History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:01 pm 
Mockingbird

Yeah, I got that the first set of descriptors were talking about an X-12 rather than a V-12 or straight 12 engine. It was the combination of that with the turbine that threw me.

Is it possible that the turbine part refers to the super/turbo charger?

Belushi TD

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm 

Parsing it, what about a "gas turbine supercharger", similar to a rocket engine pump.

Spin up a small gas turbine, something like 10 or 30 hp, set up as a turboshaft. Grab the intake air from the intake manifold, dump the exhaust into the main exhaust. Use the power shaft to drive a supercharger for the main engine. I'd have to work through the compression ratios to see how effective it would be, and there would likely be some degree of turbo lag, but it would be a neat single box solution to compressing the intake air. Just provide a gas line and electrical power for starting, instead of having to fiddle with a PTO for a normal supercharger or exhaust manifold hi-jinks for a turbocharger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 pm 

I realize the Stryker armored fighting vehicle is not a tank but one variation of the Stryker family is the M1128 Mobile Gun System. Can the experience with this weapon system be applied to an evaluation of the T-14.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1128_Mobile_Gun_System

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 pm 

KDahm wrote:
Parsing it, what about a "gas turbine supercharger", similar to a rocket engine pump.

Spin up a small gas turbine, something like 10 or 30 hp, set up as a turboshaft. Grab the intake air from the intake manifold, dump the exhaust into the main exhaust. Use the power shaft to drive a supercharger for the main engine. I'd have to work through the compression ratios to see how effective it would be, and there would likely be some degree of turbo lag, but it would be a neat single box solution to compressing the intake air. Just provide a gas line and electrical power for starting, instead of having to fiddle with a PTO for a normal supercharger or exhaust manifold hi-jinks for a turbocharger.

I'm probably wrong but it sounds like its using some of the same concepts of the turbo-compound engines post-WW2? Instead of the reciprocating engine driving the compressor you have a mini gas turbine doing it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine

What kind of advantages would this design have over the standard gas turbine?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 am 

I'd assume it'd be fuel consumption. Gas turbines are thirsty, thirsty buggers (note Stu's comments on why gas turbine propulsion for merchant ships has never caught on aside from LNG tankers, which use burnoff that would otherwise be 100% wasted for fuel), and as I recall the Abrams takes a significant range penalty on account of said thirst.

If you have a turbine-compound supercharger, it lets you 'cruise' with piston-engine efficiency, and you can 'kick in' the supercharger when you need to execute a tactical GTFO Maneuver. If the supercharger is only intended to be used in extremis, having it not mechanically geared to the engine has advantages, as KDahm pointed out - also, I wonder if it allows for easier 'fine tuning' of boost. Instead of selecting from a few gear settings for your boost, you can more or less infinitely throttle the turbine if you only need a little, or a lot, of boost at the moment.

Also, I can see it having the ability to be used as an APU; if you're sitting around in a laager and don't plan to move the tank all night, you can run the turbine to generate power without putting wear and tear on the main engine.

The catch, of course, is that (AFAIK) nobody has actually done this before, so you're potentially opening up cans labeled 'here be dragon-worms'.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm 

The Bushranger wrote:
The catch, of course, is that (AFAIK) nobody has actually done this before, so you're potentially opening up cans labeled 'here be dragon-worms'.

The French have, in the so-called 'Hyperbar' X8 on the Leclerc. It does seem to offer the best of both worlds, subject to cost and reliability concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 pm 

I'm pretty sure that if the T-14 had some novel power plant they'd be hyping it as much as they're hyping everything else. The blurb provides accurate but unconventional description of an intercooled turbodiesel. It is not a description of a turbo-compound engine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:08 am 
Mockingbird

So its a translation thing then?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:22 am 

Belushi TD wrote:
So its a translation thing then?

Possibly but its a common thing for "official" pieces of trade literature to describe existing technology using an unconventional vocabulary, usually preceded by the words "new and radical" (which means we finally caught up with everybody else) often supplemented by the word "revolutionary" (meaning "it doesn't work yet") For example, the French described one of their air-to-air missiles as having a "new and revolutionary electromagnetic guidance system" which turned out to be a bog-standard semi-active radar homing system that had been in service with everybody else for almost a decade. It was new to them though since their previous attempt at a radar homing missile was a beam-rider. The Germans did the same thing when they announced their "new and revolutionary 'far-field magnetics' submarine location system. It was a fairly standard MAD system although it did have a twist than made it a bit more sensitive than most. That wasn't necessarily a good thing though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 am 

Francis Urquhart wrote:
The Germans did the same thing when they announced their "new and revolutionary 'far-field magnetics' submarine location system. It was a fairly standard MAD system although it did have a twist than made it a bit more sensitive than most. That wasn't necessarily a good thing though.

