History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: P51s over Rotherham, UK?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:11 am 

This Wednesday at around ten past seven in the evening I got off the bus in Rotherham town centre to be welcomed by the sound of a RR merlin engine, a sound had I have many a time when the Daily Express used to sponsor the Fighter Meet at North Weald. Looking up expecting to see members of the BoB flight a saw the tail end of two fighter-size aircraft disappearing over the church in the rough direction of Lincolnshire. Not graceful enough to be a brace of Spitfires and too square cut to be hurricanes, the only alternative, given they were definately merlin-powered, has to be P51s.

Is there any way I can confirm this before I excitedly phone Dad and tell him his favourite fighter of all time flew over sunni rotherham?

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 am 

Andy L wrote:
This Wednesday at around ten past seven in the evening I got off the bus in Rotherham town centre to be welcomed by the sound of a RR merlin engine, a sound had I have many a time when the Daily Express used to sponsor the Fighter Meet at North Weald. Looking up expecting to see members of the BoB flight a saw the tail end of two fighter-size aircraft disappearing over the church in the rough direction of Lincolnshire. Not graceful enough to be a brace of Spitfires and too square cut to be hurricanes, the only alternative, given they were definately merlin-powered, has to be P51s.

Is there any way I can confirm this before I excitedly phone Dad and tell him his favourite fighter of all time flew over sunni rotherham?

hey could also be Bouchons, there are one or two left flying in Europe (Me.109s powered by Merlin).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 am 

On their way to the Southport Air Show? Or coming from the Clacton Air Show? I believe there are two P-51s flying out of North Weald and two more elsewhere in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
On their way to the Southport Air Show? Or coming from the Clacton Air Show? I believe there are two P-51s flying out of North Weald and two more elsewhere in the UK.

They'd be brave going to Southport, drop below 180IAS and the local chavs would have those prop spinners off before you could blink...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

They'd be brave going to Southport, drop below 180IAS and the local chavs would have those prop spinners off before you could blink...

Quite a few car bonnets made from wheel-well covers . . .

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)