History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Battletechs back!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:46 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

Looks like it's aiming for the old turn based with RPG elements style where you RP a group of mercs and get to pick who you help and what mission you take on. Also seems to be before the Clan invasion, which most people are downright sick of by now.

http://battletechgame.com/

I think it's safe to say that anyone on here will be rooting for House Steiner. :D

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Battletechs back!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:38 pm 

Not safe at all; Davion, myself.

although that was a long time ago, and I got fed up with the 'because' of the game engine in which everything was just so, defying engineering, logic and common sense, for the almighty goal of balance. The ruleset only made sense in a parallel universe, I swear...

but it wouldn't be Battletech without the absurdities and gameisms, would it? Without the invisible loading mechanisms and two calibres long heavy autocannon, without the dozens of little dots of armour and not actually having to account for muscle mass, without the fact that all the effort to make it balance cancelled out and it really didn't, without the general four significant figure results from order of magnitude data feel of it all?

Still, as a computer game, a lot of the nuts and bolts get hidden. Yay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:56 pm 

It took me a while to realize that the quirks were to balance out a role playing system, and less for realism. Probably would have helped if they'd started with a 10,000 meter base rather than a 1000 meter limit. It would have made the ranges much more realistic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:36 pm 

Kunkmiester wrote:
It took me a while to realize that the quirks were to balance out a role playing system, and less for realism. Probably would have helped if they'd started with a 10,000 meter base rather than a 1000 meter limit. It would have made the ranges much more realistic.

I agree. From a realism base, the 1000 meter maximum range, because "targeting computers were very difficult to make", just was difficult to choke down. The rest of the system semi-sort-of made sense and could be justified.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:33 am 

The table-top RPG was worse than the original wargame, heck if a character was wearing light leather armour, there was a good chance they would survive a direct hit from an anti-mech missile...

It was just awful (we discarded the rules in the end, after a player tried to execute an NPC hostage by putting a double barreled shotgun to its head, rolled for damage, and got a grazing wound on a half decent roll)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:50 am 

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that anyone on here will be rooting for House Steiner.

Restore the Star League! House Cameron forever! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:58 pm 

Meh! Civil War and unrest for everyone! We of House Marik like our politics Balkenized with more than a smattering of gunfire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:24 pm 

Those petty house feuds... how quaint. We of ComStar are above such schemes.

ComStar is the only hope of preserving the future of human beings in the Inner Sphere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:32 pm 

Davion fields the most Warhammers, and that's where my heart lies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:36 am 

Marauders were my fave in the PC shooters. Always found it rather frustrating that so much volume was left empty. Few mech's could be loaded with what I thought was a decent loadout.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 am 

Quote:
We of ComStar are above such schemes.

"Hi, we're the Word of Blake, and we'd like to talk to *you* about Jihad!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:26 pm 

ATMahan wrote:
Quote:
We of ComStar are above such schemes.

"Hi, we're the Word of Blake, and we'd like to talk to *you* about Jihad!"

"The infidels are committing suicide by the hundreds on the gates of Terra. Be assured, Terra is safe, protected."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:53 pm 

The SHD-2K was a Kurita variant, sure, but I flew one for many years in service to House Davion and later the Federated Commonwealth. I was something of an artist with it. I liked the Shadowhawk as she was a good jack of all trades Mech. Suited my playing and RPG style.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:28 pm 
SAC-trained killer

...House Steiner myself, back in the day.....

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:39 am 

Waarthog wrote:
The SHD-2K was a Kurita variant, sure, but I flew one for many years in service to House Davion and later the Federated Commonwealth. I was something of an artist with it. I liked the Shadowhawk as she was a good jack of all trades Mech. Suited my playing and RPG style.

The ShadowHawk was a good mech, indeed there were a number of good mechs in the 50t range. I suppose its the weight range where movement is still good, yet you can carry enough armour, a single heavy (non energy) weapon (assuming 3025 tech levels) and still have a bit of space for some useful secondary armament.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:53 am 

Justin Andrews wrote:
The ShadowHawk was a good mech, indeed there were a number of good mechs in the 50t range. I suppose its the weight range where movement is still good, yet you can carry enough armour, a single heavy (non energy) weapon (assuming 3025 tech levels) and still have a bit of space for some useful secondary armament.

In a nutshell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm 

Something I had mused on a bit was a home made game scenario with an alien or far-detached human encounter, where super tanks were built. The tanks would literally be mech sized tanks, with a tank style single main weapon and limited secondary armament, the heavier ones might be more along the lines of something like the Command and Conquer super tanks with two main weapons.

They would be weighed so that while the fewer heavier weapons do much more damage, a unit of the tanks would be roughly equivalent to a unit of mechs in the same weight range. Thought that might be amusing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:26 pm 

Waarthog wrote:
Justin Andrews wrote:

In a nutshell

55 ton.

For my money it was the Thunderbolt. Could take a smacking and give it right back. Had to be careful with the heat though...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:10 pm 

Kunkmiester wrote:
Something I had mused on a bit was a home made game scenario with an alien or far-detached human encounter, where super tanks were built. The tanks would literally be mech sized tanks, with a tank style single main weapon and limited secondary armament, the heavier ones might be more along the lines of something like the Command and Conquer super tanks with two main weapons.

They would be weighed so that while the fewer heavier weapons do much more damage, a unit of the tanks would be roughly equivalent to a unit of mechs in the same weight range. Thought that might be amusing.

I recall a 100-ton tank with two AC/20s from the 3026 Tech Readout. Also, I'm reminded of a minis scenario where everyone got 100 tons of whatever (back when the Clans were still A Thing), and one guy took 20 Savannah Masters, ran them flat-out, and cleaned house.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:03 am 

When the Clans turned up the game got a bit broken, I knocked up a daft little mech with half a ton of armour, XL engines, MASC, basically all the new toys. The stupid little thing was actually capable of running OUT of the range of nearly all weapons in a single turn (if it lost initiative) otherwise you just ran round to the back of the mech you were fighting, and chipped very slowly away at the rear armour.

But yeah, the Savannah Master swarm was a well known trick, so much so that I believe later TRO's referenced it.

I still have boxes of Battletech books at home.

Quote:
55 ton.

Agreed as well, its a strange Lance where I don't pick something from the 45-55 ton range. My usual mix is one light, two mediums and a Warhammer... ;)