is haunting. Lots of ghosts down there.

Inner Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm 
SAC-trained killer

Theodore wrote:
That's one I didn't think would ever be seen again. The image of her hull number is haunting. Lots of ghosts down there.

Literally sent a shiver down my spine.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Only a few images have been released so far, but I think we have another member of the lost cruiser bow club. One of the photos shows an anchor windlass and to the left of the picture, which is toward the stern, the bow has broken off, right about where (if I'm reading her plans correctly) there was a watertight bulkhead.

The hull number photo must show the port bow; one of the torpedo hits was reported to be at about frame 7, which is just aft (photo right) of the number, and I think some of the wreckage visible at right is part of the port bow that was blown out when the torpedo hit on the other side of the ship and blew a hole all the way through the narrow bow.

The bell photo shows the wreckage of the forward superstructure; I haven't figured out exactly where that bell was located, but there's a loudspeaker next to the bell and there appear to have been two of those in the forward superstructure, one abaft the mast and one on the forward face of the pilot house. The second torpedo hit was reported to be at frame 50, which is directly below the superstructure, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole fore part of the ship from the foremast to the point where the bow broke off is just a mass of wreckage. I wonder if they've found the main part of the hull yet.

Inner Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm 

She's apparently very well preserved (a few more pictures as well)

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/23/navy-u ... nvironment

Navy: USS Indianapolis Wreckage Well Preserved by Depth and Undersea Environment
By: Ben Werner
August 23, 2017 4:53 PM

The condition of USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the World War II-era cruiser preserved for 72 years at the bottom of the sea, has so far proved to be most surprising to researchers studying the wreckage site discovered earlier this week.

“The paint is still in place, like on the anchor and on parts of the ship. On the anchor, you can read Norfolk on there. You can read on boxes, on supply boxes, you can read Indianapolis and read very clearly what is on that box,” said Robert Neyland, Underwater Archeology Branch Head with the Naval History and Heritage Command.

During a Facebook LIVE discussion Wednesday, Neyland and Richard Hulver, a historian with the command, described their research used by billionaire philanthropist and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen used to find Indianapolis on Saturday.

Neyland explained the wreckage, more than 18,000 feet below the sea surface, is resting in a spot protected from currents, at a depth with low oxygen levels and little natural light. “This [was] one of the hardest shipwrecks in the world to find,” he said.

But the combination of circumstances making the search so difficult also means the wreckage is well preserved. Metal on the ship, based on the photos Allen’s team has released so far, doesn’t appear to be corroded. “Not much in the way of marine growth,” Neyland said

As Allen’s team releases more photos and video, Neyland said there will be more to talk about in terms of the ship’s condition and more about how its final moments.

Answering a question submitted during the LIVE event, Neyland said the wreckage’s final resting location also helps the long-term preservation of the site. Indianapolis is considered the property of the Navy and is by law considered a protected gravesite. But the extreme depth and rough undersea terrain make it very difficult to visit.

“Human divers cannot get to that depth,” Neyland said.

Allen’s team is working with the Navy to survey the site, and Neyland said is taking care in a very tough environment to not disturb the wreckage.

“This is an incredibly difficult survey, it’s like looking for something on the dark side of the Moon,” Neyland said.

Hulver, who is credited with discovering a long-overlooked clue to Indianapolis’ whereabouts, stressed how important it is to not forget the crew and the ship’s illustrious service.

Before the war, Indianapolis acted as a flagship for several years, even transporting President Franklin D. Roosevelt to South America as part of his “Good Neighbor” cruise in 1936, according to the NHHC. After the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Indianapolis was one of the first ships to respond, searching for enemy aircraft carriers thought to be nearby.

Hulver explained his first knowledge of Indianapolis’ story came through popular culture.

“Like many people out there, my initial introduction to the Indianapolis was ‘Jaws,’” Hulver said.

In the movie, fisherman Quint has a monologue detailing spending days in the water after Indianapolis went down, as sailors were attacked by sharks and succumbed to exhaustion.

“That was the time I was most frightened, waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a life jacket again,” says the character Quint, played by Robert Shaw in the 1975 film.

Hulver said the shark attacks get the most attention, probably because of the film, and are an important part of the story, but exhaustion and dehydration were also major reasons why only 316 of the 800 sailors who entered the water were rescued.

But Quint’s line also alludes to one of the lessons learned from the incident. Hulver said the lifejackets used by Indianapolis sailors were only designed to be used for about 48 hours. The sailors were in the water for much longer than that, “and they started to weigh the men down.”

Both Hulver and Neyland said the real story of Indianapolis is one of courage, both during the war, and after torpedoes from a Japanese submarine sank the ship. For example, Lt. Thomas Michael Conway, ship’s chaplain, continued tending to men in the water, Hulver said, giving last rights to those dying, before he eventually succumbed to exhaustion and drowned.

“Indianapolis was one of the most decorated warships in WWII,” Hulver said of the ship which earned 10 battle stars. “This rich history has been overshadowed by its last 15 minutes.”

Also, if you haven't seen it, here's the monologue from Robert Shaw in Jaws.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 am 
Site Admin

It's nice to see that she's well preserved. In contrast, it appears that the Titanic sank in the absolute pit of submarine corrosion.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

OK, the new pictures. The 5-inch mount and the 8-inch turret suggest they've found the main part of the hull - I expect the forward turrets are somewhere in the debris field and the turret shown is the after one. Paul Allen has also tweeted a photo of one of her Mark 33 5-inch directors, which appears to be lying on the bottom, and another photo which he describes as "torpedo damage to forward starboard section." It's closely cropped but a bit of the main deck is visible and there appears to be a large section of hull plating bent outward, extending all the way to the main deck. This part of the plating is missing most of its paint, in contrast to the adjacent plates, suggesting fire damage. It may be torpedo damage, damage from subsequent internal explosions, plating that was forced back as she broke up and sank, or some combination of these. We know that Indianapolis was destroyed very quickly, and this photo stands as evidence of how and why.

Inner Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm 

PBS hour special: