History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Hunt For Red October
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Re-watched this one tonight - my wife had never seen it and it's well outside of her usual taste in movies, so I had to explain a lot of stuff, but she enjoyed it well enough. I think it holds up pretty well - if they made it today it would have way more explosions and an unnecessary love interest, but fortunately it was made before those things became de rigueur, so instead we get submarines charging around underwater, some good Russian music, and Sean Connery's atrocious Russian accent (my wife says even when he's speaking English he needs subtitles.) Still a good story and for those of us who remember the Cold War it's a nice piece of 1980s nostalgia.

Inner Columnist

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:25 am 

It would still have been nice to see Montana.

(He saw Neptune’s orbit instead and became Slaanesh...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:12 am 

I'm dreading Amazon Prime's "Jack Ryan" to a fair degree.

I think John Krazynski is a good pick for Ryan. I like the idea of Wendell Pierce ("Bunk" from "The Wire") as a younger Greer. But they missed the opportunity.

They could have started with "Patriot Games" and done it as a limited series. Then to go "Red Rabbit," "Red October," and so on. Doing each novel as a limited series would have set them up nicely for the Emmys for limited series.

Dilbert
October 20, 2016

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 am 
SAC-trained killer

..."Red October" still does very, very well - the only real change I would have preferred is the book's ending (when Red October pulls into port) instead of the movie ending. Other than that, well done.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 am 

One of the best military movies of all time. I too think it has aged quite well in comparison to others (for some reason I have to think of Top Gun now...yuck).

A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:41 pm 

I love this movie, my only quibble is Dr. Crusher as Cathy Ryan. Nothing against Gates McFadden (sp?), but she's just off in something like this.

That said, to me, HFRO is the gold standard for Cold War movies, which are sadly a lost art and for someone like me (I was four when the wall came down) the only way to experience at least a smidgen of the world was it was back then.

Also, anything that has the eternal James Earl Jones in it wins on that fact alone.

Top Gun I like for it's cheese factor and 80sness.

-Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm 

trekchu wrote:

Top Gun ages acceptably. Still cheesy, but it's still fun.

For a fighter movie that hasn't aged well, try Iron Eagle. Or for the masochists, Iron Eagle 2 or 3.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Talking about cheese, I was in DC about the time of Top Gun. I was on the Metro, and this college aged kid came up to this young woman on the train, and did the "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" stunt. He got her phone number, too. :roll:

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:46 pm 

clancyphile wrote:
I think John Krazynski is a good pick for Ryan. I like the idea of Wendell Pierce ("Bunk" from "The Wire") as a younger Greer. But they missed the opportunity.

Alec Baldwin really was the best Jack Ryan we've had so far. Harrison Ford was...well, too 'weathered' to be convincing. He would have worked for President Ryan, but not Agent Ryan. (Apparently Baldwin was on Broadway when Patriot Games was being filmed, although he blames the producers for not being back...). The less said about Ben Affleck, the better, and Chris Pine? Not really...

(Affleck aside, I thought Liev Schreiber did work well as Mister Clark.)

Quote:
They could have started with "Patriot Games" and done it as a limited series. Then to go "Red Rabbit," "Red October," and so on. Doing each novel as a limited series would have set them up nicely for the Emmys for limited series.

Which well illustrates why Amazon Prime is not yet Netflix.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

October is excellent with great effects. I think its fortunate that it came before CGI became prevalent.

Not that I hate CGI, but it's become such a crutch. I recently watched Terminator 2 recently and loved seeing how much it was used as polish or in places where things simply couldn't have been done otherwise.

When T1000 gets frozen and broken they found a way to use practical effects to show him bringing himself back together. Today they'd just just kept using CGI and had fake looking little blobs glooping together instead of the eerie way the mercury did.

KDahm wrote:
trekchu wrote:

Top Gun ages acceptably. Still cheesy, but it's still fun.

For a fighter movie that hasn't aged well, try Iron Eagle. Or for the masochists, Iron Eagle 2 or 3.

For me it hasn't aged well outside besides the above mentioned cheese and 80ness.

Even as a kid I enjoyed it more for the character interaction than the "action" scenes. Knowing enough about planes then it was deflating to see the enemy aircraft being nothing more than F-5s and combat just being aircraft swaying back an forth within shot of each other without any actual fighting taking place.

I've always had a bit of trouble watching a lot of older war movies for much the same reason, like ones in the 60s and 70s that clearly were using old Allied tanks as Panzers or having combat scenes that make no tactical sense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

We tried to watch Top Gun last night but only made it 15 or 20 minutes before the awful dialogue and general cheesiness got to be too much.

Inner Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 pm 

Ah, the power of cheese! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 am 

Top Gun had the better movie, Iron Eagle 1 & 2 had the better soundtracks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:21 am 

Poohbah wrote:
Top Gun had the better movie, Iron Eagle 1 & 2 had the better soundtracks

Time to explain why Doug Masters was the better fighter jock:
http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/ ... n-maverick

Dilbert
October 20, 2016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:32 am 

What they really should do is make a miniseries of "Red Storm Rising"...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

I will second that motion. RSR on, say, HBO or STARZ.

Old USMC Adage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm 
SAC-trained killer

Matt Wiser wrote:
I will second that motion. RSR on, say, HBO or STARZ.

...I heard a rumor yearsandyearsandyearsandyears ago that supposedly one of the networks was looking at an RSR six-night 'event' when the Soviets went and gave up. Definitely wasn't ABC, they lost money on Amerika and weren't inclined to try again.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:42 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

Back on topic, I watched Red October around Christmas and found myself loving every bit of it even more, especially the US military scenes that have characters that feel like actors actually trying to be real military personnel that even later movies like Saving Private Ryan failed at.

One thing I did find funny was the name of the political officer and how a scenes tone can become amusing with the passage of time:

"Putin could have caused..... complications."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am 

Oh for the love of god, yes. I had utterly forgotten that part and I don't even have this one on BluRay yet. TO AMAZON!

-Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm 

I just rewatched this and found that I still know the dialogue by heart O_o

A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'