History, Politics And Current Affairs

Opinions expressed here are personal views of contributors and do not necessarily represent the companies, organizations or governments they work for. Nor do they necessarily represent those of the Board Administration.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm 

Screw that
I AM NOT watching the pilot
Or anything else

I WILL watch Orville

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm 

KenH wrote:
Screw that
I AM NOT watching the pilot
Or anything else

I WILL watch Orville

Watched it last night. Saw reviews complaining of sexist, and misogynistic jokes. Must have missed them. :?:

Not sure if I'll watch. Mythbuster reruns on Science Channel might get the click (they weren't on last night).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm 

I watched Orville, it seems to be pretty entertaining. I think I'll keep on watching it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm 

Micael wrote:
I watched Orville, it seems to be pretty entertaining. I think I'll keep on watching it.

For a parody show, they sure are treating it with a lot of detail and just cool.
Security Chief carrying handcuffs and actually competent? The nerve!
Shields that when finally fail , offer no protection at all, unlike a certain other series(s)...

And a nice touch that shows the level of detail; notice the model on the Captain's desk? It's small , so I had to look twice. It's the Wright Flyer -- Like, ORVILLE Wright. I love these guys.. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 pm 

I enjoyed Orville, though with the reviews coming in fairly negative I'm not sure it will be around for too long. It'd be nice if it stuck around, there are not many shows I want to watch anymore.

Part of me hopes we are just reading too much in to the comments about Star Trek Discovery and that it will actually be decent, but beyond their forced social commentary there is not much news coming out of the production that makes me feel hopeful. I was at a showing of Wrath of Khan last night and I had a left wing acquaintance of mine also comment that Discovery was looking like crap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 pm 

I enjoyed Orville, (It had me at "Are there any strip clubs?") which surprised me since I do not enjoy Seth Macfarlane much. I'm skeptical they can sustain a long series with it, but I hope it succeeds if only because I think it offends the right people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 pm 
Official Board Weasel Nut

I can't watch Orville simply because it has MacFarlane's face in it. I just cannot looking at it without wanting to punch the screen it's on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:50 pm 

Rafferty wrote:
I enjoyed Orville, though with the reviews coming in fairly negative I'm not sure it will be around for too long. It'd be nice if it stuck around, there are not many shows I want to watch anymore.

Part of me hopes we are just reading too much in to the comments about Star Trek Discovery and that it will actually be decent, but beyond their forced social commentary there is not much news coming out of the production that makes me feel hopeful. I was at a showing of Wrath of Khan last night and I had a left wing acquaintance of mine also comment that Discovery was looking like crap.

It's the ratings that will make the deal; reviews are mostly retarded on a good day

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:57 pm 

Just watched the first episode of Orville. It was Ok, but not more than that. The tone seemed a bit uneven, but perhaps it will find itself. I'll watch the enxt one, at least. Adrianne Palicki did provide excellent fanservice, though. Her stance when firing her pistol really emphasized her assets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 pm 

Ok, just saw the 2nd episode of the Orville. I genuinely liked it more then almost any Star Trek episode I've seen since DS9 (And DS9 was more Babylon 5 then normal trek). And honestly, other then a few off color jokes, I could actually see this as a TNG episode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:01 pm 

I've caught up on the Orville. I think my favorite character so far is the chief of security, anyone who deals with command anxiety by shotting tequila is okay in my book. :D ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 pm 

The gelatinous guy is great.

"We are not even compatible."

"There is more where that came from." :D

"Get out!!" :shock:

"Great, so it's me and the toothpaste again." :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 pm 

M.Becker wrote:
The gelatinous guy is great.

"We are not even compatible."

"There is more where that came from." :D

"Get out!!" :shock:

"Great, so it's me and the toothpaste again." :(

Hehe, yeah his pickup schtick needs some work. :D
Actually the majority of the characters seems to be falling into place, the good doctor is a tad boring though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 am 

I saw Orville for the first time last night (first episode only). Started off neutral began to get hooked about half-way through and by the end I really liked it. The first thing was that the characters actually were people. They weren't interchangeable 2D cardboard cutouts. They actually had people-issues. In Star Trek one can take the dialog from one character, transfer it to another and not notice the difference (in fact one can do that with entire series).

