History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

I was talking to my cousin about his step grandson in the army. He is a lieutenant in the Army. He just passed his rifle requalification. He was concerned that a shortage of ammunition prevented him from practicing on the firing range. When my cousin visited his step grandson, he was appalled at the poor condition of the buildings and vehicles. We have the money for a multi billion dollar cost overrun on the F35 but no money for training ammo. .Could this be true?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Probably. Routine stuff gets neglected all the time. When we went through basic rifle qualification ( on the Charleville Musket) we had very little practice firing. A day or two of instruction, a day of training firing, and fire for record.

Be sure to tell your cousin, that when he gets to his unit, to listen to his platoon sergeant, and not take his lofty rank too seriously. No one else will.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm 

edgeplay_cgo wrote:
Probably. Routine stuff gets neglected all the time. When we went through basic rifle qualification ( on the Charleville Musket) we had very little practice firing. A day or two of instruction, a day of training firing, and fire for record.

Be sure to tell your cousin, that when he gets to his unit, to listen to his platoon sergeant, and not take his lofty rank too seriously. No one else will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-hLyUZS9E :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:28 pm 

Charleville? Luxury! With that lovely brass muzzle cap to polish and your lockable bayonets...

When I did basic, we were only allowed long land pattern muskets, and only five barrel pins for the whole platoon...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:29 pm 

Craiglxviii wrote:
When I did basic, we were only allowed long land pattern muskets, and only five barrel pins for the whole platoon...

We would dream of land pattern firelocks! We had to use hand-gonnes and set light to our nose-hair to fire them. And we were grateful for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 pm 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:

We would dream of land pattern firelocks! We had to use hand-gonnes and set light to our nose-hair to fire them. And we were grateful for them.

What are these gonnes of which you speak. We only had heavy crossbows, requiring both hands and a foot to load. And we were grateful if we didn't get trampled by our own knights!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm 

Johnnie Lyle wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:

What are these gonnes of which you speak. We only had heavy crossbows, requiring both hands and a foot to load. And we were grateful if we didn't get trampled by our own knights!

What is "heavy crossbow?"

In my day, we have rocks. Rock good enough for grandfather, good enough for father, good enough for me, why for we need "heavy crossbows" or "gonnes?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:07 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:

So you had nose hair..? Luxury! In my day we were required to give it all up for mattress stuffings. But we never complained.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:

So you had nose hair..? Luxury! In my day we were required to give it all up for mattress stuffings. But we never complained.

Nose hair mattresses? HA! In my day, we stuffed our mattresses with rusty nails and shards of broken glass, if we were lucky!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:38 am 

HA! We only dreamed about stuffing our mattresses with rocks. They hadn't been invented yet! We had to make do with stardust. And we were happy about it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 am 

KDahm wrote:
HA! We only dreamed about stuffing our mattresses with rocks. They hadn't been invented yet! We had to make do with stardust. And we were happy about it!

Oooooh look at him with his fancy-Dan stardust. We were allowed- allowed, mind- to grovel for primordial gluons... and we always smiled.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 am 
Mockingbird

*grumble*

stupid young'uns talking about their big bang and all the stuff that happens when you make a hot dense state cool and diffuse.

"Hey, you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!"

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am 

Belushi TD wrote:
*grumble*

stupid young'uns talking about their big bang and all the stuff that happens when you make a hot dense state cool and diffuse.

Belushi TD

At least you had hot & dense... when we started off energy hadn't been invented. We had to make do without existence... you young 'uns don't know you're born I tell you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Belushi TD wrote:
*grumble*

Belushi TD

At least you had hot & dense... when we started off energy hadn't been invented. We had to make do without existence... you young 'uns don't know you're born I tell you.

"Make do without existence"? . . . you were lucky . . . we 'ad no such thing as existence to do without, we were lucky if we were allowed to do without the merest thought considering the possibility of crossing our minds.

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:29 am 

Andy L wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:
Belushi TD wrote:
*grumble*

Belushi TD

"Make do without existence"? . . . you were lucky . . . we 'ad no such thing as existence to do without, we were lucky if we were allowed to do without the merest thought considering the possibility of crossing our minds.

You had minds did you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 am 

Quote:
You had minds did you?

Oh aye, existential ones, mind . . . none of that 'real' la-de-da modern kids-stuff nonsense.

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)