Let me guess: gain in sensitivty at the cost of ability to discrimnate between magnetic anomalies that are viable targets and magnetic anomalies other than viable targets?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 am 

Poohbah wrote:
Let me guess: gain in sensitivty at the cost of ability to discrimnate between magnetic anomalies that are viable targets and magnetic anomalies other than viable targets?

Bullseye. Also, detected a lot of minor contacts that clogged up the tactical picture while they were being classified.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:04 pm 

RLBH wrote:
The French have, in the so-called 'Hyperbar' X8 on the Leclerc. It does seem to offer the best of both worlds, subject to cost and reliability concerns.

According to the Hunnicutt book on tanks its fuel consumption is much higher than anticipated when it was designed. So much so that the export versions have gone for the MTU powerpacks now becoming pretty much standard (Leopard, Korean Kx, New Japanese one & Turkish Altay).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:34 am 

Poohbah wrote:
DaveAAA wrote:
It seems the two biggest advantages the T-14 may have over current Western tanks is the unmanned turret and active defence system. I'm not sold on the unmanned turret. Having a crew commander with eyes open still provides unparalleled situational awareness. Active defences can be installed on Abrams and Leos as easily as on Armatas. The electronics suites of the latest versions of those vehicles are much improved over those of thirty-five years ago already.

The unmanned turret (and, hence, smaller crew size) is not an advantage. Tanks need maintenance. Complicated gizmos usually require more maintenance man-hours. Less bodies to pull maintenance on more complex kit equals insanely more work per crew member.

My wonder here is what exactly is the point of a turret if it is unmanned?

"Never trust anything you have to sign for. Look what happened to Neville Chamberlain...."
(Albert Arkright, as reported by Gerald Whiley)

"Leave Us . . . We Are DECORATING!" (Miss Quill, as recounted by Katherine Kelly)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 am 

The turret is smaller, therefore it lowers the tank profile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Andy L wrote:
My wonder here is what exactly is the point of a turret if it is unmanned?

It allows the gun to be trained and elevated, independently of the orientation of the tank hull.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
-Sir Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 pm 

Speaking of new Russian kit, the first remanufactured Tu-160 had it's maiden flight on Thursday - new avionics, engines and airframe modifications.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 am 
Mockingbird

Is the Tu-160 the Russian equivalent of the B-1? Swing wing, supersonic, that sort of thing?

Belushi TD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:33 pm 

Belushi TD wrote:
Is the Tu-160 the Russian equivalent of the B-1? Swing wing, supersonic, that sort of thing?

Belushi TD

Very roughly yes. However the Tu-160 is considerably bigger, faster, and newer than the B-1B. On the other hand I think something like only 30 were ever made and Russian has less than 20 now IIRC.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:21 pm 

Calder wrote:
Very roughly yes. However the Tu-160 is considerably bigger, faster, and newer than the B-1B. On the other hand I think something like only 30 were ever made and Russian has less than 20 now IIRC.

36 built (nine prototypes and 27 production aircraft), of which 11 production aircraft were scrapped by Ukraine and one crashed leaving 15. One prototype was brought up to full operational status returning the Russian fleet to 16. Two additional aircraft have been built since then. Currently, the planned production rate is reportedly two aircraft per year for a final fleet of 50,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:20 pm 

There’s also been a first flight of the modernized IL-78M aerial refueling tanker.

Quote:
VIDEO Maiden flight of modernized IL-78 aerial refueling tanker

January 29, 2018

A heavily modernized version of the iconic Il-78 aerial fuel tanker plane has performed its maiden flight. The plane boasts new engines and wings, as well as an increased flight range and fuel capacity.

The new plane, named Il-78M-90A, successfully took to the skies for the very first time on January 25. The plane was designed by the Ilyushin Aviation Complex and manufactured by Aviastar-SP in the city of Ulyanovsk.

The new plane is fitted with new wings and modern PS-90A-76 engines, which are more powerful and some 14 percent more fuel-efficient than those of the Soviet-era models. The new machine therefore boasts a larger flight range and can carry more juice to refuel other planes.

The Il-78M-90A has also retained an important perk from the original Il-78, as it can easily be converted into a general-purpose transport plane in the field. The aircraft can also be fitted with fire-extinguishing equipment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next