It was also fun spotting the actors who turn up in different series. They've trawled The Big Bang Theory quite extensively. And the Expanse (which I found brilliant by the way and not just because Chrisjen Avasarala behaves like The Ambassador and speaks with Angel's voice).

There was something more though. As I watched the first episode, it became nostalgically familiar and I couldn't figure out why. Then, about a third of the way through it hit me; they had picked up the spirit of TOS that was lost afterwards. The writers and cast were having fun and wanting the audience to do the same was a big part of that. Without the everlasting moralizing and pseudo-philosophical crap that TNG et al spewed out, it was actually enjoyable to watch. I found I actually cared about the Orville and her crew. It may be a parody but it actually has virtues far beyond that. I'll be catching up over the next few days. I do hope it holds its standards or even improves. Lucifer started well and got (much) better so this may do the same.

Last edited by Francis Urquhart on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am 

KenH wrote:
I'm sorry, did I miss the chapter on where CIA tried to wipe out an entire race of people?? Because Section 31 DID
And use a disease to influence the direction and actions of a nation-state with biological weapons? Because Section 31 DID

That's just two of their greatest hits we know of
Trying to retconn them as something good is retard dialed to 13

From a dramatic perspective, they have to because "The Federation" with its idiotic ideology would not survive any kind of conflict against a half-way competent opponent. They have to have a savior who will do hideous things in order to even up the balance. Without them Federation vs (well, anybody) is a bit like the Amish vs Sixth Guards Tank Army.

Herein shortest crossover story around. Enterprise from STNG meets Showgirl.

Picard: "Stand down your weapons or I will open fire on a count of five. One . . . two . . . . three . . . four. . . all right, lets negotia .. . "

Showgirl swerves away from the spreading cloud of radioactive debris that used to be the Enterprise

Lieutenant Soo: "Who was that idiot?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:04 am 

I'm digging Orville. My favorite moment is during the 4th episode when they have to abandon the away team temporarily while responding to a crisis. Such a situation would not be unheard of, there would be doctrine to follow for such a situation, and the crew promptly applied the doctrine, and it worked.

I think describing it as having the spirit of TOS, with the production values of the later series, with the occasional circumcision joke is pretty apt so far.

Ratings took a big hit when it moved to Thursday, but I hope it will get a 2nd season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:03 pm 

Orville keeps rolling along, and it's getting better. I don't remember liking any of the Trek shows casts this much, this early
Last night was not bad, nice touches and even the B-plot was ok. Issac as Mr Potatohead was a win, but he really needs some finer control on pranking-back :twisted:
Ed's desk gains a new decoration; Kermit for the win!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:21 pm 

Nathan45 wrote:
I'm digging Orville. My favorite moment is during the 4th episode when they have to abandon the away team temporarily while responding to a crisis. Such a situation would not be unheard of, there would be doctrine to follow for such a situation, and the crew promptly applied the doctrine, and it worked.

And it's an interesting contrast with "Command Performance," which did feature some agonized back-and-forthing over what to do, and resulted in a different decision. Different circumstances, of course.

Nathan45 wrote:
I think describing it as having the spirit of TOS, with the production values of the later series, with the occasional circumcision joke is pretty apt so far.

I think the phrases I've used most in describing it are, "It's more Star Trek than the last two (at least!) Star Trek shows!" and "It's hardly Seth MacFarlane-y at all!"

Nathan45 wrote:
Ratings took a big hit when it moved to Thursday, but I hope it will get a 2nd season.

That's true in terms of absolute numbers (courtesy of having Sunday Night Football as a lead-in). The show's numbers are still pretty good for a Thursday night, though; and it's getting good word of mouth, so there's hope for further improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

Orville is continuing to be good. I do hope it gets a second season, perhaps the a-list appearances will help to bolster the numbers.

I noticed that four of the five episodes that have aired have been directed by Trek alumni. Robert Duncan Mcneill, Brannon Braga, James L. Conway and Jonathan Frakes.
Interesting that Brannon Braga is also an executive producer, there were a lot of harsh words said of him by fans back in the day. Perhaps a bit unjustified.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:02 pm 

Watched Command Performance tonight. I thought it was impressive. I did like Alara Kitan reinforcing herself with the odd tequila shot. These people are human (all right, the aliens are aliens) the point is one can identify with them The scene in the first episode where the Captaina nd first officer are having an end-of-marriage blame row while the evil baddie gets steadily more frustrated is priceless.