History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Bernard Woolley wrote:
Re the joke sure it wasn't a case of one of the male officers trying to show off to the female? I.e 'hey, Amiga, watch this! :D

Ah but they wouldn't do that without the Commodore.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 am 

Quote:
Argentine research vessel Víctor Angelescu searching for missing submarine ARA San Juan, maps metallic object on sea bed matching approximate dimensions. Will be inspected by soon by US supplied ROV

Machine translated:
Quote:
ARA San Juan: expectation for an object found by the ship Angelescu
December 1, 2017, 7:05 p.m. • Politics > ARA San Juan

By Editorial La Voz and agency Télam
He would have identified a cylindrical object approximately 60 meters long and 13 meters in diameter. He did it on Thursday, at 7:32 in the morning. The Navy analyzes the finding.

At 7:32 am on Thursday, November 30, the research vessel Víctor Angelescu, of the National Institute for Fisheries Research and Development (Inidep), identified a cylindrical object approximately 60 meters long and 13 meters in diameter.

He found it 477 meters deep at 46º24.5 'south latitude and 60º11.7' west longitude.

The information was published by the specialized magazine Puerto Magazine , which adds that, by means of "the multibeam echo sounder, it was possible to observe an elongated sonar target located on the bottom with dimensions of approximately 62 meters in length; height above the bottom of 13 meters while the monohaz echo sounder reported 11 meters high on the bottom. "

The Argentine Navy had reported today that it analyzed four signs at the bottom of the sea, within the framework of the search for the submarine ARA San Juan , with 44 crew on board, who disappeared on November 15 in the South Atlantic.
But he clarified that there are no survivors' rescue teams left in the area.

The search operation already covered "practically 100 percent" of the planned raking area, but no traces of the ship that disappeared 16 days ago have yet been identified, they clarified.

Yes, there were "six contacts", of which two were discarded and four remain pending verification, informed the spokesman of the Navy, Enrique Balbi, at the headquarters of the force in Buenos Aires.

One of them would be Víctor Angelescu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 pm 

A Russian rov took pictures and ID'ed as a fishing vessel.

https://www.clarin.com/sociedad/submari ... R_xWM.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 am 

In the aftermath of the loss of the San Juan, submarine rescue is again getting a push as it did following the Kursk loss.
Today the Netherlands and Sweden signed a submarine search, escape and rescue agreement.

Quote:
Signed an important agreement with my Swedish colleague today on submarine rescue operations. Dutch boat crews can now train the full escape routine thanks to #HSwMSBelos and her professional crew. Relevant in view of #SanJuan drama, we need this kind of training!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:03 pm 

Argentine is on the tail of the party responsible for the loss of the sub: Ze Germanz!

Yes, they say we did it. The sub was modernized in 2011. Allegedly bribes were paid. An allegation I find reasonable considering corruption in Argentine is “not unheard of”. But the Argentinians also allege the modernization was probably botched, because substandard batteries from a third country might have been installed. And this is in their mind making the German firms responsible for her loss. And not insufficient crew training and maintenance since the modernisation.

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/u-boot-125.html

And apparently we are also responsible for their torps not hitting during the Falklands War. Go us! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:10 pm 

Oh No! Just seen an allegation the submarine had been chased by a 'British helicopter'!

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/arg ... &ocid=iehp

I wondered when that type of story would come up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:40 am 

Argie default position: When in doubt blame Britain.

Never mind that the nearest RN ASW capable helicopter is thousands of miles away. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 am 

Bernard Woolley wrote:

Never mind that the nearest RN ASW capable helicopter is thousands of miles away. :D

Only shows how good they are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 am 

Well, the RN did supposedly claim that they didn't need LRMPA cover because a Merlin could do anything a Nimrod could....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am 

Bernard Woolley wrote:

Never underestimate the morsle power of a STINGRAY. or should that be Sting Ray? Or... Stingray... Stingray?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 am 

Craiglxviii wrote:
Never underestimate the morsle power of a STINGRAY. or should that be Sting Ray? Or... Stingray... Stingray?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

pdf27 wrote:
Craiglxviii wrote:

Anything can happen in the next half-hour!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:33 pm 

The head of the Argentine Navy was sacked yesterday over this.

I only wonder that it took this long and if he was on gardening leave while they investigated and made the decision.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:02 pm 

KDahm wrote:

I only wonder that it took this long and if he was on gardening leave while they investigated and made the decision.

I wonder if they left him a pistol and bottle of whisky and he didn't take the hint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 am 

KDahm wrote:

What I've heard is he was asked to resign and refused, so he got sacked. As for the timing, they probably waited for the furor of the accident to die down a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 pm 

Seems to be confirmed that it was a very rapid end at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

At least it was quick. RIP, Sailors. My prayers and condolences to your relatives, friends, and former shipmates. The tavern on Fiddler's Green will pipe you aboard.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm 
Mockingbird

Am I correct in understanding that there isn't a hull left anymore to find on side scan? Or would there be enough signature from the engines and such that they could ID the wreck?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 pm 

Belushi TD wrote:
Am I correct in understanding that there isn't a hull left anymore to find on side scan? Or would there be enough signature from the engines and such that they could ID the wreck?

Belushi TD

I would say that there is probably a debris field down there but very little that is immediately recognizable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6