History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: World Cup
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:02 pm 

Brazil 3 - 1 Croatia

All I can say is the refereeing better be better for the rest of the tournament and not be so pro-Brazil. I mean c'mon...that penalty award....really?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: World Cup
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:31 pm 

That referee was the same one for the match in which Brazil got eliminated form the 2010 World Cup. There, he had a dreadful showing, disregarding a Netherlands foul inside the penalty area, among other errors. I think he was(probably unconsciously) willing to err on Brazil's side when in doubt(it would've been better if he managed to become more competent, especially as he's a professional referee).

That being said, Brazil did as well as I expected. There's room for improvement, of course, but it was decent as a debut.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 pm 

Decent as a debut? If Brazil keep on playing like that, they will almost certainly not hoist the cup in five weeks. I do jot want to see them as cup wnners. Nor England, the Netherlands or Italy.

A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:49 pm 

Well hopefully Finland gets it then....oh wait they didn't qualify :D

I have to say all 3 goals for Brazil relied heavily on a sloppy croatian goalie as well.

Hopefully Brazil gets rid of the nerves and plays the fleet footed football they are known for.

I just want good matches....don't care who wins.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 am 

The days of the Brazilian team's "jogo bonito" are gone. They are much more workmanlike and rely on the occasional flash of brilliance from people like Neymar. Interestingly, German football enjoys a high degree of respect and even admiration in Brazil. It goes so far as to see germany as the most likely contender for the title next to brazil.

The 2006 and 2010 World Cups are to thank for that, I think.

A Missouri man had once written the Confederate[s] that all they had to do to get rid of the St. Louis Unionists was to destroy the breweries and seize all the beer: 'By this, the Dutch will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this state.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:39 am 

I'll just leave this here:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:22 am 

'Murica!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:22 am 

Jotun wrote:
Decent as a debut? If Brazil keep on playing like that, they will almost certainly not hoist the cup in five weeks.

Decent as a debut, yes. Brazilian debuts on World Cups, especially recent ones(1990 onwards), are almost always bad, even though they tend to be victories. This one wasn't as bad as most of them.

BTW, I expect this team to reach the semifinals. I don't expect it to win the Cup(there is a chance of winning, of course, but right now I wouldn't bet on it).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:44 am 

Sukhoiman wrote:
'Murica!

:lol: :lol: Indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 am 

gral wrote:
Jotun wrote:
Decent as a debut? If Brazil keep on playing like that, they will almost certainly not hoist the cup in five weeks.

Decent as a debut, yes. Brazilian debuts on World Cups, especially recent ones(1990 onwards), are almost always bad, even though they tend to be victories. This one wasn't as bad as most of them.

BTW, I expect this team to reach the semifinals. I don't expect it to win the Cup(there is a chance of winning, of course, but right now I wouldn't bet on it).

Of course Brazil will at least reach the semifinals. The refs will be briefed accordingly :evil:
A team only marginally better than Croatia would have dismantled Brazil yesterday. In any case, I do not get the hype about the Brazilian team any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:25 pm 

Dutch doing a clinical job against the Spanish here...after the Spanish were up 1-0....its now 3-1 in Hollands favour.

Great game by the Dutch so far.

Spanish almost got it to 3-2 as I type this haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:31 pm 

4-1 as the Spanish Goalie blunders hahahaha....ouch.

5-1 now....hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:55 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worst Dutch team in 30 years and they defeat Spain with 5-1. Speechless is an understatement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:54 pm 

Chile 3 - 1 Australia

Fun little match to watch....the Aussies had some good spirit to come back from 2-0....and were even close to equalising....then the Chileans finally took it away from them at the end.

Would like to see this quality of football to be the minimum in the tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:55 pm 

Jotun wrote:
Of course Brazil will at least reach the semifinals. The refs will be briefed accordingly :evil:
A team only marginally better than Croatia would have dismantled Brazil yesterday. In any case, I do not get the hype about the Brazilian team any more.

You may have concluded(correctly) from my first posting in this thread I attribute the debacle in Thursday's match to referee incompetence rather than malice. Given the Cameroon x Mexico match today, I think I have some vindication on that. Of course, they might select crappy referees(or ones that give in easily to pressure from spectators) for all of Brazil's matches on purpose...

As for not getting the hype about the Brazilian team, it's OK, I never got it either... This is a team that only did really well at the Confederations' Cup final match. We have good players, but exceptional is something this team definitely isn't. There's two big things that favor the Brazilian team:

1) Brazilian teams tend to get better as they progress in the World Cup; case in point, the 2002 World Cup where the debut was Brazil 2x1 Turkey, coming from behind with an invented penalty call giving Brazil the winning score. The Brazilian team that beat Germany in the finals did much better than it did in that pathetic showing;

2) I don't see the other teams doing much better. If Brazil is underwhelming, the other teams by and large are in the same boat.

And Chile just won over Australia, 3x1. Good game, although it should've ended 2x2(like Brazil x Croatia).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:56 am 

Australias world cup is more aout 2018. The previous coaches had stuck with the 2006 WC golden generation 3 years too long and the qualification matches and friendlies in the last 18 months were ringing alarm bells for old tired legs. They appointed a new coach last year, sacked the majority of the golden generation players and started rebuilding, effectively only five matches ago. The new squad is much younger, and much more reliant on the Australian domestic league.

There are still a couple of 34 year olds, Breciano and Cahill especially, and from todays match they more than belong. Cahill is deadly in the air, and Breciano can still control the mid field. The rest of them looked like dear in the headlights for the first twenty minutes v Chile, and it cost them 2 early goals. The rest of the match was much more impressive. Leckie especially in todays game looks like future gold at 23 years of age.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:37 pm 

The Azurri beat England 2-1.....wheeeee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:51 pm 

The Swiss beat Ecuador in stoppage time 2 -1 (though they were denied a clear goal earlier when they were wrongly deemed offside).

Exciting World cup so far, no draws!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:10 pm 

Argentina 2x1 Bosnia. Bosnia did well, while Argentina played poorly in the first half and got better in the second one. Bosnia should be the runner up in this group, facing either France(more likely, IMO) or Switzerland in the Round of 16.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:22 pm 

So far Brazil and Argentina have been pretty underwhelming...and Spain a complete disaster. France, Italy and England have been about par.

I think Germany, Holland and a couple dark horses like say Switzerland and Colombia can do very well this tournament.

Should be a fun one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next